Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

111 Pages V « < 39 40 41 42 43 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Intro from Montana: '73 2.0L rustoration thread
bbrock
post Feb 1 2019, 10:24 AM
Post #801

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jan 31 2019, 07:04 PM) *

Really beautiful work Brent. I can’t believe you actually plan on farting on them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
That blows. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Not planning to, but you know, shit happens. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Feb 1 2019, 10:38 AM
Post #802

914 Guru

Here's a quick one. To recap, this has been cluttering up my table saw/work bench since early December:

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-20845-1544552622_thumb.jpg) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-20845-1544552649_thumb.jpg)

and as of this morning sporting a new set of bronze bushings from PMB:

Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

Hard to see it, but I plated the brake piston assembly black zinc to give it a little extra protection while staying close to the original finish. The rubber pedal stop is borrowed from the pedal board and is too long. Seem to have lost the short piece so will need to order. They are $2 from Porsche. Should be $0.25 but that's Porsche. Happy to have this done because now I can install the master cylinder and all that is attached. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

I'll try to catch up on critter pics for Rob. This little guy was captured on a camera trap set right next to the house. Probably the same f@#$er that stole my Tevas that year. Or maybe the one that left a turd on top of the bee smoker like a cherry on a sundae.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Feb 2 2019, 10:35 AM
Post #803

914 Guru

A bit of a learning curve with the plating. While I was able to get beautiful, shiny zinc plating from the get-go, I was having problems with the yellow chromate not hardening and would easily rub off even after several days of drying. After some reading on the Caswell forums, I adjusted my process and seem to be getting good, consistent results.

Here's a nice before and after.

Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
76-914
post Feb 2 2019, 02:25 PM
Post #804

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Nice looking work. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
euro911
post Feb 2 2019, 04:55 PM
Post #805

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

Now I know where to send my parts for plating (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Looking great, Brent (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Feb 2 2019, 09:14 PM
Post #806

914 Guru

Spring Time

I rigged up a Poor Man's spring tester today using some scrap plywood and a bathroom scale. I was hoping I would be able to put a 1 inch pre-load on the spring, tare the scale to zero, then crank the spring down another inch to read only the weight added in the second increment. I wasn't surprised it wouldn't tare with that much weight but my backup plan was to tare the scale with the spring on and no compression, then take incremental readings as I compressed the spring an inch at a time. Like most "smart devices," this thing is dumb as shit. Simple analog would have been much better. Anyway, I managed to compress the spring manually an inch to get a reading, then repeat at 2 inches. I tried for 3 inches but was afraid I would break the rig. Anyway, I was able to get consistent readings of 42 lbs. for the first inch which I expected would be light, then 92 lbs. at 2 inches. If I'm thinking right, that means my springs are only rating at 50 lbs/inch. Not unexpected but crap (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) I guess I'll jump on the GB for stock springs that 914Rubber has promised.

To end this on a more satisfying note, I put the instrument cluster in the dash today. Waiting for the wife to notice it missing from the family room counter. They look better in the dash. I'm a little bummed though because I have a set of new gauge gaskets from 914Rubber but they fit way loose in frame and the gauges would fall out if I used them. My original gaskets are looking a little ratty but at least they hold the gauges in place.

Attached Image

And here is a shot of the pedal cluster back home after 35 years. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
76-914
post Feb 2 2019, 09:43 PM
Post #807

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

In that next-to-the-last pic; Is that the "Steering Wheel Delete" Option I see , Brett?
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Feb 2 2019, 11:50 PM
Post #808

914 Guru

QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 2 2019, 08:43 PM) *

In that next-to-the-last pic; Is that the "Steering Wheel Delete" Option I see , Brett?

Yes, I figure I'll be so Zen with this car, it will just know where to go. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I'm actually itching to put that sucker in, but I'd just have to pull it out again when I get back to prepping for paint on the exterior. Right now, the whole dash can be lifted out in a couple of seconds. It seems to be getting heavier though for some reason. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
andrewb
post Feb 3 2019, 01:39 AM
Post #809

Member No.: 11,762
Region Association: None

QUOTE(bbrock @ Feb 3 2019, 07:50 AM) *

It seems to be getting heavier though for some reason. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

All that plating you're doing (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Love the spring test rig by the way - simple and effective and easy to beef it up if you were testing stiffer springs.

Keep it up with the critters. This was trying to hibernate with my 914 last week. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Feb 3 2019, 12:55 PM
Post #810

914 Guru

QUOTE(andrewb @ Feb 3 2019, 12:39 AM) *

It seems to be getting heavier though for some reason. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

All that plating you're doing (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Love the spring test rig by the way - simple and effective and easy to beef it up if you were testing stiffer springs.

Keep it up with the critters. This was trying to hibernate with my 914 last week. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Nice hedge hog! We don't get those cool little guys on this side of the pond, but my niece has one for a pet.

Kind of dead in the water on my project today. Trying to get new brake reservoir lines on the barb fittings that go into the master cylinder. Less fun than a case of crabs. Then the power went out... again. Have Internet on battery backup so not much to do but post another critter pic.

