Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

111 Pages V « < 19 20 21 22 23 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Intro from Montana: '73 2.0L rustoration thread
KELTY360
post May 7 2018, 07:53 AM
Post #401

914 Neferati

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(bbrock @ May 6 2018, 09:34 PM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ May 6 2018, 10:27 PM) *

Hey Brent, would you like me to bring you a driver's front 1/4 piece with headlight bucket and fender back to halfway thru the wheel well? This is a pay it forward part that I got years ago and need to pass on to someone else. It's not pristine but I think there's some usable segments.

Hey Marc, You are turning out to be the savior of this project! Yeah, if that bucket section is intact, that will be just the ticket. I wish I'd found this before the car was on the rotisserie though. It's going to be interesting to say the least. Looking forward to your visit!

This is what I have. Yours if you want it....including the ride. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Attached Image

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post May 7 2018, 07:55 AM
Post #402

914 Neferati

Back side

Attached Image
+Quote Post
bbrock
post May 7 2018, 08:21 AM
Post #403

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Hi Marc,

Great offer, but my problem is on the passenger side, I should have caught that last night but was apparently too tired... or maybe still in shock over finding that little surprise (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yikes.gif). Your piece would have opened some options for repair if it was from the other side. I'm going to pick your brain on this one while your here. It's a bit of a head scratcher. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post May 7 2018, 08:56 AM
Post #404

914 Neferati

QUOTE(bbrock @ May 7 2018, 07:21 AM) *

Hi Marc,

Great offer, but my problem is on the passenger side, I should have caught that last night but was apparently too tired... or maybe still in shock over finding that little surprise (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yikes.gif). Your piece would have opened some options for repair if it was from the other side. I'm going to pick your brain on this one while your here. It's a bit of a head scratcher. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

No problem. I'll try to find someone else who needs it. See you Wednesday.
+Quote Post
mb911
post May 7 2018, 01:34 PM
Post #405

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I have a good passenger side. Yours for cost of shipping..
+Quote Post
bbrock
post May 7 2018, 02:32 PM
Post #406

914 Guru

QUOTE(mb911 @ May 7 2018, 01:34 PM) *

I have a good passenger side. Yours for cost of shipping..

Thanks Ben, that's very generous. I think I need to get back in with the blaster and clean the area up nice before deciding how to tackle it. The issue is access. It is the little bulge in the outer wall of the headlight bucket/inner fender that is tucked up under the funnel for the headlight and is where the bumper bracket welds on from the outside. It's really hard to see or I would have found it and addressed it before putting the car on the rotisserie. The rust is clearly cosmetic at this point since that bracket is what a corner of the car has been hanging from for months and nothing has bent, torn, or cracked. It would be easy to bend up a patch from sheet but I don't know if I can get the welder in there to tack it in place from the inside. If I can, this will turn out to be minor, if I can't, going from the outside seems the only other option and that is a can of worms. That will require either pulling the car off the rotisserie, or rigging an alternative support that will let me pull the bumper bracket out. I'm looking at the bolt for the fog light mount as an option. Looks pretty beefy.

The fender piece could open 3 options:

1. A new trunk "ear" that would let me cut out the one I just repaired that might open some access from the inside.
2. Provide a replacement bumper bracket in case the old one can't be removed in reusable condition.
3. Provide a preformed donor patch.

Truth be told, I could probably clean this spot out, treat it with rust converter, protect it with paint, and forget about it. Somehow I don't see that happening... we'll see what I think after blasting.

Anyone have some welder nanobots they could loan me? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
mb911
post May 8 2018, 06:07 AM
Post #407

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ May 7 2018, 08:40 PM) *

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ May 7 2018, 07:04 PM) *

My car with the Minilites is 914 043 1095
The other car is 914 043 1208
Thirteen apart.
My chassis 131279
The other car is chassis 131270
Eight chassis apart
My engine is 6404638
The other car has engine 6404639 !!!!!!!! Bingo !
Consecutive engine numbers !!
There's more.
My friend EJ got his 6 # 1208 a few months ago and needed someone to
reassemble it. The car had sat as a stalled restoration since 1991
The engine had been rebuilt but was never started
I'm the lucky guy who did the honors.
Unbelievably, the engine had been rebuilt by Fred Apgar, who I worked for in 1978 !
Here they are in my driveway today.

