Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

111 Pages V « < 108 109 110 111 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Intro from Montana: '73 2.0L rustoration thread
bbrock
post May 9 2023, 03:16 PM
Post #2181

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 7 2023, 05:44 AM) *

Hi Brent - I have shipped a few cars back and forth. Try to find an owner/operator who picks your new Rav up at the dealership and is actually the one who delivers it too.

Most transports now are handled by brokers who accept the job and then the car is leap frogged on many different carriers to get to you. In my opinion, that is not good.

Have the dealership shoot all around high quality photos of the Rav right before it rolls up the ramp to be loaded and once it arrives you inspect it closely for damage.

Good luck on all fronts my friend.
Michael (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Great tips. Thanks! Got a bunch of good pics from the dealer today and will be asking about single transporter through whole route. Would not have known about that.

Yesterday the wife asked if she could drive the Porsche to work. I was thrilled and grinned ear to ear as she drove away. Then she comes home and hauls a used office chair she bought out of the passenger seat. We had a discussion about appropriate use of the car. I told her it isn't a pickup truck. Bloody hell. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post May 9 2023, 03:29 PM
Post #2182

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

Happy to see you posting, it puts a smile on my face !
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post May 9 2023, 05:35 PM
Post #2183

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(bbrock @ May 9 2023, 01:16 PM) *

Yesterday the wife asked if she could drive the Porsche to work. I was thrilled and grinned ear to ear as she drove away. Then she comes home and hauls a used office chair she bought out of the passenger seat. We had a discussion about appropriate use of the car. I told her it isn't a pickup truck. Bloody hell. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Are you sure you’re not being a bit snobby? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
altitude411
post May 9 2023, 07:34 PM
Post #2184

I drove my 6 into a tree

Member No.: 17,932

QUOTE(bbrock @ May 9 2023, 03:16 PM) *

Pfft, she has already forgotten about that conversation... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) maybe if you "borrow" her best pair of heels next time you mow the lawn. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post May 9 2023, 07:41 PM
Post #2185

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(altitude411 @ May 9 2023, 08:34 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) maybe if you "borrow" her best pair of heels next time you mow the lawn. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif)
+Quote Post
worn
post May 9 2023, 07:58 PM
Post #2186

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(bbrock @ May 9 2023, 01:16 PM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 7 2023, 05:44 AM) *

Hi Brent - I have shipped a few cars back and forth. Try to find an owner/operator who picks your new Rav up at the dealership and is actually the one who delivers it too.

Most transports now are handled by brokers who accept the job and then the car is leap frogged on many different carriers to get to you. In my opinion, that is not good.

Have the dealership shoot all around high quality photos of the Rav right before it rolls up the ramp to be loaded and once it arrives you inspect it closely for damage.

Good luck on all fronts my friend.
Michael (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Great tips. Thanks! Got a bunch of good pics from the dealer today and will be asking about single transporter through whole route. Would not have known about that.

Looks like you make your own luck there. She can drive it, and she can stuff things into it. You have to admit she is a star.
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post May 9 2023, 08:01 PM
Post #2187

914 Neferati

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ May 9 2023, 05:41 PM) *

+Quote Post
jaredmcginness
post May 10 2023, 05:47 AM
Post #2188

Member No.: 23,209
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Hoping you are doing well in your health Brent.
Also, LOVE the hidden side markers, so cool.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post May 10 2023, 10:35 PM
Post #2189

914 Guru

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ May 9 2023, 07:01 PM) *

Well this conversation took an unfortunate turn. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post May 10 2023, 10:37 PM
Post #2190

914 Neferati

QUOTE(bbrock @ May 10 2023, 08:35 PM) *

Well this conversation took an unfortunate turn. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Does that surprise you?
+Quote Post
bbrock
post May 10 2023, 10:40 PM
Post #2191

914 Guru

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ May 10 2023, 09:37 PM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ May 10 2023, 08:35 PM) *

Does that surprise you?

I expect nothing less (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post May 12 2023, 01:08 PM
Post #2192

914 Guru

Okay, to get the subject off me mowing the lawn in heels (BTW, I hate lawns and don't have one - heels on the other hand...) let's roll back to June 2022 where I left off so you can all witness my epic fail.

