Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

111 Pages V « < 13 14 15 16 17 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Intro from Montana: '73 2.0L rustoration thread
tygaboy
post Feb 24 2018, 07:56 AM
Post #281

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

Sorry to hear there was another Dr. visit but good that it's fixed. Heal quickly!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
76-914
post Feb 24 2018, 09:44 AM
Post #282

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(bbrock @ Feb 23 2018, 09:56 PM) *

No Pretty Colors
Well, I just had to do it. My left eye has been feeling just slightly irritated at the end of the day this week. Last night I looked hard in the mirror since it wasn't improving. Sure enough, another fleck of crap embedded in the cornea. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) This time, they had to break out the drill to get it out but I felt robbed because there were no psychedelic colors. Doctor said it had started to rust in there. I even took my fairly new, and very expensive prescription safety glasses in to get an opinion. The doctor said they looked like good glasses. Just bad luck I guess. I might need a frequent purchaser punch card myself. Not sure how much work I'll be able to accomplish this weekend. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Well crap. Use my doc next time. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) Did he do the procedure in a dark room? I've had that done 3 times with the same results but the last time was 15 yr's ago. Maybe a new procedure. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Feb 24 2018, 10:04 AM
Post #283

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 24 2018, 08:44 AM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Feb 23 2018, 09:56 PM) *

No Pretty Colors
Well, I just had to do it. My left eye has been feeling just slightly irritated at the end of the day this week. Last night I looked hard in the mirror since it wasn't improving. Sure enough, another fleck of crap embedded in the cornea. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) This time, they had to break out the drill to get it out but I felt robbed because there were no psychedelic colors. Doctor said it had started to rust in there. I even took my fairly new, and very expensive prescription safety glasses in to get an opinion. The doctor said they looked like good glasses. Just bad luck I guess. I might need a frequent purchaser punch card myself. Not sure how much work I'll be able to accomplish this weekend. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Well crap. Use my doc next time. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) Did he do the procedure in a dark room? I've had that done 3 times with the same results but the last time was 15 yr's ago. Maybe a new procedure. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I think the difference is the location of the crud. This one was way over on the left edge of the cornea, so when he pressed with the drill, I don't think it excited the optic nerve as much as a more central location would. I did see some very subtle hints of colors. But boring. He also gave me two Vicodin pills for pain which I didn't, and won't use. This hasn't been nearly as painful as the doc predicted. Just the feeling of a scratched eyeball. Need to do some massive cleanup today and might need to work on the day job, but think I'll be back to (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) before the weekend is over.

Thanks all for the good wishes.
+Quote Post
Dion
post Feb 24 2018, 10:32 AM
Post #284

RN

Member No.: 2,766
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Sorry to hear of your recent setbacks with the heat and your eye.
Heal quickly mate. Take it easy this weekend. Heheheh
Project is looking good.
+Quote Post
mb911
post Feb 25 2018, 08:52 AM
Post #285

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Be careful welding with a bum eye.. It can make it a touch worse.

+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Feb 25 2018, 10:01 AM
Post #286

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

Man- with that record of eye injuries, I would get a set of the safety glasses that seal to your face. We only have 2 eyes....need to protect them. Heal quickly and best wishes.
+Quote Post
worn
post Feb 25 2018, 10:13 AM
Post #287

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(doug_b_928 @ Feb 24 2018, 04:09 AM) *

Sorry to hear that Brent. It’s disconcerting when the physician comes at your eye with a needle. I also took appropriate precautions each time. With so much metal flying and bouncing off of everything somehow it seems one little spec will defy the laws of physics and find its way in there (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif). Last time I had it done they said they see one person per week for it due to grinding.

That is very scary. I count my blessings that I still have all my fingers. My hearing is going but that is my grandfather's doing with the jeans and all. Wait, genes.

be careful out there. No, really. You are macho enough owning a 914.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Feb 25 2018, 11:09 AM
Post #288

914 Guru

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 25 2018, 09:01 AM) *

Man- with that record of eye injuries, I would get a set of the safety glasses that seal to your face. We only have 2 eyes....need to protect them. Heal quickly and best wishes.

