Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

111 Pages V « < 30 31 32 33 34 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Intro from Montana: '73 2.0L rustoration thread
TravisNeff
post Nov 15 2018, 08:56 PM
Post #621

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 447
Region Association: Southwest Region

Holy crap! I wasn't expecting to see this until next year. Looks good Brent, real good.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
altitude411
post Nov 15 2018, 09:25 PM
Post #622

I drove my 6 into a tree

Member No.: 17,932
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) That looks be-utiful. Nice work! You should be very proud of all your accomplishments and dedication. Now go fuel up the snow blower... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) ( I drove over the pass today... looks white at your house) * with a nice silver over spray (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Nov 15 2018, 09:30 PM
Post #623

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845

Thanks guys. I just wish I could figure out how to take better pics. I even broke out the good camera but it still looks more like shiny primer. It's pretty sweet in person. We had quite a bit of snow but most has melted off or our south-facing side.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Nov 15 2018, 09:31 PM
Post #624

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(bbrock @ Nov 15 2018, 10:30 PM) *

Thanks guys. I just wish I could figure out how to take better pics. I even broke out the good camera but it still looks more like shiny primer. It's pretty sweet in person. We had quite a bit of snow but most has melted off or our south-facing side.

Garage lights play hell with the camera sensors.

Looks great.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Nov 15 2018, 09:35 PM
Post #625

914 Guru

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 15 2018, 08:31 PM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Nov 15 2018, 10:30 PM) *

Garage lights play hell with the camera sensors.

Looks great.

Yeah, I think the first pic I posted is the best one and for that, I shut off all the lights and took the pic in the dark with the flash.
+Quote Post
Dion
post Nov 15 2018, 09:41 PM
Post #626

RN

Member No.: 2,766
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Nice! Laying down colour in stealth mode. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
That looks great Brent. Glad Mother Nature gave ya some slack.
Good luck with that airbox. That bugger tests your patience.
Fluorescents & LED are tough on car pics. I actually try use the iPhone
with lites off when I can. Relying on its sensors to pick up colour and shades.
Keep at it!
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Nov 15 2018, 10:09 PM
Post #627

914 Guru

I suppose I should say a little about the painting. I did this in the garage. I just laid a big tarp on the floor and covered my table saw with plastic. Using HVLP with the car on its side really limits the overspray to make it doable. No way could I spray the exterior like this, but I wanted to get the interior sprayed so I can start putting some parts back on the car so we stop tripping over them every time we open a shed.

To recap, I wanted to spray PPG DBC but it isn't available in this color. I had to spray PPG Omni MTK. I don't have anything to compare it to yet but it was pretty tricky to spray. It actually covered surprisingly well although spraying silver over gray primer probably helped with that. The issue was the metallics. I know silver metallic is notoriously difficult but this seemed worse. It is cheap paint so low solids. The issue I had was if I laid on the paint in a heavy wet coat, the metallic particles would float around and cluster. The result was like wave washed sand.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/jamiepatersonphotography.files.wordpress.com-20845-1542341371.1.jpg)

It was easy enough to fix by letting if flash and respraying a lighter coat followed by a drop coat. Took a little practice to get laying down a wet enough coat for the paint to lay down but not so much that the flakes went flaky.

I bought 2 quarts of paint which is mixed 4:1:1 s 3/4 gallon of sprayable. This was plenty of paint. I sprayed 3 coats (4 in some areas) and have almost a half quart of paint left. I did get a couple of runs but in hidden PITA pockets. One in the bottom of a headlight bucket and one under the top lip of the headlight motor mount that will be under the plastic cover. I'm not going to sweat either of those. There's also a drip on top of the left side long near the firewall. That's going to get sprayed with adhesive and covered by carpet so not worth fussing with. I'm sure I'll find some other spots after the paint dries and I really poke around. Overall, not bad for someone who doesn't know what he's doing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Nov 15 2018, 10:34 PM
Post #628

914 Guru

Can you explain what a drop coat is? I assume its where you hold your gun a bit farther back and dust the top. I saw that trick to fix if you get tiger stripes on a youtube vid.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Nov 15 2018, 10:47 PM
Post #629

914 Guru

QUOTE(TravisNeff @ Nov 15 2018, 09:34 PM) *

Can you explain what a drop coat is? I assume its where you hold your gun a bit farther back and dust the top. I saw that trick to fix if you get tiger stripes on a youtube vid.

