Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

111 Pages V « < 101 102 103 104 105 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Intro from Montana: '73 2.0L rustoration thread
bbrock
post Jun 9 2021, 06:31 PM
Post #2041

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Let's get caught up from last weekend. The jury is in on proper butyl tape size for installing a windshield. Stick with 5/16" as specified by Porsche even for an after market glass! At least it's true for XYG glass. After a few rounds of baking my car in the sun and gently smooshing the windshield down, I got it bedded low enough to make the trim work but it would still be better if the shield sat a little lower. Regardless, avoid the extra PITA and just use the smaller tape.

Now to the trim. To recap, I painted my trim satin black back in the 80s before I got all psycho about originality. Would I do it today? No. Do I think it looks better? Yes, especially on a silver car and with black bumpers and targa trim. The brightwork on this car always looked wrong to me. The chrome look fights with the metallic silver and looked mismatched with the black targa trim and bumpers. So yeah, not original, but I'm happier with the look. Another bonus is that it is a lot cheaper to repaint weathered trim than to re-anodize or buy replacements.

To strip the old paint and condition the metal for new, I used a conditioning pad on my 2" grinder. Only took about an hour.

Attached Image

Then I brought the trim inside for 3 coats of SEM Trim Black

Attached Image

While that was drying, I backed the car out into the rain and tipped the valet to keep an eye on it while the soft clean rain washed the dust off from the gravel road y'all are so jealous of (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) We have hard well water but do have a water softener. I need to figure out a system to get good water for washing the car when needed.

Attached Image

Later in the day, I drove the car into town in the rain (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yikes.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Not just light rain either. Driving, toad-strangling, sheets of rain. It did great except those shitty 70s style wiper blades like to lift off the windshield at speed. Wish there was a way to mount modern blades. Speaking of speed, I can neither confirm nor deny that the car hit triple digits (IMG:style_emoticons/default/whistle[1].gif)

Here she is back safe in the garage.

Attached Image

The next morning, I popped on the trim. Took a bit of work to get it right. I wound up putting a microfiber cloth over the trim and VERY GENTLY went around several times tapping with a small rubber mallet to help the trim conform. That helped a lot.

Attached Image

Attached Image

It isn't factory perfect but I don't mind a few subtle reminders that this is a 50 year old car.

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jun 9 2021, 06:43 PM
Post #2042

914 Guru

I mentioned that I needed to update my console update. I few weeks ago I had to remove the center tray and seat cushion and realized my error in not including disconnects for the usb charge and antenna switch wires. And while I was pondering things, I thought it would be nice to add another accessory outlet so I could charge a computer or power other gadgets without having cords dangling from the dash. And of course, we also know those old cig lighter sockets are too big for most modern 12v accessory plugs.

Starting from scratch, I made a new harness for the USB and 12v plug that now runs to the cig lighter and added proper disconnects for that and the antenna wiring.

Attached Image

Then I made a new outlet console. Clearances are really tight for the 12v plug and it took two tries to find a plug that would fit right. I was hopeful I could squeeze a shallow tray into the top somewhere, but couldn't find enough real estate to make it work. I think it turned out okay though.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jun 10 2021, 09:56 PM
Post #2043

914 Guru

Overall happy with the car so far but something has been off. I couldn't quite put my finger on it and don't even know how to describe it. Just "off" like it was missing it's mojo somehow. It seemed to be emanating from this area.

Attached Image

Ah yes. There it is. Mr. Mo Jo Ris-ing. Ris-ing ris-ing! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Jun 11 2021, 02:48 AM
Post #2044

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

you need a rainwater tank mate.
hook it up to one of your roof downpipes.
every aussie home has got one. you wash your car with it here so your jackass neighbour won't dob you into the authorities for washing your car with drought restricted mains water.

my childhood is my grandmother only making her tea out of water from the rainwater tank. she was fussy about her cup of tea.

your windscreen trim very tasteful and is impeccable german logic.
the chrome was indeed out of place on black trim cars.
porsche were a bit all over the place, bent over a chair, having to deal with VW management and karmann bottom line contracts?

whadya going to do about your "vent" window pillars on the door glass?
have you blacked them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

mirror, door handles. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)

thats a very nice fit around headlight buckets, front bonnet etc.
looking at my car i think you have over-restored it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
+Quote Post
Luke M
post Jun 11 2021, 06:54 AM
Post #2045

Member No.: 3,574
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(bbrock @ Jun 10 2021, 08:56 PM) *

Overall happy with the car so far but something has been off. I couldn't quite put my finger on it and don't even know how to describe it. Just "off" like it was missing it's mojo somehow. It seemed to be emanating from this area.

