Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

111 Pages V « < 106 107 108 109 110 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Intro from Montana: '73 2.0L rustoration thread
930cabman
post May 2 2022, 04:56 AM
Post #2141

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Apr 6 2020, 02:08 PM) *

Thanks for the pointer, this guy has been my hero for many years
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post May 2 2022, 06:27 AM
Post #2142

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(bbrock @ May 1 2022, 09:22 PM) *

(For anyone who missed it, getting called a dick is a badge of honor in this thread: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2801518 ) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Dang, I've gotta try harder. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Maybe you need a small herd of Ferrets since you're so opposed to cats (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post May 14 2022, 11:24 AM
Post #2143

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Quite some time ago on another thread, someone commented they thought I could pull off a DIY PPF install. I took that as a dare, and I can't pass up a dare. So this just happened (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Attached Image

Going to do a full front install. I could have bought die cut pieces for ~$500 extra. It's a pretty simple pattern I think I can do with a 5 cent razor blade and save significant coin. I should have quite a bit extra material to avoid F-ups. Should be interesting...
+Quote Post
FlacaProductions
post May 14 2022, 01:41 PM
Post #2144

Member No.: 21,628
Region Association: Southern California

If anyone can figure it out...AND document it....it's you. Looking forward to seeing your results!
+Quote Post
bbrock
post May 21 2022, 11:00 PM
Post #2145

914 Guru

Had to make a 200 round trip for a work dinner last Wednesday so I took the 914 and took a few glamour shots. Locals will be able to pick out The Sphinx in a couple shots. Car ran fantastic except for a high idle that I fixed today. Had to make the same driver yesterday but it was snowing on the way over, so had to take the boring car.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Dion
post May 22 2022, 05:52 AM
Post #2146

RN

Member No.: 2,766
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Looking fantastic Brent. Those side markers are really well done. Quiet part of town?
Luv the scenery. I need to get back out there.
Enjoy! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post May 22 2022, 08:08 AM
Post #2147

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) very cool pictures
+Quote Post
bbrock
post May 29 2022, 12:21 AM
Post #2148

914 Guru

Anniversary

Tomorrow is the one-year anniversary of my post-resto maiden voyage.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-20845-1622315957.jpg)

Since it looks like I'm going to be stuck with these carbs for another driving season, I decided to finally hook up the wideband to check the AFR. I've been paranoid I might be running way too rich or lean. I have data now but not sure what I need to do next to dial in the carbs, so any help appreciated.

Attached Image

I spent a lot of time trying to get a reading from the lambda. Turns out I must have wiped out the free-air calibration the first time around. After I pulled the sensor and re-calibrated again, it worked fine.

Initial readings with warm engine at idle were around 11.0 - too rich. I redialed the idle mixture on all barrels but this time aiming for the leanest mix that produced a steady idle rather than backing out until the idle came up and then another half turn for good measure. After several rounds, it was idling very smooth at around 700 rpm @ AFR of 12.3 which seems okay. I would be happier with 13, but will take it.

Attached Image

It's raining here and the gravel road is ridiculous sloppy, but I took the car out to get more readings anyway. In general I think it is running a bit rich and really rich in some areas. Here are my notes:

Idle - ~12.3

Low speed just off idle - ~11.0 Too rich. Do I need to reduce the size of idle jets?

WOT - ~12.5 It dips to low 11s when the throttle opens then climbs as it leans out a bit. Not sure if backing off the accelerator pump would be a good idea

70 mph cruise - Mostly ~12.8 - 13.5 The road I was on is mountainous so not much straight cruising to get steady readings.

Deceleration/downhill - mostly in low 13s but can go as lean as 14.9

Overall I think these numbers look decent for what I've seen recommended for air cooled engines except that low speed (20-30 mph) cruising at 3000 rpm or so. I'd love to tune for a bit more economy but since I'll be swapping the carbs for FI, it's not worth going crazy over, but again, the low speed range looks too fat to me. I also get a bit of surging driving at those speeds which I suspect is related to the rich AFR.

Any suggestions on how to improve are welcome (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Also, the Expel PPF is here but I need to buy some supplies before attempting the install. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post May 29 2022, 08:29 AM
Post #2149

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

@bbrock - I can't speak to carbs or air cooled (so why am I even posting...? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) )
Maybe it holds true across engines: With my Holley ECU there's a specific setting that completely cuts fuel on closed throttle. I display AFR as one of the gauges in the digital dash and on closed throttle, it pegs full lean.
Again, maybe it's a different game with an H2O cooled, but I thought I'd mention it.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post May 29 2022, 09:01 AM
Post #2150

914 Guru

QUOTE(tygaboy @ May 29 2022, 08:29 AM) *

@bbrock - I can't speak to carbs or air cooled (so why am I even posting...? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) )
Maybe it holds true across engines: With my Holley ECU there's a specific setting that completely cuts fuel on closed throttle. I display AFR as on of the gauges in the digital dash and on closed throttle, it pegs full lean.
Again, maybe it's a different game with an H2O cooled, but I thought I'd mention it.