Yep, that's it. I think Kevin Tetz explained it best on a vid. Supposedly it allows the droplets to be a little larger which allows the metallic flakes to spread out and "relax" as he calls it. He recommended doing it just to get uniform metallic cover rather than as a fix. The trick seems to be to do it fairly quick after laying down the last coat soe the drops melt in and spread out. He also claimed that tiger striping was caused by not enough overlap. I did 50% overlap as best I could with all the nooks and crannies you have to hit spraying trunks and engine bay and such. Overall, I thought the paint was fairly forgiving. I think in a spray booth with excellent light, I could have done better, but I'm really pleased with how it turned out.
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Nov 15 2018, 11:01 PM
Post #630

914 Guru

HA! Yeah, it was the Tetz video i watched. The reality that I will have to get some paint on mine is fast approaching. I appreciate you sharing the details and challenges. This kind of stuff makes this site great.
+Quote Post
defianty
post Nov 16 2018, 05:33 AM
Post #631

Member No.: 6,621
Region Association: None

Great work Brent, a huge step in the right direction. Car is looking fantastic.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Nov 16 2018, 08:42 AM
Post #632

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

DUDE! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

That looks awesome! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Nov 16 2018, 09:06 AM
Post #633

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Well done. What was the garage temp when you sprayed? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Nov 16 2018, 09:42 AM
Post #634

914 Guru

QUOTE(76-914 @ Nov 16 2018, 08:06 AM) *

Well done. What was the garage temp when you sprayed? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Thanks again guys. Garage temp was 64-65F during the spray. I wanted it a tad on the cool side because I was using a fast hardener and wanted a little more time. After I was finished with the spray, I cranked the heat up to 70F for curing. I'll leave it that high through tonight and then will return to the normally scheduled heating program. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Nov 16 2018, 10:14 AM
Post #635

914 Guru

A little post-operative examination and some things to fix. I intended to adjust the mask over the serial number stamp before painting but forgot. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) The unpainted area around the stamp is too large. I can't possibly drive the car like that, it would be too embarrassing. I doubt the car will even run with it like that. That will have to be fixed.

Attached Image

Here's the worst mess of the paint job. These bucket are a pain because paint just blows back in your face when you point a gun at them. Kind of shooting blind and I wound up with way too much paint in there which ran badly. I grabbed a shop towel soaked with reducer and wiped the run out but left a bunch of trash from the towel. It's in the bottom of the bucket so I don't really care, but since I'll be shooting more of this single stage paint anyway, I might as well fix it.

Attached Image

There are a few other googes with small runs or trash in the paint that don't bother me because they will be covered, but I'll fix a number of them just for practice. Better to screw up these hidden spots than a fender.

Huge Mile Stone!

Yesterday was an important day but this morning was when the real milestone of this car was crossed. It started with applying cavity wax to the longs.

Attached Image

The longs have now been treated with epoxy primer, Eastwood Internal Frame Coating, and 3M Cavity Wax Plus. Some of the primer got burned off by later welding. Although I think the internal frame coat is good stuff, I consider it experimental because I have yet to see long term results. Cavity wax has a proven record and I've seen firsthand how well it protects even bare metal.

Attached Image

Now for the big moment.......

Attached Image

The first non-welded part to go BACK on the car!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/monkeydance.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

And here's a shot across to the other side with both of these critical parts installed.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Nov 16 2018, 10:30 AM
Post #636

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

Waxed and plugged! That's gotta feel good.

(Wait... That sounds a little bit dirty... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) )
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Nov 16 2018, 10:53 AM
Post #637

914 Guru

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Nov 16 2018, 09:30 AM) *

Waxed and plugged! That's gotta feel good.

(Wait... That sounds a little bit dirty... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) )

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) You really get me!
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Nov 16 2018, 11:33 AM
Post #638

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

So you reconstruct the entire body of the car with one hand while fighting off invading bears and moose with the other.....and you're intimidated by a bucket of semi-crusty parts?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Nov 16 2018, 11:51 AM
Post #639

914 Guru

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Nov 16 2018, 10:33 AM) *

So you reconstruct the entire body of the car with one hand while fighting off invading bears and moose with the other.....and you're intimidated by a bucket of semi-crusty parts?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) Organization is not my strong suit. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
dan10101
post Nov 16 2018, 01:00 PM
Post #640

TORQUE-o-holic

Member No.: 626
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Very nice.

I would have guessed you were a pro doing your own job.

You're actually a few steps ahead of me on my project though I'm only doing the front end, not the complete overhaul. I will probably end up painting the whole car, but right now (yesterday) I primed the same areas you painted.

I really need to go back and see how you did some of the repair work and especially welding.

Thanks for posting. I'll be following..
+Quote Post

111 Pages V « < 30 31 32 33 34 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 05:18 AM