Attached Image

Ah yes. There it is. Mr. Mo Jo Ris-ing. Ris-ing ris-ing! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached Image

Hi Brent,

Where did you get the replacement vin sticker from?

I need one for my 6 and my brother for his 74 as well. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jun 11 2021, 08:17 AM
Post #2046

914 Guru

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jun 11 2021, 01:48 AM) *

you need a rainwater tank mate.
hook it up to one of your roof downpipes.
every aussie home has got one. you wash your car with it here so your jackass neighbour won't dob you into the authorities for washing your car with drought restricted mains water.

my childhood is my grandmother only making her tea out of water from the rainwater tank. she was fussy about her cup of tea.

your windscreen trim very tasteful and is impeccable german logic.
the chrome was indeed out of place on black trim cars.
porsche were a bit all over the place, bent over a chair, having to deal with VW management and karmann bottom line contracts?

whadya going to do about your "vent" window pillars on the door glass?
have you blacked them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

mirror, door handles. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)

thats a very nice fit around headlight buckets, front bonnet etc.
looking at my car i think you have over-restored it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

Hmm (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) We already collect rain from the roof but the water is used for other purposes. I've been considering adding more storage capacity and when I do, will think of this so I can have enough to spare for washing the car.

The vent window pillars are already black. you can see it in earlier pics. Definitely nicer than the chrome. I'll leave the mirror and handles as they are. I don't think the stock mirrors would look right in black. Back in the 80s I bought a pair of Baby Tornados for this car but never used them. They were the first thing I sold when I restarted this resto a few years ago as plans had changed toward originality rather than modernization. Although I like the look of black door handles, I don't want to molest a good pair of handles and for some reason, they don't bother me as much as the bright trim did.

Now on that hood fit. The camera is kind. If you look carefully, you can see the left corner at the headlight to have the proper misalignment. Still need to work on that.

QUOTE(Luke M @ Jun 11 2021, 05:54 AM) *

Hi Brent,

Where did you get the replacement vin sticker from?

I need one for my 6 and my brother for his 74 as well. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Got it from Car-bone. They do fantastic work. If yours needs to be on the perforated background, make sure to add that in the instructions.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jun 12 2021, 04:58 PM
Post #2047

914 Guru

Had to drop off a set of rims from our little pickup this morning to get new tires mounted. Somehow this seemed like a more sensible deliver method than either of the two SUVs sitting in our driveway. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Got my first Porsche wave from a 911 Carrera cabrio while I was in town. I'm pretty sure I saw a turbo spoiler on it but can't be certain. I'm not very up on the latest models though, so it could have been a Boxster but I don't think so. They all look alike to me anymore - except the Targa - those are cool. Whatever it was, THAT never used to happen in the old days. I'm not sure how I feel about being accepted.

Last night I got a honk and a wave from a Tin Lizzy putting down the road. Bozeman is weird.

After running my errands, I decided to take the long way home through the twisties of the Bridger Mountains. Wound up accidentally taking the REALLY long way home because some punks in a Honda Element started riding my ass and I was too worried about them doing something stupid to notice I had passed my turnoff. It was a nice day and the car was running great so I decided to keep going to a route through some stunning country but instead of 15 minutes extra to get home, took an extra 50 minutes. Oh well. The punks kept riding my ass and I got the feeling they wanted to show the Porsche they could keep up. I stuck to the speed limit (which is a fun enough 70 mph through some pretty gnarly pavement). They would fade back on the curves of course, but were back on my ass on the straights.

I turned off to make the long loop home where the road REALLY gets twisty and the punks followed. I got tired of their shenanigans and quickly made them get really small in my rear view mirror and then disappear. Turns out that I haven't outgrown being a jackass, but Mom, THEY started it!
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Jun 12 2021, 08:32 PM
Post #2048

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343

QUOTE(bbrock @ Jun 10 2021, 09:56 PM) *

Attached Image

Attached Image

Brent, your sticker looks higher than others I have seen. I suppose the variability of factory sticker placement includes a range. Mine was almost as high as yours, maybe 1/8 inch lower. I have a replacement sticker to install, and checked a friend's car--his was 1-1/2 lower.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jun 12 2021, 09:13 PM
Post #2049

914 Guru

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jun 12 2021, 07:32 PM) *

Brent, your sticker looks higher than others I have seen. I suppose the variability of factory sticker placement includes a range. Mine was almost as high as yours, maybe 1/8 inch lower. I have a replacement sticker to install, and checked a friend's car--his was 1-1/2 lower.

