Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

111 Pages V « < 73 74 75 76 77 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Intro from Montana: '73 2.0L rustoration thread
raynekat
post Mar 18 2020, 12:54 AM
Post #1481

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,263
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Nice job on that center cushion Brent.
You've reclaimed your title of chief mad scientist. Ha
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
FlacaProductions
post Mar 18 2020, 09:38 AM
Post #1482

Member No.: 21,628
Region Association: Southern California

Still fantastic work. Amazing - and it reads like a great novel...ups, downs, triumphs, tragedies and comedies ("Sure, you can still see it if you look for it, but it won't be noticeable, and if anybody does, I'm going to call them a dick.") - I literally laughed out loud.

ANYone interested in turning a wrench on a 914 needs to read this thread - SO many tips.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Mar 18 2020, 09:54 AM
Post #1483

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Ha! Thanks again guys. Very high praise indeed. I still have battery envy and reading that sentence that Brian quoted hurts to see all the comma splices... but yeah, I'll do it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Also, I'm happy to report that @falcor75 was spot on about the window scraper. I didn't do much else with it but has now stiffened up just enough for smooth window operation. The driver's side was never as much of a problem for some reason. Makes me wonder if there is something left behind from the molding process that evaporates out to make them a little less sticky. Anyway, I'm very happy.
+Quote Post
falcor75
post Mar 18 2020, 01:13 PM
Post #1484

Member No.: 15,176
Region Association: Scandinavia

I was right? I mean, of course I was right !

(can I have that in writing to show my Wife when needed?)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Mar 23 2020, 09:39 PM
Post #1485

914 Guru

I've got a lot of irons in the fire. I got quite a bit done over the weekend despite having a rather large obstacle to work around.

Attached Image

I cut some plastic for the door vapor barriers. After quite a bit of searching, I found the right stuff to stick them to the doors at the local crafts store. Krylon Easy-Tack is supposed to stay permanently tacky and allows repositioning. It matches the adhesive that was used on all the new cars I've had.

Attached Image

I never knew what the flaps on door vapor barriers were for, but someone on the Pelican forum said they are to guide condensation into the door to drain to the outside rather than drip inside the door and ruin the cards.

Attached Image

Attached Image

I've got a few other projects in the works I'll report on when they are done. Here's a peek inside the center console. It continues to amaze me just how far ahead of their time these cars were. How the hell did they know to include a USB charger decades before they were invented? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Amazing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Mar 23 2020, 10:24 PM
Post #1486

914 Guru

I've been using this little engineering masterpiece to prop open the frunk. Can you believe I made that myself?

Attached Image

I finally got around to refurbishing the springs. I rigged up this crude spring stretcher to open them just enough to be able to clean and paint. I would have made it prettier if it wasn't just going to be a one time use device.

Attached Image

After media blasting...

Attached Image

SEM trim paint is supposed to be flexible so should work well for the springs. Gloss matches the original finish.

Attached Image

And installed.

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
kroelofsen
post Mar 24 2020, 03:03 AM
Post #1487

Member No.: 23,255
Region Association: Europe

Hi Brent, nice work... How did you take of the frunk springs...?
+Quote Post
Specracer
post Mar 24 2020, 04:46 AM
Post #1488

Member No.: 20,970
Region Association: None

Just installed mine using a pair of visegrip pliers, grabbing just behind the hook where is it straight, and pull.

QUOTE(kroelofsen @ Mar 24 2020, 05:03 AM) *

+Quote Post
jaredmcginness
post Mar 24 2020, 05:34 AM
Post #1489

Member No.: 23,209
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

3 things.

-Love the dog, he is obviously enjoying the car.

-Nice add with the USB - modern problems require modern solutions.

-smart idea to spread and paint the frunk springs.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Mar 24 2020, 05:39 AM
Post #1490

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

@bbrock I can't believe how far ahead of me you are now.. Looks very nice..
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Mar 24 2020, 06:12 AM
Post #1491

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 24 2020, 12:24 AM) *

I rigged up this crude spring stretcher to open them just enough to be able to clean and paint.

