Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

111 Pages V « < 82 83 84 85 86 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Intro from Montana: '73 2.0L rustoration thread
Cairo94507
post Aug 10 2020, 06:17 AM
Post #1661

Michael

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Aug 10 2020, 08:10 AM
Post #1662

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Aug 10 2020, 06:03 AM) *

Again with the hammer? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Not sure if you guys are joking about the snow but it definitely feels like fall in the mornings now. We usually get our first light flurry of snow in August so I'm expecting to see some in the next couple weeks.

It has been a brutal summer. There were at least five full days when the temp at our house spiked above 80F. One day, it read 87F!!!! We actually had to close the windows to keep that blistering heat out. Thank goodness it was only the one day. Whew! This is no joke. A couple weeks ago I was in town for a vet appt. and heard guys on the radio warning people to stay safe outside because it was "dangerously hot." I looked at the car thermometer and it read 87F... no humidity. These people don't have a clue.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Aug 10 2020, 11:12 AM
Post #1663

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Can't resist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_wS0Kw6k9c

Attached Image

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Aug 10 2020, 06:49 PM
Post #1664

914 Guru

I'll try to do a few short posts over the next few days to get caught up. Anyone have an interest in boiled tit? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/teef.gif)

I've got Marc's nice D-cup for the left but my right tit wasn't looking so good. It was mushed up from being mounted on a dented bumper for decades.

Attached Image

I let it sit for a couple months to see if it would remember its shape, but it didn't. Well, who doesn't like a hot tit, so I decided to try boiling it.

Attached Image

Well whadya know? It worked! That small crease is on the bottom so won't be noticeable. Important thing is it won't dangle down all droopy.

Attached Image

Not out of the woods yet though. I busted off one of the studs when I removed it.

Attached Image

I took a guess that the studs have disc heads embedded in the foam so decided to try drilling and tapping for a new stud. I don't know if my hunch was right, but there was enough meat to thread in a new stud at least.

Attached Image

I had a few repairs to make on the bumper tops so I bought this single part urethane adhesive based on another thread (that will be another post). I used the same stuff to anchor a new stainless steel stud in. I just filled the drill cavity with the goop and screwed the stud it.

Attached Image

After a good clean up, it should be good as new.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
914_7T3
post Aug 10 2020, 06:49 PM
Post #1665

Please forgive me, I'm new to all of this!

Member No.: 20,991
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 9 2020, 08:07 PM) *

Okay, so the top is all done. How did we do? Hermetic fuching perfection! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

How can this car not be quiet as a Caddy? And I have to tell you, the sound of closing these doors with the top on and windows up makes me positively randy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

That is truly Fuchn’ Amazing! Your patience level is next level! I got as far as swapping out the latches and will add some plated hardware and paint the latch receivers at the back. Then I’ll call it good. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
raynekat
post Aug 11 2020, 12:37 AM
Post #1666

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,263
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Well....considering the top refurb 'splanation.
With Brent you not only get a picture is worth a 1000 words....you get the 1000 words as well.
Yea baby!
I never feel as crazy I as think I am after reading Brent's latest project.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Aug 11 2020, 08:00 AM
Post #1667

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241

So, Brent, if I got this right, you just did a tit implant.

And you give me a hard time for how I spend my time!

Oh, and by the way. We need to schedule a time for you to come out and refurb my car's roof. You did a "top" job on that! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Seriously, I agree with the others that you really have taken all this stuff to the next level and your documentation is going to help countless others with their restos.
Really, really great stuff. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) Thanks!
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Aug 30 2020, 07:42 PM
Post #1668

914 Guru

Okay, time for an update. I've mostly been toiling with getting the bumpers, valences and rocker covers into shape. It is coming along but tedious and boring because it is just a repeat of the endless body work - strip, straighten, weld, straighten, blah, blah, blah. I needed a diversion to feel like I had accomplished something so here it is. Whadaya think? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)

Attached Image

What? You don't see it? C'mon man, it's right there in the middle of the pic. Here, maybe some better lighting will help. Boom! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Attached Image

That's right bitches, I may have discovered the ultimate stealth third brake light yet. No cutting or drilling. 100% reversible. It is BRIGHT too. This thing will literally damage your eyes if you stare at it too long. It also functions as as a tail light. This should increase visibility and safety considerably. BTW, both these pics were taken with the full sun shining right on the light.

Attached Image

You know there are going to be details so here we go. The light is a flexible 9 inch LED strip for motorcycles. It isn't cheap, but quite a bit cheaper than a coffin. I went with the smoke colored tube to help it blend with the black targa trim. If I had bright work trim, I would have gone with clear. I also bought their little dual converter that creates a high and low circuit. It's just a resistor and a couple of diodes encapsulated in epoxy but only $5 so beat having to make my own.

I'll admit, I'm a bit psycho about wiring harness so I wired this one up with color coded wires and piggyback connectors so the wires match factory wiring where the harness plugs into the tail light.

Attached Image

Here's the final assembly with the LED strip attached.

Attached Image

I got a little excited and forgot to take pics of mounting the light, but it is just side mounted onto the targa trip with 3M trim mounting tape. They sell a special side mounting kit but it is just a strip of tape and a strip of black backer plastic to stick onto what was the bottom of the light. I already had the tape on hand so just went rogue. The wire was just tucked inside the trim strip with a few small pieces of tape to stick it to the bottom just to keep it from flopping around while I snapped the trim strip back on.

