Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

111 Pages V « < 69 70 71 72 73 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Intro from Montana: '73 2.0L rustoration thread
aggiezig
post Jan 15 2020, 06:43 PM
Post #1401

Porsche Wannabe

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,557
Region Association: Southern California

Brent - your solution to the door stays is something I’ve been pondering in my head for months. Thanks for posting how you solved the issue. I think I will copy your method exactly. It’s been a few months but I just spent some time catching up on your work - you’re flying along man. The car will be driving in no time.

To echo what’s already been said, so sorry to hear about your furry friend. We just got our first pup a couple months back and I can’t imagine how hard it will hit when that day comes.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jan 15 2020, 08:46 PM
Post #1402

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(aggiezig @ Jan 15 2020, 05:43 PM) *

Brent - your solution to the door stays is something I’ve been pondering in my head for months. Thanks for posting how you solved the issue. I think I will copy your method exactly. It’s been a few months but I just spent some time catching up on your work - you’re flying along man. The car will be driving in no time.

To echo what’s already been said, so sorry to hear about your furry friend. We just got our first pup a couple months back and I can’t imagine how hard it will hit when that day comes.

@aggiezig

I would suggest going a little oversized on the aluminum bushing. I think a 3/8" O.D bushing would be ideal and would leave more wall around the bushing.

Thanks everyone for the continued condolences. Today was a particularly rough day for some reason but ended well. We put in an application to visit and maybe adopt a malamute in Boise but were informed someone was already in the process and the dog's adoption would be final last weekend. I learned today that the dog was adopted by a friend and colleague of mine who lives there and lost his malamute under similar circumstances as ours a couple years ago. I thought that was really cool and it kind of made my day to know the dog went to a great home and I may get to meet him yet.

Some other small updates to catch up on where I am.

I fixed the clock. It was the standard problem of the thermal fuse opening which is well documented so I want go into much detail. Like @Superhawk996 I could only find 138C low temp solder for sale and not 120C as speced on the clock. I'm sure that would be okay, but I noticed I still had pretty good blobs of solder on both sides of the thermal fuse so I decided to try just remelting the existing solder. It worked and the repair cost me only whatever electricity I bought to heat the soldering iron. Also like Phil, I found the old lubricant had gummed into a waxy substance which no doubt is why the fuse blew. After a bit of fishing in the Internets, I found a couple clock makers recommending brake cleaner as a suitable quick clean. It isn't the "right" way which is to completely disassemble the clock and soak in cleaner, but it should do. The only problem was that some of the cleaner seeped inside the clock face and I was worried it would mar the face or lens. Luckily, it evaporated without leaving more that a barely detectable trace. I may replace all the console gauge lenses with glass though because the plastic is yellowed and fogged.

The clock has been running a bit slow so needs adjusted, but I'll wait until the clock oil I ordered arrives so it is properly re-lubricated before any adjustments.

Attached Image

The other accomplishment was to get the door latches installed. I decided to just clean up the latch mechanisms and relubricate. I would like to replate them but they are a complex combination of bright cad and yellow cad pieces riveted together and I decided the chance of screwing them up was greater than the benefit. They cleaned up well. I did replate the catch posts and installed NOS rubber bumpers. here are almost all the parts cleaned and plated, ready to reassemble. One latch had already been installed at this point.

Attached Image

The door posts installed. That vent cover is another story I'll tell later.

Attached Image

Had a little scare when I couldn't get the pass door to shut flush even with the post adjusted all the way inward. I finally realized it was only closing to the first safety catch and the post actually needed to be adjusted outward. Once I did that, the door closed nice and flush with solid clunk that only German cars seem to have. I need to get the handles and other hardware sent to the chrome platers I guess.

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Jan 15 2020, 09:16 PM
Post #1403

914 Guru

Member No.: 447
Region Association: Southwest Region

Looking good Brent!
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jan 15 2020, 09:22 PM
Post #1404

914 Guru

I almost forgot, I did a little more digging into the 3-speed blower mystery this evening. I've confirmed that the controller switch is working just fine, that the wires are connected properly, and each speed wire has connectivity to the blower. I also deduced that even if I had a couple wires switched on the blower connector, the only symptom would be that I'd get the wrong speed relative to two switch positions. Finally, after carefully listening, I've concluded that I indeed am getting three speeds but the difference between medium and high is VERY subtle. I can only think of four possibilities here. 1) there is a short of some kind across the med speed resistor causing it to run faster, 2) there is resistance in the high speed causing it to run slower, 3) the difference between med and high is not that much anyway, and 4) the battery alone without alternator running is still not enough to push the blower at full speed and I might still find "high" once the motor is running. Of these, I think 2 and 4 are the most likely. I'm inclined to leave it alone until I have a running engine to see if it fixes itself. Can anyone tell me if the fresh air box can be removed an installed with the fuel tank in place? That could definitely influence my choice.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 15 2020, 09:43 PM
Post #1405

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

nope
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jan 15 2020, 10:53 PM
Post #1406