Brent, I know that you can appreciate the fact that Chimps & Apes use tools in the wild.

However, the ability to make complex tools and solve complex problems is part of what really seperates humans from chimps. Likewise, humans have the more refined ability to pass along the learned knowledge much more quickly than ape's and chimps. After all isn't that why Al invented the Interwebz, or was that just for sending cute kitten pictures? I digress.

Love the spring puller. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) Thanks for helping to move me up the evolutionary ladder, just a bit farther from your average ape smashing a nut with a rock!

Attached Image
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Mar 24 2020, 07:45 AM
Post #1492

914 Guru

QUOTE(Specracer @ Mar 24 2020, 03:46 AM) *

Just installed mine using a pair of visegrip pliers, grabbing just behind the hook where is it straight, and pull.

QUOTE(kroelofsen @ Mar 24 2020, 05:03 AM) *

Yep, I used a shepard's hook shaped pick to pull the springs with brute force to get them on and off. Of course, you have to set the e-brake and/or block the wheels or you'll just be dragging the car around by the spring.
+Quote Post
ctc911ctc
post Mar 24 2020, 07:53 AM
Post #1493

Member No.: 22,206
Region Association: North East States

You have some vinyl sheet on the side of the car, can you tell me where you got it?

QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 23 2020, 09:39 PM) *

I've got a lot of irons in the fire. I got quite a bit done over the weekend despite having a rather large obstacle to work around.

Attached Image

I cut some plastic for the door vapor barriers. After quite a bit of searching, I found the right stuff to stick them to the doors at the local crafts store. Krylon Easy-Tack is supposed to stay permanently tacky and allows repositioning. It matches the adhesive that was used on all the new cars I've had.

Attached Image

I never knew what the flaps on door vapor barriers were for, but someone on the Pelican forum said they are to guide condensation into the door to drain to the outside rather than drip inside the door and ruin the cards.

Attached Image

Attached Image

I've got a few other projects in the works I'll report on when they are done. Here's a peek inside the center console. It continues to amaze me just how far ahead of their time these cars were. How the hell did they know to include a USB charger decades before they were invented? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Amazing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
bbrock
post Mar 24 2020, 08:18 AM
Post #1494

914 Guru

Here's a few more pics of the USB charger in case anyone is interested in doing this. I chose a Molex charger ordered from Digikey. This one has a USB-A and USB-C port and is capable of fast charging. There are a few different options for ports.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/media.digikey.com-20845-1585059504.1.jpg)

I made the box by gluing up 1/4" birch plywood and 1/8" hard board. The unit just press fits into the console so it can be easily reversed.

Attached Image

I harvested fabric from the bottom of the original console cushion for a perfect match - unlike the new AA cushion cover that continues to piss me off.

Attached Image

The only mod to the console is a 1/4" hole drilled through the corner for wires to pass. Even there, I pulled back the vinyl so it was unharmed and the hole could be filled with a mixture of sawdust and wood glue if somebody ever wanted to restore the sacred pristine original. Power is supplied by a 22g cable. Molex pins were crimped on the charger end, then fished into the console, then a molex plug clipped on.

Attached Image

The other end got 1/4" AMP dual gender connectors to plug into the volt meter for power take-off.

Attached Image

I included a cubby to store USB adapters and short cables. The rocker switch on the side will be wired as a manual antenna override. My head unit raises the antenna whenever power is switched on to the unit regardless of the music source. That is good from the standpoint of powering up an amp when the unit is on, but means the antenna will be up even when streaming music via Bluetooth. This rocker will let me lower the antenna when it isn't needed.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-20845-1585020991_thumb.jpg)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Mar 24 2020, 08:23 AM
Post #1495

914 Guru

QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ Mar 24 2020, 06:53 AM) *

You have some vinyl sheet on the side of the car, can you tell me where you got it?