Then it was just a matter of running the wire down the back of the sail panel - again using a few pieces of tape to hold it down.

Attached Image

I added a shrink wrap ahead of time on each wire positioned where the wire would exit the trim strip to add a little protection where it would be pinched. I tucked the wire inside the trunk seal welt to minimize wire exposure to the elements. That the exposed wires got a coat of liquid electrical tape for both extra protection but mostly to hide them.

Attached Image

The thin wires exit the seal welt a couple inches down - again protected by shrink wrap where they are pinched. Then it was just a matter of tucking the sleeved harness behind the factory harness.

Attached Image

You'd have a difficult time seeing anything suspicious was happening at the connections to the tail lights.

Attached Image

With everything installed, here's the only bit of wire showing. If anybody decides to comment on it, let's be honest, you really are kind of a dick. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Attached Image

Here's a closer look at the light unit itself.

Attached Image

And here's the monster truck view of the light. I'm pretty happy with the extra visibility this will provide.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Aug 30 2020, 08:37 PM
Post #1669

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343

Gee thanks, Brent. Now you have me thinking about running another wire in my recently completed rebuilt harness.
+Quote Post
doug_b_928
post Aug 30 2020, 09:33 PM
Post #1670

Member No.: 15,382
Region Association: Canada

Looks really nice!
+Quote Post
dr.tim
post Aug 31 2020, 06:45 AM
Post #1671

Member No.: 13,907

Brent!

You are running out of summer. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

Time to get it on the road.

Don't make me come all the way over there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Aug 31 2020, 07:31 AM
Post #1672

914 Guru

He he (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Between COVID, the new job, and getting three years behind on lots of other projects due to this car, I made a decision about a month and a half ago to not even try to get it on the road this year. It could still happen, but I don't want to rush and have a LOoong winter ahead to get everything buttoned up just right. I'm counting on you to help tune these carbs though. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Aug 31 2020, 07:33 AM
Post #1673

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666
Region Association: None

Very tidy work, as usual, on the lights .
+Quote Post
Amphicar770
post Aug 31 2020, 11:05 AM
Post #1674

Member No.: 11,639
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Nice. I also have a motorcycle strip light which works great. I like that this one also serves as a daytime running light.
+Quote Post
914_7T3
post Aug 31 2020, 12:43 PM
Post #1675

Please forgive me, I'm new to all of this!

Member No.: 20,991
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 30 2020, 06:42 PM) *

With everything installed, here's the only bit of wire showing. If anybody decides to comment on it, let's be honest, you really are kind of a dick. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Attached Image

Isn't that a 'lil bit of exposed wiring?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Just kidding Brent, beautifully engineered as always!
+Quote Post
jaredmcginness
post Aug 31 2020, 01:00 PM
Post #1676

Member No.: 23,209
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I do love that blue protective wrap.... Maybe one day for me... for now everything I do around the car aids in the 'patina' (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)
+Quote Post
Olympic 914
post Aug 31 2020, 04:16 PM
Post #1677

Member No.: 13,287
Region Association: North East States

Really like this Third brake light set-up. May put that on the list for this winters projects.

BTW, I am also running the Trucklites headlights and Hella yellow horns...

You are gong to love both. When you finally start driving it, that is.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Aug 31 2020, 04:58 PM
Post #1678

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Something about 3rd brake lights on a vintage car just rubs me the wrong way.

However, having had my 1st teener totaled by an idiot that drove into the back of it at 45mph while it was stopped, I totally get it and think that it IS the wise thing to do. Especially so in light of what just happened to Clay's car.

I really like the way this one is so low profile and well hidden. Well done Brent. Put this one in the books as another lesson to copy.

Really makes me wonder . . . . is anyone doing a wireless version? That sure would be sweet and would avoid that unsightly wire showing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) . . . Just kidding! They are all clunky as crap!
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Sep 1 2020, 06:45 AM
Post #1679

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

Very nicely done Brent. I wonder about the running light feature you added to the 3rd brake light though. I have thought about doing exactly that but wonder if it would somehow minimize the alerting factor of the 3rd brake light when it illuminates? Regardless, that is a nice clean job and our cars definitely need a high-mount 3rd brake light -the brighter the better. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Sep 1 2020, 07:41 AM
Post #1680

914 Guru

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Sep 1 2020, 06:45 AM) *

Very nicely done Brent. I wonder about the running light feature you added to the 3rd brake light though. I have thought about doing exactly that but wonder if it would somehow minimize the alerting factor of the 3rd brake light when it illuminates? Regardless, that is a nice clean job and our cars definitely need a high-mount 3rd brake light -the brighter the better. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Hi Michael,
I had the same concern and was fully prepared to not install the dual module. After a quick bench test, that concern vanished. The brake light function is blisteringly bright and the contrast between brake and running light function is impossible to miss. I've also toyed with adding a strobe module to the brake function but I think the brightness alone is a good enough attention grabber. I don't want to give drivers following me seizures. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post

111 Pages V « < 82 83 84 85 86 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 06:52 AM