Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

18 Pages V « < 13 14 15 16 17 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> '73 2.0, a yellow storage unit find
arne
post Sep 20 2017, 11:48 AM
Post #281

Serial Rescuer of old vehicles...

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,799
Region Association: None

I’ve got the shock/strut situation figured out thanks to Mark and Craig. Will be a bit before they all arrive, but only a few hours work to install. Thanks, gentlemen.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
arne
post Sep 20 2017, 12:29 PM
Post #282

QUOTE(arne @ Sep 7 2017, 06:34 PM) *
QUOTE(914 7T3 @ Sep 7 2017, 05:16 PM) *
Looking good Arne! The car is so clean, you should already have a few World Members lined up to buy it.
No, no one is lined up to buy it so far. But I suspect that it may not be clear to most of the World that I will be putting it up for sale as soon as I'm convinced it is ready. A few of you understand that, as we've chatted about it in person or on the phone.
Well, the word that the car will be for sale in a few weeks must be spreading, I've been contacted by a few parties expressing some interest. Since this build thread is a decent record of my progress, and also provides some insight into my philosophy, approach and goals, I will be adding some additional pictures, details and descriptions of different aspects of the car to the thread as time allows. Probably starting later tonight.
+Quote Post
arne
post Sep 21 2017, 11:23 AM
Post #283

Realized I hadn't posted the most recent pictures here yet. Still plenty of small items left on the punch list (link in my signature), but getting close now.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-20799-1505963452_thumb.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-20799-1505963471_thumb.jpg)

+Quote Post
arne
post Sep 21 2017, 09:02 PM
Post #284

Finally tested the repaired rear window defroster (after the relay that the car was missing arrived today). It works!! Well, after a fashion, I suppose. Can’t expect it to work like a modern car. But a bit of fog applied by breathing on it while switched on does start to clear at the grid lines and goes from there. Calling it good.

This is actually a bigger thing than it seems, at least to me. I dislike selling cars with disclaimers about things that don’t work. I want EVERYTHING to work when I’m done.

Well, almost everything. I normally don’t fix the door and seat belt buzzers, if they still exist. I hate those things...
+Quote Post
arne
post Sep 23 2017, 06:34 PM
Post #285

Checked a few more things off the punch list recently, but had to add another item. (You’d think I’d be past the point of finding new problems now, but that’s not true.)

Notable things are the new bearing in the steering column, and fixing the pressure leak in the windshield washer at the column switch. Love the newly solid steering wheel.

Ready to start on the struts and shocks soon, they were supposed to be delivered USPS today, but the mailman hasn’t made it up here yet. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

And that new issue? The heater blower motor in the engine compartment is mostly rust inside, and is totally seized. I’m going to have to hunt down a replacement.
+Quote Post
arne
post Sep 24 2017, 07:02 PM
Post #286

And the shocks and struts (which the mailman brought at about 7:00 pm last night) are in as well. I’m very pleased, the Boge/Sachs OEM dampers seem to be even better matched to the stock t-bars and light 100# springs than the Konis were, even when they seemed ok. The car rides better and is less fussy to drive fast.

This weekend’s work was big. The two most important of the punch list items are done - the steering column bearing and the shocks. With those two done, the car is pretty much a functional car again. If I had to, I could sell it now and not feel too bad about it.

But I don’t need to sell it tomorrow, so I will continue to pick away at the remaining items. Definitely on track to have it ready to go by mid-October.
+Quote Post
914_7T3
post Sep 24 2017, 07:07 PM
Post #287

Please forgive me, I'm new to all of this!

Member No.: 20,991
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
arne
post Sep 25 2017, 06:26 PM
Post #288

Today’s work was the new AGM battery and hold down, and the rubber horn pad mushroom spring thingie.

Tomorrow, I’ve got no new parts, so will be working on some fiddly detailing bits. Waiting on the heater blower motor and console recovering kit from 914rubber.

