Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

111 Pages V « < 56 57 58 59 60 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Intro from Montana: '73 2.0L rustoration thread
bbrock
post Jul 25 2019, 09:03 AM
Post #1141

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

^^^^ That's a pic my wife would take (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

Got the front calipers reassembled and finger tight on the car. Ran into a couple snags over course, because we can't have too many delays getting this tub off the rotisserie.

Somehow I wound up with one short brake pad pin so I'll have to order one. Otherwise, the calipers look real purty (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

Attached Image

Even better bolted on the car.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Then I noticed a problem. Brake line no connecty.

Attached Image

I didn't remember seeing banjo fittings there but sure enough, verified they should be there with the PET. Laid awake a little last night wondering where I might have misplaced them. Spent some time early this morning rummaging through boxes with no luck. Finally, I pulled all the old brake lines out of the scrap pile to see if they held any clues. Sure enough, they did.

Attached Image

Somebody had performed a banjo delete by just straitening and reforming those lines. I knew those PO receipts for brake work at Midas were going to bite me in the butt. Now I need to track down a pair of banjo fittings for these fronts. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Jul 25 2019, 11:00 AM
Post #1142

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744

the calipers I sent had the brake line that went directly into the caliper...

https://www.pmbperformance.com/914-brake-lines.html
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jul 25 2019, 12:11 PM
Post #1143

914 Guru

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jul 25 2019, 11:00 AM) *

Well look at that!! Now I know what happened. 73 MY cars can have either early or late hard lines. Based on the pics I sent to PMB of my brake regulator, I needed an early brake line kit. My car appears to be a true bastard step child with its mix of early and late brake components so it looks like I had a mix of hard line components to match. I need to send the b-stock nose pieces to @Eric_Shea anyway so I'll toss these early lines in the box and order the late ones. Thanks for pointing that out! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Jul 25 2019, 12:20 PM
Post #1144

914 Wizard

i even took a pic.. line from the cali.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jul 25 2019, 02:34 PM
Post #1145

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jul 25 2019, 01:00 PM) *

Same - 1973 April build per door sticker
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jul 25 2019, 02:37 PM
Post #1146

914 Guru

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jul 25 2019, 12:20 PM) *

i even took a pic.. line from the cali.

Thanks for the pic. I'd say if you account for my original being a bit more beat up than that one, they are a pretty good match. At least I'm not losing my mind not remembering those banjo fittings! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t2.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Aug 5 2019, 08:55 PM
Post #1147

914 Guru

Might be overdue for a critter pic. Took these a few minutes ago from our deck.

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Aug 6 2019, 02:11 PM
Post #1148

914 Guru

PMB Performance came through once again! Yesterday, I received a pair of late hard lines to connect my front calipers. Eric didn't even bill me for shipping. Can't say enough about how helpful he's been. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Attached Image

That leaves me one caliper pin short of being able to fill and bleed the system before pulling the car off the rotisserie. The curse of the brakes continues though. While I was installing the final hard lines, Pelican sent an email informing me that the pin I had ordered would have to be ordered direct from Germany with a 20% upcharge over what was frankly an already overpriced item. I cancelled that item and just ordered it from another vendor in the US that claims to have it in stock and for a better price. Just another of what seems to be endless delays this summer.

After being out of town all of last week and having other obligations over the weekend, I'm eager to start making progress on the car again. Body filler should arrive tomorrow so I can start smoothing the little blemishes left from the body work.
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Aug 7 2019, 12:06 PM
Post #1149

914 Wizard

put the pads and one pin ,,start the sometimes horror of bleeding 914 brakes... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Aug 7 2019, 12:39 PM
Post #1150

914 Guru

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Aug 7 2019, 12:06 PM) *

put the pads and one pin ,,start the sometimes horror of bleeding 914 brakes... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif)

Thanks. I have one correct pin plus the short one in the last caliper and plan to pick up brake fluid next time I'm in town. Figure I'll get enough tubing to hook up all four corners for the "gravity" method and see how far that gets me. While the car is still on the rotisserie, it will be easy to crack lines at the MC and regulator if needed to coax the fluid through. Curious to see how this magic gravity method works on a brand new, bone dry system. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif)

Oh, it looks like the other pin should be here Friday which is probably my next chance to get brake fluid anyway.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Aug 9 2019, 04:43 PM
Post #1151

914 Guru

Gearing up for the weekend. Those who've read my first intro post on this thread may recall I've had a big beef with AA for decades. Received a small order of some hard to find bits and that caliper pin today and must say George did okay. Good prices, cheap shipping, and it shipped and arrived promptly. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)

Picked up enough tubing today to open all four calipers at once and let gravity do its thing over the weekend. We'll see how far this goes toward making me... er, I mean my brakes... hard. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blush.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
raynekat
post Aug 9 2019, 04:48 PM
Post #1152

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,263
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

OK Brent....I'll be watching your brake bleeding progress.

I will be doing the same thing next week I believe.
I've got one of those pressure brake bleeding systems, so hopefully there won't be any drama.
But these are 914 Porsches, eh?
What could possibly go wrong? Ha
+Quote Post
Archie
post Aug 9 2019, 05:16 PM
Post #1153

Member No.: 10,844
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 3 2017, 03:07 PM) *

Sorry, but I gotta ask...