I've noticed that too. I was happy to have my original door pillar with the sticker on for reference so I could match whatever mood Helmut was in that day for sticker placement. Judging by the placement of my original, he was in an "I don't give a (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) " mood (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Personally, I think they look better a bit lower but what can you do? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

My HO recall sticker in the frunk was in a different spot than most although I can see that being an alternate interpretation of the sticker placement instructions in the recall bulletin. I put my repro sticker back where it was on the car rather than where it was supposed to go.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jul 10 2021, 10:52 PM
Post #2050

914 Guru

Looks like I am a month behind on updates so let's get caught up. I wracked up my 500 break-in miles in no time so drained the oil and changed the filter. I checked the valve adjustment. Everything was still spot on except two exhaust valves that were barely, barely loose. No really enough to even bother with, but since I was there. This was the time to fix the small oil leaks too. I had a couple push rod tubes seeping a little, but by the time the oil change came around, they had stopped and were sealed perfectly well. I'm assuming they must swell a little with the heat and oil.

That just left the valve covers which were both dripping. You may recall my complaining about the narrow gaskets I got from 914Rubber. Well, they are off the hook because I ordered a bunch of Victor-Reinz gaskets from Pelican and they are the same. A good 1.5mm narrower than the valve cover flange or the old stock gaskets I had. Cheap ass bastards (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

Old stock gasket:

Attached Image

Cheap ass new narrow gasket:

Attached Image

Not wanting to fight constant drips, I decided to try a super thin film of aviation gasket maker on the outer side of the gasket that mates with the head. I chose that because it doesn't set up and can't clog an oil galley like a piece of silicone could.

Attached Image

It worked! No more drips since then, but we know they will be back. It's a 914 after all.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jul 10 2021, 11:01 PM
Post #2051

914 Guru

Next up was fixing the chewed up gear in my speedometer. @mepstein came to the rescue yet again by donating a core to extract a replacement gear from.

Attached Image

Here's the old gear with the divot out of the side cause by me accidentally gluing the odometer gear shaft to the housing in the last odometer repair.

Attached Image

And here is the replacement gear in place.

Attached Image

The speedometer is nice and smooth again. No more bouncing needle. The speedo still often sticks on the peg after a full stop which is a mystery. I can find nothing that is binding and have cleaned the mechanism with brake cleaner and relubricated with clock oil several times. It almost acts like the peg stop is magnetized or something. I find myself looking for pot holes after coming to a full stop to bump the needle off the peg so the needle swings free again. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jul 10 2021, 11:04 PM
Post #2052

914 Guru

I had not been driving the car at night because I hadn't gotten round to aiming the headlights. I finally did that using these directions that were posted here on the World: https://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html

I like these LED Truck-Lites.

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jul 10 2021, 11:22 PM
Post #2053

914 Guru

In pursuit of quiet, I followed a tip that @Dion posted and bought a different engine bay sound pad from RIX 914 parts https://www.rix914parts.com/store/p29/914_F...uction_Mat.html It is lightweight but denser than the closed cell foam pad I installed before.

Attached Image

Before removing the old pad, I took some sound measurements using the Decibal X app on my phone. I measured with the top on, windows rolled up and car outside in the driveway. Average measurements were:

82.1 dB @Idle (~1K rpm) 95.2 dB @3K rpm

Then I installed the new pad

81.0 dB @Idle 94.5 dB @3K rpm

Honestly, I was hoping for more than 1 dB sound reduction for my $185 investment, but I'll take every dB I can get. That doesn't tell the whole story either. Almost all of the sound reduction was at frequencies above 800 Hz which dropped the annoyance level more than the 1 dB would suggest. Also, most of the low frequency sound is coming from the muffler so I wouldn't expect the firewall pad to have much effect on that.

Her it is installed. I did not glue it in because the clips work just fine and I'd like to be able to pull it out if needed.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jul 10 2021, 11:37 PM
Post #2054

914 Guru

And now for some ignition news... Several weeks ago I replaced the copper spark plug wires to Pertronix wires for compatibility with the Ignitor III. Last weekend I decided to give the stocky and new SVDA dizzies another shot with the new wires. Unfortunately, I got the same result. The Pertronix worked fine when the engine was first started, but developed a progressively worse misfire as it warmed up. Watching with a timing light was startling. I'll bet #1 was only firing half the time and assume the same for all other plugs. In disgust, I put a set of points and condensor in the stock dizzy. Man do I hate points. What a PITA to adjust. I have always hated adjusting points but now it is worse knowing there is better technology available. PITA or not, they worked. The engine runs smooth and strong with the stock dizzy and vacuum advance AND retard connected. It might be my imagination, but the car seems to stink less of gas now too.

For now I have the stock dizzy installed with an old tired looking coil until I decide what to do.

Attached Image

No way will I stick with points. Fuch those things. However, after just a month I think I've learned I am not a carb guy. Don't get me wrong, the performance has been amazing even though they aren't properly tuned yet. I strongly suspect they are jetted a bit too rich which is expected given that I live at 6,000 feet. But they bring back nostalgia of the bad old days when every garage stank like gasoline from the fuel constantly evaporating out of carb fuel bowls and they are just a bit too fiddly for my liking.

