Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

66 Pages V « < 64 65 66  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Intro from Montana: '73 2.0L rustoration thread, Well this sucks...
Superhawk996
post Nov 8 2019, 07:23 PM
Post #1301

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Brent you’ve set a high bar by working with silver metallic. It is notoriously hard to do spot fixes and blending on metallics and even more so on silver.

If you want perfection you likely need to take it back and respray the base coat. However from what I can see in the photos I’d leave it. Given that you’re on a dirt road the first stone chip will cause more grief and trauma if you achieve perfection. If you already have a flaw or two, you’ll feel much more at ease actually driving it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

And wasn’t the goal really to drive and enjoy it? Just food for thought.

You’ve made great progress in saving a bad situation. That alone is a reason to stand tall!

Keep at it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Nov 8 2019, 09:28 PM
Post #1302

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Nov 8 2019, 06:23 PM) *

Brent you’ve set a high bar by working with silver metallic. It is notoriously hard to do spot fixes and blending on metallics and even more so on silver.

If you want perfection you likely need to take it back and respray the base coat. However from what I can see in the photos I’d leave it. Given that you’re on a dirt road the first stone chip will cause more grief and trauma if you achieve perfection. If you already have a flaw or two, you’ll feel much more at ease actually driving it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

And wasn’t the goal really to drive and enjoy it? Just food for thought.

You’ve made great progress in saving a bad situation. That alone is a reason to stand tall!

Keep at it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

Ha! Don't worry, perfection is not an option. It's hard to photograph but those flecks really are distracting. Worse than a stone chip will look. There are a few somewhat similar flecks on the car, that don't bother me. The hood is kind of the focal point of the car though and those flaws really scream at you.

Surprisingly, I'm not too worried about matching the silver. First, this wouldn't be quite a "spot fix" but a respray of two panels. But here's the thing, spraying that stuff was actually quite easy. Maybe it was because I spent so much time watching Youtubes of spraying silver and knew what to avoid. The first coat goes on mottled and tiger striped, but by the second coat, everything looks nice and even. A third coat to make sure nothing is missed and two drop coats to finish the job. In the course of painting this, I sprayed the engine lid, headlight covers, and blinders off the car. They are a dead match to the other paint. I also made about a dozen spot repairs during the course of laying base coat. The worst were two hose touches that wiped the base off down to the sealer, and one attempt to pick a piece of trash out that went bad and required sanding back a six inch diameter area to smooth things out and spotting in the base. After dusting over the repairs the last time, I defy anyone to find where those repairs were made. I actually regret not being a bit more bold about making repairs before spraying clear. Upshot is, after all the worry and hand ringing of not being able to lay the silver consistently, it turned out not to be much of a problem This DBC was way easier to spray than the cheaper Omni single stage.

There's more than a good chance I'll be breaking out the silver tomorrow. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Nov 9 2019, 08:24 AM
Post #1303

914 Guru

Member No.: 2,744

there is always the SEMA option ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
PCA7GGR
post Nov 9 2019, 08:26 AM
Post #1304

Member No.: 1,219

Hand woven Persian rugs are always made with a flaw. Making it perfect would be an affront to Allah - ;>)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Nov 11 2019, 07:46 PM
Post #1305

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20,845

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

The hood is just resting on a new 914Rubber seal without hinges or latch. That's why it looks misaligned.

Spent Saturday finishing the sanding, then cleaning, masking and prepping. I reshot the hood, cowl, and windshield frame with silver base followed by one wet coat of clear. Then I unmasked the left fender and shot two more wet coats. I did it that way because there was still a good amount of clear left on the fender after sanding, so I guessed it was about one coat's worth and made up the difference. I'm not sure these are in focus, but here's a couple shots after reshooting base before the clear went on.

Attached Image

Attached Image

I know the flaws in the paint looked kind of minor in the pics, but trust me, they weren't. You could easily tell it was an amateur paint job from 10 feet away because of all the trash on the hood and cowl. I'll follow up with more about that, but I didn't spend the last two and a half years putting the body back together to settle for a half-assed paint job. There's no chance that Allah will be offended, but I'm MUCH happier now. I'm actually glad I spilled the paint because it force me to fix what would have been a very disappointing paint job. I still have some spots that got dry overspray in the chaos following the spill, and there are plenty of dust nibs. Yesterday I ordered this kit to correct those issues.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com-20845-1573523184.1.jpg)

+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Nov 11 2019, 07:56 PM
Post #1306

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Well done! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) That looks great.
+Quote Post
doug_b_928
post Nov 11 2019, 08:41 PM
Post #1307

Member No.: 15,382
Region Association: Canada

It looks incredible...well done!
+Quote Post
defianty
post Nov 12 2019, 04:15 AM
Post #1308

Member No.: 6,621
Region Association: None

Looks great Brent!
+Quote Post
Dion
post Nov 12 2019, 06:32 AM
Post #1309

RN aka Real Nurse or Registered nut.

Member No.: 2,766
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Fantastic!
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Nov 12 2019, 06:55 AM
Post #1310

914World Patron, but SirAndy can't find my badge

Member No.: 17,042
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(bbrock @ Nov 11 2019, 08:46 PM) *

I didn't spend the last two and a half years putting the body back together to settle for a half-assed paint job.

Brent, this has been and continues to be an epic thread (complete with wildlife!). Congratulations for making it to this point -- what a job (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
altitude411
post Nov 12 2019, 07:34 AM
Post #1311

I drove my 6 into a tree

Member No.: 17,932

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) Absolutely fantastic job man! Way to stick with it. It looks bad ass and after a cut and buff you may hear thunder.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
You should be very proud Mr. Brent. I hope to see you cruising southwest Montana this summer. Enjoy the fun part of the build and thanks for your time on this thread. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

66 Pages V « < 64 65 66
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
1 Members: doug_b_928

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th November 2019 - 08:04 PM