Are you gonna be a dental floss tycoon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSsCU1Dym-Y

--DD

"I'm moving to Montana soon,
yippee hi-ho kayaaay!"
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Aug 9 2019, 06:10 PM
Post #1154

914 Guru

QUOTE(raynekat @ Aug 9 2019, 04:48 PM) *

OK Brent....I'll be watching your brake bleeding progress.

I will be doing the same thing next week I believe.
I've got one of those pressure brake bleeding systems, so hopefully there won't be any drama.
But these are 914 Porsches, eh?
What could possibly go wrong? Ha

I should probably add a link to the article I'm following from the brake guru himself: https://www.pmbperformance.com/gravity-bleed.html

Tubes are on and reservoir is filled. This is the first fresh fluid in the car in 35+ years! I'm actually skeptical that gravity bleed alone will work. I think I read somewhere that Eric recommends pressure bleeding for fresh, completely dry systems. I think I'll need to crack the lines around the MC to break vapor lock before the fluid will start moving through the lines. With the car up on the rotisserie, this will be pretty easy. Stay tuned. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Attached Image

+Quote Post
bbrock
post Aug 9 2019, 06:12 PM
Post #1155

914 Guru

QUOTE(Archie @ Aug 9 2019, 05:16 PM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 3 2017, 03:07 PM) *

Sorry, but I gotta ask...

Are you gonna be a dental floss tycoon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSsCU1Dym-Y

--DD

"I'm moving to Montana soon,
yippee hi-ho kayaaay!"

Where in Montana? You need to watch this for sure. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyLMwzDR4qY

+Quote Post
bbrock
post Aug 9 2019, 08:33 PM
Post #1156

914 Guru

Well okay. I'm kinda sold on this gravity bleed method! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) As expected, the MC was a little stubborn. The rear circuit flowed just fine and I'd say after 20 minutes of just sitting, I had fluid standing in the tubes at the calipers. I drummed on the calipers and regulator with a rubber mallet a bit to knock any air bubbles loose and left it sit.

The front circuit was a different story. It just didn't want to flow. I tried cracking the line where it exits the MC and pumping the pedal but no fluid would come out. I started panicking that the inlet tube was somehow clogged but verified that wasn't the case. Or maybe something was wrong with the MC. Finally, I hooked up a Mity-Vac to the front circuit outlet of the MC and pulled a vacuum. That did the trick to pull fluid through and break the air lock. After that, it was just sit and wait.

After shutting down the bleeders, I tested the peddle with my hand. It took a few pumps to push the pistons out, but it feels pretty good! I don't expect a really firm peddle until I've set the rear vent clearances, bedded the pads in, and bled the system again. But I have to say, I like how it feels and it was a pretty painless process. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Aug 10 2019, 03:55 AM
Post #1157

914 Guru

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

Glad you and George have made up!

I had a couple of bad transactions back in the 80s but have had nothing but success on this recent project. One little thing got a little screwed up but it was made right after a few emails. I don't even know if it was George on the other end, it just got fixed with no drama.

I chalk it up to:
1). Cocaine, big hair, and pastel linen sport coats of the 80s.
2). Age. We are all a bit older, wiser, and maybe more patient now?
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Aug 10 2019, 08:21 AM
Post #1158

914 Guru

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Aug 10 2019, 03:55 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

Glad you and George have made up!

I wouldn't go that far, but it's a start. I'm willing to believe people can change. I do appreciate the knowledge and help he brings to the forums and his positive contributions to the community.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Aug 10 2019, 09:11 AM
Post #1159

914 Guru

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

I agree you got hammered way harder than I ever did. But as you state, he continues to contribute and has a passion for 914's.

Who else is still in business from the 80's?

I used to use Performance Products out of LA and liked them but they are long gone.

Stoddard - they don't seem to support 914's like they used to but not bad in anyway.

AASE but they have changed ownership if I recall. Still good folks though!

Wasn't there one called Automotion?

Plus who else had the foresight to buy a 916 back before they were loved. Gotta love that move.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Aug 11 2019, 03:29 PM
Post #1160

914 Guru

Got filler applied and sanded on the passenger side. Can't say I'm proud of these pics because I was envisioning a lot more bare metal showing after blocking the filler. The filler is a max of 1/16" deep except for one small area on the rear quarter where the filler is closer to 1/8." That was after spending probably 40 hours trying to straighten both quarters after all the cutting and welding. What can I say? I'm an amateur. It is still WAY better than most collision shops would do and far less filler than I took off the car.

I was surprised and a little disappointed to find the sail panel had a slight concavity to it from the stamping. I guess I should have spent some time prepping that panel to make sure it was flat before welding it on. Since my car will have painted sails, I didn't think I had a choice but to fill it. Again, it only took 1/16" to bring it true but I hate seeing all that filler over a brand new panel.

Attached Image

Attached Image

The rest of the afternoon will be spent tracking down a small brake fluid leak from the master cylinder area. I'll have to pull the gravel pan off to see exactly where. Hopefully, it is something simple. It could turn into a really bad day. What's worrisome is that I let the car sit overnight with fluid before putting the pan on, and there were no drips. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)
+Quote Post

111 Pages V « < 56 57 58 59 60 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:40 PM