914 Guru

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 15 2020, 08:43 PM) *

nope

Are you saying that because it's true, or because I bragged about how easy the fresh air box was to install and you want to see me suffer? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Jan 15 2020, 11:30 PM
Post #1407

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(bbrock @ Jan 15 2020, 08:53 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 15 2020, 08:43 PM) *

nope

Are you saying that because it's true, or because I bragged about how easy the fresh air box was to install and you want to see me suffer? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Is there an answer that you’d trust at his point? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
raynekat
post Jan 15 2020, 11:54 PM
Post #1408

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,263
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

From my memory, the fresh air box cannot be removed with the fuel tank in place. But that's from my memory....and maybe it's not so great anymore. When I had to take my fresh air box out to work on the windshield wiper assembly, I know I was fussing because the fuel tank had to come out as well.

Your mileage may vary.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jan 16 2020, 12:03 AM
Post #1409

914 Guru

Bummer. Mostly just giving Mark a hard time and Marc an excuse to give me one. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif) Looks like I should plan on pulling the box to give those resistor coils and connections another look. Wish I had a reference of what med and high speed sound/feel like.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jan 16 2020, 05:47 AM
Post #1410

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(bbrock @ Jan 15 2020, 10:22 PM) *

4) the battery alone without alternator running is still not enough to push the blower at full speed and I might still find "high" once the motor is running.

It will probably will not run faster with the engine running.

A sound battery can source in excess of 300A-400A to run a starter motor in sub zero weather while still maintaining 11V across the terminals. For the purposes of a blower motor current source the battery is virtually infinite.

What might help ever so slightly is having 13.5-14 of system voltage. The higher voltage potential will tend to make the motor draw a little more current at a fixed motor + speed control winding resistance. The problem is that the resitance relationship between the three speeds won't have changed. Therefore what ever your speed delta is between speeds will remain proportionally the same. I.e. if the speed between medium and high is barely percepable, it would likely stay that way but just at a slightly higer speed due to the increased system voltage.

I can go grab my motor from storage this weekend and report back on what my 3 speeds do via battery unless someone else has easier access sooner.

I think you may be onto something that one of the resistor wire coils doesn't have 2 or 3 coils touching each other.
+Quote Post
andrewb
post Jan 16 2020, 07:54 AM
Post #1411

Member No.: 11,762
Region Association: None

QUOTE(bbrock @ Jan 16 2020, 08:03 AM) *

Bummer. Mostly just giving Mark a hard time and Marc an excuse to give me one. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif) Looks like I should plan on pulling the box to give those resistor coils and connections another look. Wish I had a reference of what med and high speed sound/feel like.

Can you beg, steal or borrow a strobe light ? Put a white paint mark on the fan and measure the relative speeds. You'll need someone else to do likeiwse on a known 'good' car to give a reference. Does seem odd that you can hardly hear a difference although the relationship between the correct relative speeds is not necessarily linear.

If you can't get hold of a strobe you may be lucky and get some data by looking at the marked up and spinning fan under fluorescent light - which is 50 Hz over here. I think you guys have 60 Hz ? Might be worth a try.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Feb 7 2020, 03:04 PM
Post #1412

914 Guru

The Blue Dot

As usual I've been juggling several projects on the car with plenty of progress but few at an interesting stage to share - except one. It was time to add some tunes to this tub.

I spent a LOT of time trying to figure out a head unit that suited me. For months I had a search alert for vintage Blaupunkt and Becker radios to see if I could snag a bargain. No luck. As everyone knows, those radios have become quite spendy and in the end, I simply couldn't justify if for 1970s electronics and, at best, a clunky interface for incorporating bluetooth and digital streaming capabilities. Next up was looking at the retro style modern radios. The best seem to be from Woody's Custom Radio. Still, they are not cheap and specifics on what you are getting are kind of vague. So what about a modern head unit? Well - they are almost all ugly as shit. The look like the spawn of hip hop and disco on crack. Things were looking bleak.

What about the Blue Dot? I'm not sure how many know that Blaupunkt really no longer exists. It is now owned by an investment conglomerate that simply licenses use of the name and logo. Still, I was curious so checked out their offerings. Nope, I found some of the most hideous looking POS radios yet. Then somehow I discovered the "International" region website for Blaupunkt and finally found head units with much more subdued styling and a bonus of the blue dot logo that looks at home in our cars. They are still made in China radios but I found one that had the features I wanted and styling that didn't make me want to hurl. It isn't going to pass as period correct by any stretch, but it looked like it would fit into the interior without being a glaring eyesore.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.blaupunkt.com-20845-1581109456.1.jpg)

I'm not crazy about the blue ring lights on the knobs when the power it on, but otherwise like the style. I didn't, however, like the stock mounting which leaves the nose sticking too far out of the dash with a bulbous plastic bezel.

Attached Image

Something had to be done about that so I fabricated a pair of custom brackets that nestle the unit deeper into the dash. I don't have good tools for cutting clean slots in sheet metal so they look pretty amateur, but nobody will see that when installed.