This is what's a little perplexing. I've worked with power tools that can threaten eyes all my life using el cheapo safety glasses and not one incident. Last summer I decided to splurge and buy a really nice pair of prescriptio saftey glasses from my optomitrist. These are the glasses they recommended for idustrial use. The have certified lenses, side shields, and a foam seal across the top. I even showed them to the opthamologist who dug this last piece out of my eye and he thought they looked good. Of course, the first piece of crud in my eye had nothing to do with the glasses, having fallen into my eye from my eyebrow well after the grinding was done. But still, this is really ticking me off. I'm thinking about getting one of these shields. I use a comentional full shield when I can, but don't like them because sparks tend to fly up under the chin to bounce off the inside of the sheild towards the eye.

I just worked on cleanup yesterday and will most of today, and my eye is back to 90%. More cleaning today. I may do just a little grinding today if I get the clean up that far, but no welding. Thanks everyone for you concern.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Feb 25 2018, 12:10 PM
Post #289

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

Maybe one of these is the answer?

Attached Image

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Feb 25 2018, 02:19 PM
Post #290

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241

Brent - I have that same Amazon face shield. It's great so long as you go with ear plugs for hearing protection - it doesn't fit with my "over the top" ear muff style.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Feb 25 2018, 03:59 PM
Post #291

914 Guru

QUOTE(euro911 @ Feb 25 2018, 11:10 AM) *

Maybe one of these is the answer?

Attached Image

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Yeah! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) That would be cool!!!
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Feb 25 2018, 04:09 PM
Post #292

914 Guru

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Feb 25 2018, 01:19 PM) *

Brent - I have that same Amazon face shield. It's great so long as you go with ear plugs for hearing protection - it doesn't fit with my "over the top" ear muff style.

Chris - that is good to know and a real bummer. Ear plugs are okay, but I have problems with them working loose over time and they do it slowly enough that I don't notice until I've already been eposed to too much noise. I've had better luck with the plugs attached to a plastic head band but still prefere muffs. Seems there is a choice of going deaf or going blind. Certainly something to think about. Did you spring for the anti fog coating on yours? Even the basic face shields that are open at the bottom are bad about fogging in our always cool weather.

And I didn't even mention the hunk of fles I had chopped off my face last week by the dermatologist. I nice bonus from being a field biologist who spent decades under the Kansas sun.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Mar 7 2018, 07:46 PM
Post #293

914 Guru

Not too much to report. I've been catching up on non-Porsche chores, but I have been picking away at the wiring harness (nothing picture worthy) and finished up the back pad. Garold sent me a clip and a couple mounting screw ferrules to replace missing pieces, and so far has ignored all my PMs about paying. So, I got those installed. I had to peel off and reglue the driver's side because it kept lifting off the plastic card over the concavity near the center cushion. It turns out that it is important to stretch the vinyl pretty well along the flat part from the outer cushion to center so the material can lay relaxed into the concavity. If you try to stretch it into the concavity as I did, the adhesive isn't strong enough to keep it from lifting off. Even the 3M heavy duty stuff didn't work. In fact, it was worse than the multipurpose (I think 77?). After I got it finished, I popped it in the car to see how it fits. Looks pretty good except I'm really fighting the urge to rip it open to countersink those clip rivets on the passenger side.

Attached Image

That's boring. Maybe you can find the critter in this photo

Attached Image
+Quote Post
76-914
post Mar 7 2018, 08:36 PM
Post #294

That back pad looks much better! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif) I've never been a fan of the 3M upholstery products. Too lightweight, IMHO. An auto upholstery supply is the best bet but I doubt there is one on that mountain top. My favorite was made by Eagle but I haven't seen a can of that since I moved to CA. If your not in big a rush you might start a post asking if anyone is traveling from AZ or CA to Montana that could bring you some doors for a little gas money. Happens all the time here. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Mar 7 2018, 08:37 PM
Post #295

That back pad looks much better! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif) I've never been a fan of the 3M upholstery products. Too lightweight, IMHO. An auto upholstery supply is the best bet but I doubt there is one on that mountain top. My favorite was made by Eagle but I haven't seen a can of that since I moved to CA. If your not in big a rush you might start a post asking if anyone is traveling from AZ or CA to Montana that could bring you some doors for a little gas money. Happens all the time here. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Mar 8 2018, 08:40 AM
Post #296