I'm very strongly thinking of converting to microsquirt with ignition management. The more I read, the more I like. I may just run what I have for the summer and have a winter project to bring the fuel and ignition into the 21st century.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jul 11 2021, 08:34 AM
Post #2055

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(bbrock @ Jul 10 2021, 09:37 PM) *

And now for some ignition news... Several weeks ago I replaced the copper spark plug wires to Pertronix wires for compatibility with the Ignitor III. Last weekend I decided to give the stocky and new SVDA dizzies another shot with the new wires. Unfortunately, I got the same result. The Pertronix worked fine when the engine was first started, but developed a progressively worse misfire as it warmed up. Watching with a timing light was startling. I'll bet #1 was only firing half the time and assume the same for all other plugs. In disgust, I put a set of points and condensor in the stock dizzy. Man do I hate points. What a PITA to adjust. I have always hated adjusting points but now it is worse knowing there is better technology available. PITA or not, they worked. The engine runs smooth and strong with the stock dizzy and vacuum advance AND retard connected. It might be my imagination, but the car seems to stink less of gas now too.

For now I have the stock dizzy installed with an old tired looking coil until I decide what to do.

Attached Image

No way will I stick with points. Fuch those things. However, after just a month I think I've learned I am not a carb guy. Don't get me wrong, the performance has been amazing even though they aren't properly tuned yet. I strongly suspect they are jetted a bit too rich which is expected given that I live at 6,000 feet. But they bring back nostalgia of the bad old days when every garage stank like gasoline from the fuel constantly evaporating out of carb fuel bowls and they are just a bit too fiddly for my liking.

I'm very strongly thinking of converting to microsquirt with ignition management. The more I read, the more I like. I may just run what I have for the summer and have a winter project to bring the fuel and ignition into the 21st century.

Regarding carbs I am in the same state of mind. Most of the noise on my car comes from carbs.. I see fuel injection in my future.. down the road as I have a 928 to get running 1st but I agree with carbs need to go thoughts.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jul 11 2021, 09:17 AM
Post #2056

914 Guru

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jul 11 2021, 08:34 AM) *

Regarding carbs I am in the same state of mind. Most of the noise on my car comes from carbs.. I see fuel injection in my future.. down the road as I have a 928 to get running 1st but I agree with carbs need to go thoughts.

Great minds... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I have to brag about my custom air cleaner's ability to silence the carbs. I've had taking with and without sound measurements on the to-do list but haven't gotten round to it yet. In fact, I hadn't even driven the car without the cleaner installed to know if it was making any difference until a few nights ago. I was test driving the car after swapping dizzies and yet again forgot to tighten down the carb linkage so had to pull over about 5 miles from home to deal with my repeat stupidity. I decided to leave the air cleaner off until I got closer to home. As soon as I mashed on the throttle, I though "holy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) those things are loud!

For FI, I'm torn between a single throttle body using the stock plenum and intake setup, or ITBs with my custom (I'm making a stand against the hipster word "bespoke") air cleaner. Leaning toward ITB that I assume would be just as loud as carbs, but I have a cool solution that I worked really hard on. The engine bay just looks so much nicer.
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Jul 11 2021, 10:41 AM
Post #2057

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

[/quote]
For FI, I'm torn between a single throttle body using the stock plenum and intake setup, or ITBs with my custom (I'm making a stand against the hipster word "bespoke") air cleaner. Leaning toward ITB that I assume would be just as loud as carbs, but I have a cool solution that I worked really hard on. The engine bay just looks so much nicer.
[/quote]

Just because you use parentheses doesn’t let you off the hook. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

The Bozeman Hipster has a ring to it but you probably need more cowbell. BTW, ITBs would be way cool with that ‘custom’ air cleaner.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jul 11 2021, 11:55 AM
Post #2058

914 Guru

I have thought about just using my carbs are throttle body's. On my 6 there are mfi ports in the heads so could use injectors there. Jpnovak has done that with good success.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jul 11 2021, 04:46 PM
Post #2059

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

@mb911

Can you post a link to any ITB with EFI setup using MFI ports. I’m not finding it. Could be really interesting.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Jul 11 2021, 05:21 PM
Post #2060

914 Guru

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jul 11 2021, 02:46 PM) *

@mb911

Can you post a link to any ITB with EFI setup using MFI ports. I’m not finding it. Could be really interesting.

Jpnovak makes the machined fittings. Not sure there is a link. He and I just spoke about them
+Quote Post

111 Pages V « < 101 102 103 104 105 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th June 2024 - 08:00 PM