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting to mention this. I bought this stuff based on a tip from another thread and love it. Fantastic stuff! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MZ102D...=UTF8&psc=1

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com-20845-1585059837.1.jpg)

+Quote Post
bbrock
post Mar 24 2020, 08:34 AM
Post #1496

914 Guru

QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 24 2020, 04:39 AM) *

@bbrock I can't believe how far ahead of me you are now.. Looks very nice..

@mb911

Ha! Your move to a new house gave me a chance to get ahead, but I'm sure you'll pass me up soon enough! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
dr.tim
post Mar 24 2020, 08:37 AM
Post #1497

Member No.: 13,907

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Mar 24 2020, 06:12 AM) *

However, the ability to make complex tools and solve complex problems is part of what really seperates humans from chimps.

Ok.. I was VERY close to making this statement.

Brent, friend: If I wasn't aware of your cabin-bound-until-June condition, or the desire to drive it off the lot and not futz with it anymore, I would think you were making projects to prevent completion.

It's going to be a fun summer.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Mar 24 2020, 09:01 AM
Post #1498

914 Guru

QUOTE(dr.tim @ Mar 24 2020, 07:37 AM) *

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Mar 24 2020, 06:12 AM) *

However, the ability to make complex tools and solve complex problems is part of what really seperates humans from chimps.

Ok.. I was VERY close to making this statement.

Can't help but philosophizing as a biologist a bit here. During my career, I've seen the line dividing humans from everything else moved several times:

- humans are the only species that uses tools - NOPE. Lots of species do.
- humans are the only species with language - CRAZY. It's common in nature.
- humans are the only species that transfers knowledge and culture from one generation to the next. WRONG.
- humans are the only species that make tools. NEIN

Okay, humans are technologically advanced well beyond any other species on earth, but at this point, the only thing I'm willing to say about the difference between me and bonobos is about 1.3% of my DNA - oh, and I swore off picking bits of food out of my poop a couple years ago. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/monkeydance.gif)

[Edit: and I'll add that the bar on other species making "complex" tools to solve "complex" problems keeps changing. The problem solving ability of species from crows to weasels is mind-boggling.]

Brent, friend: If I wasn't aware of your cabin-bound-until-June condition, or the desire to drive it off the lot and not futz with it anymore, I would think you were making projects to prevent completion.

It's going to be a fun summer.

And there are a few more of these projects in the hopper. You got the secret sneak preview of one of them. I can only say, she'll be done when she is done. The punch list is getting shorter though. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Mar 24 2020, 10:59 AM
Post #1499

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 24 2020, 11:01 AM) *

Okay, humans are technologically advanced well beyond any other species on earth, but at this point, the only thing I'm willing to say about the difference between me and bonobos is about 1.3% of my DNA - oh, and I swore off picking bits of food out of my poop a couple years ago. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/monkeydance.gif)

[Edit: and I'll add that the bar on other species making "complex" tools to solve "complex" problems keeps changing. The problem solving ability of species from crows to weasels is mind-boggling.]

I know virtually nothing about what DNA consists of biologically or how it is put together in all the various DNA sequencnes but that 1.3% sure must be important. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

I ain't never seen me no Bonobo use a welder to weld up a spring puller. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

I do agree with you though, the animal kingdom continues to amaze me. I wish I could spend more time in it though we have our own kind of animal kindom here in Detroit. Mostly consits of folks like me . . . Rats stuck running on the corporate Hamster Wheel! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Mar 24 2020, 11:16 AM
Post #1500

914 Guru

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Mar 24 2020, 09:59 AM) *

I ain't never seen me no Bonobo use a welder to weld up a spring puller. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/1.bp.blogspot.com-20845-1585070213.1.jpg)
+Quote Post

111 Pages V « < 73 74 75 76 77 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 08:10 AM