Nope, not a different game. One of the may reasons I want to go FI is to be able to do exactly that, shut off the fuel completely when it isn't needed. I believe on carbs, you just have to take what you get when the throttle closes and whatever you get is a waste of fuel. I'd also like to know a little more about how lean is safe for an air cooled engine at highway cruise with little load.
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post May 29 2022, 08:25 PM
Post #2151

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343

You could move closer to sea level. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Seriously, I am sure you have thought about jetting appropriate for your home elevation.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post May 29 2022, 09:11 PM
Post #2152

914 Guru

QUOTE(bkrantz @ May 29 2022, 08:25 PM) *

You could move closer to sea level. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) A reason I want to Megasquirt is so I can drive from here to Seattle without burning a hole in a piston. I guess moving to Seattle could fix that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Seriously, I am sure you have thought about jetting appropriate for your home elevation.

Yep, I started another thread to figure out how best to do exactly that. Then the question is how far to go given I hope to be ditching the carbs over next winter (yeah, that's what I said last here (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) ). Right now my leaning is to swap to smaller idle jets, and maybe increase the air correction jets. The first to lean out the idle and progression circuits, the latter to lean the upper end a bit.

This from someone who doesn't really understand all of this stuff. Objectives here are to increase fuel economy at low speeds and be able to motor over some 10,000 ft. passes this summer without having the engine choke on fuel.
+Quote Post
raynekat
post May 30 2022, 11:07 PM
Post #2153

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,263
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

After you get the snakes in house to handle the mices....just let me know if you need the "flocking kit" back. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) Oh man....
+Quote Post
bbrock
post May 31 2022, 08:35 AM
Post #2154

914 Guru

QUOTE(raynekat @ May 30 2022, 11:07 PM) *

After you get the snakes in house to handle the mices....just let me know if you need the "flocking kit" back. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) Oh man....

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) Luckily, the mouse didn't flock up the flocking. I actually wound up buying my own materials so can flock myself now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

I think we're overdue for some critter shots.

One of a flock that has been showing up in the yard for some months now.
Attached Image

From the "frog room" in our house last week.
Attached Image

Attached Image

And the obligatory knucklehead shot.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
76-914
post May 31 2022, 09:33 AM
Post #2155

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(bbrock @ May 29 2022, 08:01 AM) *

QUOTE(tygaboy @ May 29 2022, 08:29 AM) *

Maybe it holds true across engines: With my Holley ECU there's a specific setting that completely cuts fuel on closed throttle. I display AFR as on of the gauges in the digital dash and on closed throttle, it pegs full lean.

Nope, not a different game. One of the may reasons I want to go FI is to be able to do exactly that, shut off the fuel completely when it isn't needed. I believe on carbs, you just have to take what you get when the throttle closes and whatever you get is a waste of fuel. I'd also like to know a little more about how lean is safe for an air cooled engine at highway cruise with little load.

Using Jakes guide I'm sure you could use your head temp sensor to extrapolate the A/F ratio required. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
http://www.914world.com/specs/JakeRabyHeadTemps.php
+Quote Post
rfinegan
post May 31 2022, 09:38 AM
Post #2156

Member No.: 15,499
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

this will get you close for a set of webers and a wide band O2
https://www.aircooled.net/how-to-use-a-wide...-flat-4-engine/
+Quote Post
bbrock
post May 31 2022, 02:20 PM
Post #2157

914 Guru

QUOTE(rfinegan @ May 31 2022, 09:38 AM) *

this will get you close for a set of webers and a wide band O2
https://www.aircooled.net/how-to-use-a-wide...-flat-4-engine/

Just responded on the other thread, but I will thank you here as well! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post May 31 2022, 02:22 PM
Post #2158

914 Guru

QUOTE(76-914 @ May 31 2022, 09:33 AM) *

Using Jakes guide I'm sure you could use your head temp sensor to extrapolate the A/F ratio required. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
http://www.914world.com/specs/JakeRabyHeadTemps.php

I haven't installed a head temp sensor yet (just oil temp). When I do, it will be part of the Megasquirt project so this crazy carburetor stuff will be moot by then. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post May 2 2023, 11:01 AM
Post #2159

914 Guru

Hi all,

I know a couple folks have wondered what the heck happened to me so I thought I'd drop a quick note here. I'm still kicking and have been lurking off and on but haven't participated much due to being thrown one of life's curve balls. In early January I was diagnosed with metastatic melanoma which has pretty much consumed all of my time since. I began immunotherapy treatment which is not only very effective against melanoma but usually much gentler on the body than traditional chemo. I wasn't so lucky and have had serious side effects which have landed me in and out of the ER and hospital several times. I'm told I came within a coin toss of buying the farm once. There is obviously a much longer story, but last week I had surgery at the Huntsman Cancer Center in Utah to remove the tumor and have been recovering here since. I am headed home tomorrow and hope to be driving the 914 within a couple of weeks albeit without the megasquirt I had hoped to install over the winter. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
krazykonrad
post May 2 2023, 11:22 AM
Post #2160

Member No.: 5,610

All the best for a speedy recovery! We're all pulling for you.
+Quote Post

111 Pages V « < 106 107 108 109 110 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:18 PM