Probably twin sister of Jim’s 914-6!!!

Let me know was gonna start to get rid of the metal for cost of shipping this week that I don't need any more..
+Quote Post
bbrock
post May 8 2018, 08:34 PM
Post #408

914 Guru

QUOTE(mb911 @ May 8 2018, 06:07 AM) *

Let me know was gonna start to get rid of the metal for cost of shipping this week that I don't need any more..

Finally got that area blasted tonight. I won't be needing that part but thanks for the offer. I think I can patch this in place. Not worth shipping and tearing up a fender chunk for. It ain't gonna be fun though. I thought that little hump where the hood release attaches was a giant B, this might be worse. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pinch.gif)
+Quote Post
Dion
post May 8 2018, 08:48 PM
Post #409

RN

Member No.: 2,766
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Brent I like your tactic of tying the copper backing in place.
I’ll need to remember that in my future endeavors. Brilliant.
Glad you’ve found a game plan for the headlite bucket area.
I was having a hard time visualizing the spot but after rotating the
pic I understand now. Yeah that’s a tricky spot for sure.
I know you’ll remedy it!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post May 8 2018, 09:00 PM
Post #410

914 Guru

Thanks Dion. I'll admit my copper "hillbilly helper" worked better than I thought.

I wouldn't say I have a game plan yet, just a better idea of worst case scenario. Hoping I can get a patch in there without tearing shit apart. Worst case, I rig up a temporary support to hold the car in the rotisserie, tear out the bumper bracket and patch the wall from the fender side, then replace with new/donor bracket. I hope I don't have to go there. Worst part is none of this will impact the structurally integrity of the chassis or the appearance, but I don't think I could go this far and leave the car like a tobacco chewer with a hole in his lip.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post May 11 2018, 08:55 AM
Post #411

914 Guru

Special Delivery
Wednesday was a fun day. Marc (Kelty360) arrived early afternoon hauling some special cargo for my project. We quickly discovered we have a lot more interests in common than just our obsession with Porsche's red-headed step child. I have serious Westy envy and since Marc parked his camp on wheels at our house for the night, it allowed us to talk all afternoon and into the night.

Stowed away in the Westy were a pair of doors from Rich at 914Werke, and a complete set of tinted side glass. The doors need some work to fill holes from aftermarket side mirrors and screw holes from door mounted speakers (luckily they did not cut the structure), and a small repair on one of the seal channels. My original doors would take about 2 weeks to repair with uncertain results, these reduce that work to 2 days. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) But look at these beauties. They have me rethinking paint and maybe I'll just match these doors. That way, whenever anyone asks the question about what color I'm going to paint it, I could just reply, "All of them." (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

Attached Image Attached Image

The other goodies tucked away in Marc's Westy was a full set of tinted side glass, also from 914Werke. I didn't really need these, but my original clear glass has some deep scratches that would have needed replacing eventually and I've always wanted tinted glass. I need to clean these up but they mostly look great. I am concerned about a portion of the passenger window because there appears to be grinding slag embedded int he glass. On my quick inspection, I was able to pop some of it out with a thumbnail so hopefull the rest will do the same and I can polish it out. I've never polished glass before, anyone have suggestions?

Attached Image

This is just another example of how great and supportive this 914 community is. Marc generously offered to haul any parts from Seattle I might need. I immediately thought of Chris's suggestion to see if someone passing through might be willing to haul doors. I posted a WTB and withint 15 minutes, Rich had stepped up with what I needed. If I'd listened to Rich, Marc would have been hauling a full windshield in that Westy too! But I didn't want to push my luck. And I could have really pushed it by having him haul a rear trunk lid from Rhodyguy who generously offered to send one along after catching wind that Marc was headed this way. It's just an amazing community and I thank all of you for supporting this crazy project. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smiley_notworthy.gif)

More Channel
Then yesterday I slipped out to the garage for a couple hours. I set the cancer under the bumper bracket aside for now and wanted to tackle something that was an easy win to boost my psyche. I have one last bit of channel to repair at the upper left corner of the frunk, and there is a hole in the fender behind the antenna mount that needs patched.