Attached Image

I planned to screw the brackets to the chassis but they snap so tightly onto some lugs I decided they weren't needed.

Attached Image

Mission accomplished. With the unit mounted just a few mm proud of the dash face, it blends in much better.

Attached Image

Next, I built a wire harness to hook it up. I bundled the unused wires near the radio plug outside the main harness so I can access them later if needed. The power antenna wire in that bundle will be tapped for an amplifier turn on wire but I'll wait until I'm certain where the amp will be mounted before adding that.

Attached Image

Staying true to the factory radio harnesses, I used AMP dual gender spade connectors so I can plug this harness into appropriate switch terminals on the dash, and plug the original switch wires into the male piggy back spades. Works pretty slick.

Attached Image

Finally, I fabricated a custom dash plate using my original as a template. I still had a scrap of the original trunk lid left which is the unobtainable exact gauge as the dash plates. I sure was jealous of @tygaboy 's plasma table while cutting this. I had to do it the hard way with snips, a jig saw, and files. Here's the original plate in the middle, with new plate below and all that remains of the original trunk lid above.

Attached Image

Covered in basket weave and installed, I don't think it is too bad. I have one more detail I'll probably add and will update on that later.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Feb 7 2020, 03:16 PM
Post #1413

914 Guru

Of course, the radio needs some place to send its signal so I bought a pair of 4x6 Infinity Kappa speakers and cut adapter plates out of some scrap hardboard I had on hand.

Attached Image

I had to glue nylon spacers over the screw holes to provide clearance for the speaker inside the factory grills.

Attached Image

Here they are mounted in the pods. I decided to mount them upside down to put the magnets up high where the heater hose is most flexible in case they needed to be push back a little.

Attached Image

With new speaker cloth in the grills, it all looks stock.

Attached Image

I'll have to say I'm pretty impressed with this system as it is. At first the speakers were really tight and didn't sound very good. But after they loosened up and I streamed some high quality lossless files to the head unit, they actually sound quite good and with decent volume. Of course, these little speakers can't produce respectable bass but the mids and highs are impressively crisp. After adding a subwoofer and amp, this should be a fairly respectable system for crusing. Y'all can say what you want about your engine note being your stereo. We'll just have to agree to disagree about that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post
BPic
post Feb 7 2020, 03:34 PM
Post #1414

Member No.: 21,864
Region Association: South East States

Nice work as usual @bbrock I’m looking at speakers now and think I’ll be able to put something a little bigger in since I don’t have heat and this no heater tubes. Luckily I have a friend that sells car audio stuff and I can borrow speakers to get the best fitment possible.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/rock_band.gif) Rock On!!
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Feb 7 2020, 03:58 PM
Post #1415

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

I think you did a great job- especially with the head unit. That looks really good and actually blends with the dash. Great result. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Dion
post Feb 8 2020, 09:38 PM
Post #1416

RN

Member No.: 2,766
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I really like what you did with the audio speakers. I’ll be using one of Woody’s hidden Bluetooth devices. Still needs to broadcast to something.
Mind if I copy that speaker set up? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Feb 8 2020, 11:02 PM
Post #1417

914 Guru

QUOTE(Dion @ Feb 8 2020, 08:38 PM) *

I really like what you did with the audio speakers. I’ll be using one of Woody’s hidden Bluetooth devices. Still needs to broadcast to something.
Mind if I copy that speaker set up? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Ha! Not really my idea, I was just copying what others have done. I forgot to mention that I did have to trim the speaker plates a little to clear the OEM grill screw holes. Plates are plastic so it was easy.
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Feb 9 2020, 06:48 AM
Post #1418

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744

Funny about stereos, I just put a cd player in my pos truck...$65.00 ,But hey its a Blaupunkt,,Dallas... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) with a remote,, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
dr.tim
post Feb 9 2020, 08:04 AM
Post #1419

Member No.: 13,907

Headunit install looks great, like it belongs there.

Looks like I will be in your neighborhood April 25 this year.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Feb 9 2020, 12:14 PM
Post #1420

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Brent, your car is coming along nicely. Glad to see you're still making great progress. I like the look of those speakers. I have a set of the 914 rubber 6" round pods on hand just in case, but, honestly I'd prefer to keep the stock grilles. Your fit up looks great. I think I'll just copy with pride.

I have a Blupunkt New Orleans MD-70 (thats a mini-disk player!) that came out of my Miata that will slot right into the 914 perfectly with the same DIN housing as you used. Doesn't look as suble though! Does have a RCA line in so I can still use iPod, or other device if I want.

Mini Discs were the recordable small format CD technology of early 1990's that still has a small cult following. Seems appropriate to put in a 914 that also has a small cult following . . . . . . cause I'm crazy like that! Plus, it's just sitting around waiting for a new home.
+Quote Post

111 Pages V « < 69 70 71 72 73 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:07 AM