Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

111 Pages V « < 62 63 64 65 66 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Intro from Montana: '73 2.0L rustoration thread
raynekat
post Sep 28 2019, 02:47 PM
Post #1261

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,263
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Get that snowblower warmed up Brent.
Seriously you are doing a great job with your build.
All on your own.
I had to bankroll some of mine for sure.
You must get a lot satisfaction from doing it all yourself.
Nice flocked glovebox ya got there too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Sep 28 2019, 05:43 PM
Post #1262

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) We all know what a flocker Brent is. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Seriously, the paint prep is looking great. And I'm going to steal your "how to get the lids to fit" trick. Very nice, thanks!
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Sep 28 2019, 08:44 PM
Post #1263

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Sep 28 2019, 05:43 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) We all know what a flocker Brent is. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Seriously, the paint prep is looking great. And I'm going to steal your "how to get the lids to fit" trick. Very nice, thanks!

Ha Ha (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) Don't be knocking the flocking. Whenever I show the car to anyone, I make them stick their hand in the glove box and feel how nice it is. Everybody enjoys a good flocking. The flocked glove box is just one of many examples that I have not done this all by myself. The labor may be all mine, but I've had a LOT of help from you all in many ways. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

Scratch that. The labor is NOT all mine. Somebody did a fantastic job vapor blasting my carbs @mepstein
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Sep 28 2019, 08:51 PM
Post #1264

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(bbrock @ Sep 28 2019, 10:44 PM) *

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Sep 28 2019, 05:43 PM) *

Ha Ha (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) Don't be knocking the flocking. Whenever I show the car to anyone, I make them stick their hand in the glove box and feel how nice it is. Everybody enjoys a good flocking. The flocked glove box is just one of many examples that I have not done this all by myself. The labor may be all mine, but I've had a LOT of help from you all in many ways. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

Scratch that. The labor is NOT all mine. Somebody did a fantastic job vapor blasting my carbs @mepstein

Thanks. I have a limited skill set so happy to help when I can.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Sep 29 2019, 05:39 AM
Post #1265

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Hang in there on the weather. Could just as well be in the 60's two weeks from now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Sep 29 2019, 08:51 AM
Post #1266

914 Guru

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Sep 29 2019, 05:39 AM) *

Hang in there on the weather. Could just as well be in the 60's two weeks from now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Thanks, I'm counting on it. Could easily be in the 70s in two weeks. As you know, this snow is pretty normal this time of year but doesn't mean winter is here yet. I went back and checked the blog. Last year I sprayed undercoat on Oct. 21 and color on the interior on Nov. 15. Getting another weather window or two is quite likely. Having my (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) together to be able to take advantage of it is the challenge. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

Here's a pic from Sept. 28 of last year. Nothing new here.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-20845-1538141628_thumb.jpg)
+Quote Post
euro911
post Sep 29 2019, 02:53 PM
Post #1267

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

Just be glad a big storm doesn't suddenly come in and gets you stranded in town for the evening ... and your wife calls you to say she'll be getting 8 inches tonight (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Oct 1 2019, 11:57 AM
Post #1268

914 Guru

Well, another example of the help I've gotten on this project. Was surprised to find this waiting in my mailbox yesterday.

Attached Image

Many thanks @914_7T3 and @Superhawk996 ! You know how I love stickers. I owe you again! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
preach
post Oct 1 2019, 02:56 PM
Post #1269

Ridge Runner

Member No.: 11,513
Region Association: North East States

Very cool!

How much snow did you get?
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Oct 1 2019, 04:24 PM
Post #1270

914 Guru

QUOTE(preach @ Oct 1 2019, 02:56 PM) *

Very cool!

How much snow did you get?

About six inches. Mark was being generous with his estimate (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
914_7T3
post Oct 1 2019, 06:45 PM
Post #1271

Please forgive me, I'm new to all of this!

Member No.: 20,991
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(bbrock @ Oct 1 2019, 10:57 AM) *

Well, another example of the help I've gotten on this project. Was surprised to find this waiting in my mailbox yesterday.