Attached Image

I started with the channel. It was a pretty small area with some deep pitting, a 10mm hole, and a small nipple of channel wall next to the hole that was eroded away. I decided to try just zapping everything back into shape with the MIG. That actually worked well. It isn't quite finished but close, and that's as far as I've gotten.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
bbrock
post May 12 2018, 10:54 PM
Post #412

914 Guru

Tackled this nasty spot today.

Attached Image

First, cut out the rotten parts, but save what's left of the rocker cover bracket to fab a new one.

Attached Image

Then replace the rusted weld flange inside the support.

Attached Image

Fabricate a patch.

Attached Image

Weld it in.

Attached Image

Clean it up and give it a coat of weld-thru primer.

Attached Image

Now fabricate a new rocker cover bracket to patch in. That piece was a PITA, but I finally got a good dry fit.

Attached Image

I need to cut the holes for the fuel vapor lines before welding it in, but I was getting tired and was afraid I'd F it up. So, I quit for the day and will start fresh tomorrow.

And here's a lazuli bunting that was at the feeder the other day.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post May 13 2018, 08:48 AM
Post #413

914 Neferati

Since this thread features critters in the wild, here’s Brent with his malamute eying the Westy delivery van. Those doors hardly took up any space! Had a great time checking out Brent’s massive projects and discussing all things under the sun.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post May 13 2018, 08:52 AM
Post #414

914 Neferati

I’m currently posting laying in bed in my campsite at the foot of Devils Tower in Wyoming. Life is good. Attached Image
+Quote Post
Dion
post May 13 2018, 08:56 AM
Post #415

RN

Member No.: 2,766
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Top notch work Brent! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
Thanks for posting the pics Marc, enjoy Devils Tower.
+Quote Post
euro911
post May 13 2018, 11:29 AM
Post #416

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ May 13 2018, 07:48 AM) *
Since this thread features critters in the wild, here’s Brent with his malamute eying the Westy delivery van. Those doors hardly took up any space! Had a great time checking out Brent’s massive projects and discussing all things under the sun.

Attached Image
I spy with my little eye: a fuel tank filler location behind the sliding door. Synchro?
+Quote Post
bbrock
post May 13 2018, 11:43 AM
Post #417

914 Guru

QUOTE(euro911 @ May 13 2018, 11:29 AM) *

I spy with my little eye: a fuel tank filler location behind the sliding door. Synchro?

I can even answer that one. Yes! That Westy is a sweet ride.

I finished up yesterday's project this morning. Just to make sure everything is in the right place, I put in the plumbing and clamped up the rocker cover before tacking the bracket in. It was a PITA, but everything seems to work. A shout out to BPic for quickly posting a pic for me yesterday so I could fill in the blanks on my rusty bracket. I think I got it right.

Attached Image

The rest was easy enough.

Attached Image

Nice to have that chore out of the way. Now I can load up my spool of Easy Grind wire and patch some body panels. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
+Quote Post
euro911
post May 13 2018, 12:11 PM
Post #418

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

I thought about buying a Synchro, but opted for a standard Westy because I already have two Toyota 4x4s. My friend, Randy, called me Friday - 'Eileen's new 2.1L is done and she's ready to come home. I'll be picking her up when I get back from AZ end of June (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
bbrock
post May 13 2018, 12:16 PM
Post #419

914 Guru

Nice! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) I had a '74 bus that we really enjoyed and have great memories of, but I got tired blowing up engines. I always wanted a Westy. Marc has a Subie/6 in his. Maybe he'll say more when he's off the road.

Marc, if you need a place to park on the way home, you know where to find me.
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post May 13 2018, 05:52 PM
Post #420

914 Neferati

QUOTE(bbrock @ May 13 2018, 11:16 AM) *

Nice! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) I had a '74 bus that we really enjoyed and have great memories of, but I got tired blowing up engines. I always wanted a Westy. Marc has a Subie/6 in his. Maybe he'll say more when he's off the road.

Marc, if you need a place to park on the way home, you know where to find me.

Nice Westy Mark. Two or four wheel drive they’re like nothing else on the road. With all the windows, I call mine a rolling sun porch.

Now, enough Westy love. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) Get back to work on your 914, Brent. BTW I may take you up on that driveway space. Still haven’t figured out my next stop.
+Quote Post

111 Pages V « < 19 20 21 22 23 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
4 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 10:23 AM