Still pondering the leather steering wheel cover. I like the look of the AGLA cover better as it covers the rubber part of the grip that goes a ways up the spokes. But I’m not sold on the quality of AGLA leather on shift boots I’ve bought in the past, so their wheel kit is a bit suspect to me. I’ve used Wheelskins in the past, nice quality leather, but those only cover the grip, not the spoke bases. Decisions, decisions...
+Quote Post
napasteve
post Sep 25 2017, 08:12 PM
Post #289

914 driving winemaker

Member No.: 15,327
Region Association: Northern California

Jesus Arne, drive it for a while and enjoy it! Just sayin.
+Quote Post
arne
post Sep 25 2017, 09:24 PM
Post #290

QUOTE(napasteve @ Sep 25 2017, 07:12 PM) *
Jesus Arne, drive it for a while and enjoy it! Just sayin.
I’m not opposed to that idea. But I have people who want to buy it now. So when it is done, it’ll be sold. Of course, I have to drive it to be sure it’s done... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Already snooping about for my next project...
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Sep 25 2017, 09:29 PM
Post #291

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068

I'm surprised you haven't fallen a bit in love with it and have decided to keep it?
+Quote Post
arne
post Sep 25 2017, 10:17 PM
Post #292

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Sep 25 2017, 08:29 PM) *
I'm surprised you haven't fallen a bit in love with it and have decided to keep it?
No, not really. I wasn’t looking for a 914 specifically when I bought it. My hobby is to find, rescue and resurrect old sports cars. They need to be something I’m interested in at least a little, and something that has enough of a following that I should be able to sell it when I’m done with it. The 914 - in particular, this example - meets that criteria. There has never been any question but that I would sell it when it’s completed. If I kept it, I wouldn’t be able to do another project later, I don’t have anyplace to store more than 3 cars at a time.

I will say that I have grown to respect the 914 more during this project. They are a really fun little sports runabout even when stock. I can see why people love them. (I’ll admit that I like the 914 a lot more than I do last year’s project 944.) While I like learning new stuff, and so I typically don’t do the same car twice, the 914 has been fun, and I could see doing another if a suitable example showed up.
+Quote Post
napasteve
post Sep 25 2017, 10:24 PM
Post #293

914 driving winemaker

Member No.: 15,327
Region Association: Northern California

Well Arne, let me say that I have enjoyed watching your build and I have a lot of respect for your approach and skills. And I have learned some things while following. Thanks.
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Sep 25 2017, 11:23 PM
Post #294

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
arne
post Sep 26 2017, 05:49 PM
Post #295

Goes in for PPI on Thursday. I will still wrap up the loose ends prior to final sale, but things are proceeding.
+Quote Post
dax1969
post Sep 27 2017, 05:49 AM
Post #296

Member No.: 17,103

QUOTE(arne @ Sep 27 2017, 01:49 AM) *

Goes in for PPI on Thursday. I will still wrap up the loose ends prior to final sale, but things are proceeding.

Woow sold before even advertised ? I missed already a few good ones in the classifieds due to being overseas and timedifference but now cars are getting sold even before they're finished... How will I ever find one ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Amazing job/skills.

krgds
Dax
+Quote Post
arne
post Sep 27 2017, 10:48 AM
Post #297

QUOTE(dax1969 @ Sep 27 2017, 04:49 AM) *
Woow sold before even advertised ? I missed already a few good ones in the classifieds due to being overseas and timedifference but now cars are getting sold even before they're finished... How will I ever find one ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Amazing job/skills.

krgds
Dax
Well, still just pending sale at this point, but mostly yes. A World member mentioned the car and this build thread to someone at a car gathering a while back, and that person contacted me and has been following progress for several weeks. I will continue to finish the car after the PPI, but at this point I expect the sale to be final in a couple weeks.
+Quote Post
dax1969
post Sep 27 2017, 11:27 AM
Post #298

Member No.: 17,103

Nice... just build another one... for me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
arne
post Sep 27 2017, 02:30 PM
Post #299

QUOTE(dax1969 @ Sep 27 2017, 10:27 AM) *
Nice... just build another one... for me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Have to find the correct starting point. Not all cars are suitable for my skill set. If I find such a one, I’ll be in touch. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
arne
post Sep 28 2017, 11:06 PM
Post #300

PPI found no new issues, all is as expected. Will resume finishing the loose ends tomorrow.
+Quote Post

18 Pages V « < 13 14 15 16 17 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 09:43 PM