Attached Image

Many thanks @914_7T3 and @Superhawk996 ! You know how I love stickers. I owe you again! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Glad you like them. There will be another version of the expansion tank decal on its way to you with the correct yellow background. They ended up printing this one on gold foil (similar to the ones in a 911 engine bay) instead.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Oct 1 2019, 07:47 PM
Post #1272

914 Guru

QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Oct 1 2019, 06:45 PM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Oct 1 2019, 10:57 AM) *

Attached Image

Glad you like them. There will be another version of the expansion tank decal on its way to you with the correct yellow background. They ended up printing this one on gold foil (similar to the ones in a 911 engine bay) instead.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

And thanks again! I wondered about the expansion tank decal. I thought maybe they had used a couple versions. It all makes sense now.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Oct 2 2019, 04:53 AM
Post #1273

914 Guru

Not get some color on there would ya'. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Oct 13 2019, 04:23 PM
Post #1274

914 Guru

These pics were taken exactly 35 years ago today. That idiot has no idea how lucky he is...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-20845-1513793925.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-20845-1490653792.jpg)
+Quote Post
BPic
post Oct 13 2019, 04:27 PM
Post #1275

Member No.: 21,864
Region Association: South East States

Happy Anniversary Brent!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Oct 13 2019, 04:48 PM
Post #1276

914 Guru

Congratulations! Maybe a ride in a 914 again for your 36th. Wouldn't that be something?
+Quote Post
Dion
post Oct 13 2019, 07:26 PM
Post #1277

RN

Member No.: 2,766
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Happy Anniversary Brent.
Hmmm wonder if it would have been cheaper to restore that T-bird in the background (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Oct 13 2019, 09:03 PM
Post #1278

914 Guru

Thanks all. Just got home from a nice dinner with the wife. I can't remember whose T-bird that is. Might have been my uncles. The Plymouth pickup was the best man's car which always cracks me up. His first car was a LeMans. That was the first car I experiences 100+ mph in and thought I was going to die. He sold that for a sweet 69 Firebird. That was the first car I experienced WELL over 100 mph in. Then he went for that pickup and drove it for many years. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) That truck hauled the left fender of the trailer trash Porsche in the pic from the junk yard after I wrecked it the first time. On this day, our cousin had safely hidden Elizabeth's much nicer 914 for us that day so it didn't the 'just married' treatment. A couple months later, I bought the car I'm restoring now and sold this one for parts after swiping the engine. That engine wound up in a VW bus we bought a couple years later. The very bus and engine in the story posted back on page 51. Oh to be young and poor again...
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Oct 14 2019, 11:15 AM
Post #1279

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Nov 6 2019, 02:17 PM
Post #1280

914 Guru

Ad Astra per Aspera

That's the motto of my home state of Kansas and aptly describes the last month of this project. It translates to: To the stars through hardship If I detail everything that has gone wrong, it would fill a book so I'll stick to the highlights.

Winter came early and we have had cold and snow all through October, including a series of record breaking low temps. Our thermometer read 16 below zero at one point, flanked by sub zero temps in days before and after. Let's just say, the weather window for painting in the tent closed a good month early this year.

Attached Image

The problems that mothballing the car project for possibly nine months before good weather returns are unacceptable, so I started looking for a way to paint in the garage. There were three large obstacles to this: Space, dirt, and not being able to park the DD in the garage during a period of monumentally shitty weather.

The space issue needed to be tackled first. When we designed our house, we made the garage as small as possible with the intention of building a larger detached garage later and converting the current garage to living space. We have a timbe frame house, and the timbers in the garage eliminate a total of 13 feet of free span space. After a bit of measuring, it looked like could position the car diagonally across both car bays and have about 30" of clearance at four pinch points. Not ideal, but it might just work. I moved a bunch of shit around, re-positioned the car, and staged panels that would be sprayed off the car to test. Not great, but might just work. The worst would be spraying the interiors of panels off the car. Once that was done, they would be fitted to the chassis which would make things more workable. This shows just how tight and cluttered the shop was.

Attached Image

Then I pushed the car through the snow out to the tent to give the shop a thorough cleaning. This garage has been a woodworking shop for 15 years, then a welding shop, then a bodwork work shop, plus contains the mechanicals for the house. It had every kind of dust and dirt imaginable, up to a quarter inch deep in some places. Best of all, a giant wood rack hanging from the ceiling to make the perfect dirt disperser for painting.

Attached Image

Everything got vacuumed, blown with compressed air, hosed and scrubbed. That took two days. Then the floor was covered with plastic tarps and plastic sheeting was hung to try to create a clean space.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Space was tight, but finally ready to paint panel interiors, door jambs, thresholds, and deck seal gutters on Saturday. It was not without incident. I got some trash in the front deck that had to be sanded out and resprayed on Sunday.

Attached Image

As I was laying the last coat of clear on one of the thresholds, my elbow hit one of the workstand legs a door was on and knocked the gun forward causing a run.

Attached Image

Attached Image

That one will be hidden but I'll fix it anyway. I got a couple of other runs on the jambs just because I'm stupid. Those will also get fixed. Overall, I was happy with the result but I guess I didn't take any pics.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

111 Pages V « < 62 63 64 65 66 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:46 AM