Before diving into the new driving season I wanted to add some protection to the pain of my car, so I ordered a sheet of Xpel paint protection film (PPF) large enough to cover the front end. After reviewing plenty of Youtube vids and a thorough wash and prep of the car, I started with the easy part which was the hood. That did go pretty easy although after laying it down the first time, I decided to pull it off and reposition a little. That caused a small issue.

Film being applied.

Attached Image

All smoothed out and done.

Attached Image

And here is the issue. When I pulled the film to reposition, I over stretched this bit of plastic so it shows if you get the light right. I decided to live with the flaw. Nobody else seems to have noticed it.

Attached Image

Next up was the fender. Utter failure. I watched a couple vids doing 911 fenders but the curves on the 914 are much tighter and I just could not get the film to stretch and lay down. It was very frustrating. I had one fender's worth of extra plastic so I tried twice. Each failure burned about $100 worth of film. I didn't take any pics while I was fighting the film but this is representative of the final result.

Attached Image

I decided to apply the remaining piece of film to the driver's door to give it added protection. So I ended up with the hood and headlight covers treated as well as one door. The film is nearly invisible. Very hard to tell it is even there.

I followed the film with ceramic coating over the whole car. I didn't quite get two coats over the whole car so need to reapply. Weird thing happened though. After getting the car in the sun, I could see the wipe marks show up as rainbow colors over the PPF only. I'd point it out to other people and they looked at me like I was crazy. Finally figured out the phenomena is only visible with polarizing sunglasses which I wear. Very strange. Seems to have faded with time but still there.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/m.media-amazon.com-20845-1683918494.1.jpg)

On my first road trip after adding the film I had a nearly golf ball sized rock fly off a truck in front of me and bounce right off the hood of my car. I could see a gouge in the plastic after it hit. By the time I got to my destination, the film had self healed and there was not trace the incident had happened. Pretty amazing stuff.
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post May 12 2023, 01:14 PM
Post #2193

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105

That plastic cover stuff looks really nifty. Almost tempting to use on at least the hood. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
930cabman
post May 13 2023, 05:07 AM
Post #2194

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

"self healed"

we need more of this stuff.

Is it similar to the 3M product?
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post May 13 2023, 07:01 AM
Post #2195

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

I think PPF (Paint Protection Film) is the way to go. I had my entire hood wrapped, (if you do this make sure they actually wrap the edges of the hood so they are not left vulnerable) both front fenders, headlight covers, eye brows, headlights and driving lights. I also did the door edge of both doors, the door handle cups, and the inner edge of the fender wells that typically take all of the rock abuse from driving. You might think, "that's a lot." but I have 8K miles on my car and the PPF has taken its share of hits and aside from a few small blemishes has done its job. My paint still looks pretty much like when it was sprayed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Now I did get a great price because my brother regularly had these PPF guys at the shop at which he worked. They took good care of me and have probably done 8 of my cars.
+Quote Post
76-914
post May 13 2023, 08:01 AM
Post #2196

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

The only thing I know of that is self healing are kernels of corn. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post May 15 2023, 02:00 AM
Post #2197

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(bbrock @ May 12 2023, 12:08 PM) *
...I wanted to add some protection to the pain of my car...

Excuse me, Dr. Freud, your slip is showing!

--DD
+Quote Post
FlacaProductions
post Sep 1 2023, 09:25 AM
Post #2198

Member No.: 21,628

Anyone heard from Brent lately? I see he hasn't logged in for a month - hope all is well!!
+Quote Post
Dion
post Sep 2 2023, 06:12 PM
Post #2199

RN

Member No.: 2,766
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I hope I’m not being out of line here with regards to Brent’s health…. I’m sure he will answer in due course. I have talked with him a few times via email.
I’ll just say it’s a difficult time right now. Keep him in your thoughts and send him good karma in your own way.

Cheers, Dion
+Quote Post
FlacaProductions
post Sep 3 2023, 12:25 AM
Post #2200

Member No.: 21,628

I wondered - thanks Dion. I appreciate it.
Good thoughts his way.
+Quote Post

111 Pages V « < 108 109 110 111 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
1 Members: rick 918-S

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th May 2024 - 07:41 AM