914 Guru

QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 7 2018, 07:37 PM) *

Thanks. I think there are a couple auto upholstrey shops I'll look into before doing other upholstery. If not, we do have the Internet up here on the mountain top. The main issue with the 3M is that it doesn't adhere great to the plastic card. That plastic is excellent for holding staples, but even when sanded and cleaned with acetone, it is the weak link in the bond. On my first attempt, I stretched the vinyl evenly across the card to align the outer edges of vinyl and card. After sticking down the edges, I pressed the vinyl into the concavities. That formed a lot of peel force at the concavities when the fabric cooled and contracted, which lifted the adhesive off the plastic back. Like I said, I tried upping the game with 3M 90 but that was even worse. But sheer strength with both 3M products was very good. Once I figured that out, I was able to stretch the vinyl across the flat where it would hold the sheer forces, that left enough material to press into the concavities without them trying to peel loose. If I'd have known that in advance, the 3M adhesive would have worked fine.

Despite my best efforts, I wound up with a booger under the vinyl from the peeling and re-sticking. I was able to warm it up and flatten it out quite a bit, but might have to carefull drill in from the back side to pull it out.

Good idea on the doors. I do live in a vacation destination. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
andrewb
post Mar 8 2018, 10:38 AM
Post #297

Member No.: 11,762
Region Association: None

QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 8 2018, 03:46 AM) *

That's boring. Maybe you can find the critter in this photo

Attached Image

(Apols to Tygaboy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ) Mmmmm, nice b..b...b...b....bison.

But you know what critter I really want to see..... ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Mar 8 2018, 11:16 AM
Post #298

QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 8 2018, 06:40 AM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 7 2018, 07:37 PM) *

Thanks. I think there are a couple auto upholstrey shops I'll look into before doing other upholstery. If not, we do have the Internet up here on the mountain top. The main issue with the 3M is that it doesn't adhere great to the plastic card. That plastic is excellent for holding staples, but even when sanded and cleaned with acetone, it is the weak link in the bond. On my first attempt, I stretched the vinyl evenly across the card to align the outer edges of vinyl and card. After sticking down the edges, I pressed the vinyl into the concavities. That formed a lot of peel force at the concavities when the fabric cooled and contracted, which lifted the adhesive off the plastic back. Like I said, I tried upping the game with 3M 90 but that was even worse. But sheer strength with both 3M products was very good. Once I figured that out, I was able to stretch the vinyl across the flat where it would hold the sheer forces, that left enough material to press into the concavities without them trying to peel loose. If I'd have known that in advance, the 3M adhesive would have worked fine.

Despite my best efforts, I wound up with a booger under the vinyl from the peeling and re-sticking. I was able to warm it up and flatten it out quite a bit, but might have to carefull drill in from the back side to pull it out.

Good idea on the doors. I do live in a vacation destination. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Doesn't want to stick to the ABS! That piqued my interest. I have that same kit. I'll be sure to check the adhesion of whichever I use. Presently I'm trying POLYMAT Hi Temp 797 and it works pretty well. When push comes to shove, I always have the Weldwood Contact Cement to fall back on. That stuff will glue the soles of your shoes back on. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Mar 8 2018, 11:53 AM
Post #299

914 Guru

QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 8 2018, 10:16 AM) *

When push comes to shove, I always have the Weldwood Contact Cement to fall back on. That stuff will glue the soles of your shoes back on. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

That was going to be my next option but I knew once it went down, it was not coming back up. It's weird too, there is no issue with the adhesive sticking to the ABS EXCEPT where tensions try to lift the fabric perpendicular to the plane of the surface. Everywhere else, it holds really tight even on unsanded ABS.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Mar 8 2018, 12:06 PM
Post #300

That sounds like weak glue. What are your shop temps. Most glues like to see temps > 60F. Question: do those dimples on the back side play a role in assemble or just molding marks?
+Quote Post

111 Pages V « < 13 14 15 16 17 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:00 PM