Things didn't end well for this little guy. Many years ago, I found it sleeping under our porch WHILE I was building it. It barely stirred through all the sawing, hammering and drilling but toward evening, it ventured out to do what skunks do. Unfortunately it had bad timing because our previous malamute happened to be walking by just then and nailed it. And yes, only then did it do the other thing that skunks do.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Dion
post Feb 3 2019, 01:44 PM
Post #811

RN

Member No.: 2,766
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(andrewb @ Feb 2 2019, 11:39 PM) *

Attached Image

Sorry can’t help myself....
Spiny Norman! all the Monty Python fans know!
.....Dinsdale?!!!
Looking great Brent. Love all the shiny hardware. Sorry you are having power issues .
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 3 2019, 02:28 PM
Post #812

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

QUOTE(bbrock @ Feb 2 2019, 10:14 PM) *

Spring Time

I rigged up a Poor Man's spring tester today using some scrap plywood and a bathroom scale. I was hoping I would be able to put a 1 inch pre-load on the spring, tare the scale to zero, then crank the spring down another inch to read only the weight added in the second increment. I wasn't surprised it wouldn't tare with that much weight but my backup plan was to tare the scale with the spring on and no compression, then take incremental readings as I compressed the spring an inch at a time. Like most "smart devices," this thing is dumb as shit. Simple analog would have been much better. Anyway, I managed to compress the spring manually an inch to get a reading, then repeat at 2 inches. I tried for 3 inches but was afraid I would break the rig. Anyway, I was able to get consistent readings of 42 lbs. for the first inch which I expected would be light, then 92 lbs. at 2 inches. If I'm thinking right, that means my springs are only rating at 50 lbs/inch. Not unexpected but crap (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) I guess I'll jump on the GB for stock springs that 914Rubber has promised.

To end this on a more satisfying note, I put the instrument cluster in the dash today. Waiting for the wife to notice it missing from the family room counter. They look better in the dash. I'm a little bummed though because I have a set of new gauge gaskets from 914Rubber but they fit way loose in frame and the gauges would fall out if I used them. My original gaskets are looking a little ratty but at least they hold the gauges in place.

And here is a shot of the pedal cluster back home after 35 years. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

I have heard that stock 914 springs ranged from 60-90lbs. I've never purchased a car with old shocks and springs that were any good but I still keep an old set or 2 because they are good for making a chassis a roller.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Feb 3 2019, 10:02 PM
Post #813

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Stock springs were on the order of 50 lb/in, so yours are pretty close. It takes some number crunching to get the figure, because the factory manual describes the spring rate in a very odd way, and you have to pull numbers from a couple different pages in the manual.

Hopefully the Piranha brothers will stay away from Andrew's place...

--DD
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Feb 3 2019, 10:40 PM
Post #814

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(bbrock @ Feb 3 2019, 10:55 AM) *

QUOTE(andrewb @ Feb 3 2019, 12:39 AM) *

Nice hedge hog! We don't get those cool little guys on this side of the pond, but my niece has one for a pet.

Kind of dead in the water on my project today. Trying to get new brake reservoir lines on the barb fittings that go into the master cylinder. Less fun than a case of crabs. Then the power went out... again. Have Internet on battery backup so not much to do but post another critter pic.

Things didn't end well for this little guy. Many years ago, I found it sleeping under our porch WHILE I was building it. It barely stirred through all the sawing, hammering and drilling but toward evening, it ventured out to do what skunks do. Unfortunately it had bad timing because our previous malamute happened to be walking by just then and nailed it. And yes, only then did it do the other thing that skunks do.

Attached Image

Our dog Steve got skunked a year ago on 2/13. I can only think of about 5 people I would wish that upon, and 3 of them were presidents.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Feb 3 2019, 10:53 PM
Post #815

914 Guru

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Feb 3 2019, 09:02 PM) *

Stock springs were on the order of 50 lb/in, so yours are pretty close. It takes some number crunching to get the figure, because the factory manual describes the spring rate in a very odd way, and you have to pull numbers from a couple different pages in the manual.

Hopefully the Piranha brothers will stay away from Andrew's place...

--DD

Hot diggity! I thought I was looking for a number north of 70 lbs/inch. This is the only good thing that's happened on this project today. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Feb 3 2019, 11:04 PM
Post #816

914 Guru

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Feb 3 2019, 09:40 PM) *

Our dog Steve got skunked a year ago on 2/13. I can only think of about 5 people I would wish that upon, and 3 of them were presidents.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) Sadly, having a dog get skunked has been about a biennial event for us for at least 30 years. It's a tradition that spans 4 dogs, 3 houses, and 2 states. The most epic episode was when our first malamute got skunked in the backyard at 2am Thanksgiving morning just hours before the family was due to arrive for the feast. Now we keep a quart of hydrogen peroxide on hand at all times for the inevitable de-skunking. The funny thing is that we've had a couple other skunks take up temporary residence under the porch and as long as I can keep a dog from attacking them, we get along just fine.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 6 2019, 08:32 PM
Post #817

914-6 GT in waiting

@bbrock Did you sew or glue the pressboard strips to the back pad. Because of the thickness of the foam and fabric, I was concerned it would become a mess if I tried to use glue so I sewed the strip in using the previous holes. It took a while but It looks like it will fold the way it's supposed to.

Attached image(s)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Feb 6 2019, 09:10 PM
Post #818

914 Guru

@mepstein , I just glued it and it worked pretty well, but if I had a way to sew it, that's what I would have done. Seems like that would also help compress the foam. How did you do it? Do you have a heavy duty sewing machine?
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 6 2019, 09:18 PM
Post #819

914-6 GT in waiting

I did it by hand with a needle and thread. I used the old pressboard strips since they already had holes from the previous stitches. I clamped each end to the counter to build in some stretch. My thought was if I didn’t pre stretch it, the middle would stretch more than the ends when I pulled it down onto the hooks. At worst, the end clamps held everything straight while I sewed.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Feb 6 2019, 09:21 PM
Post #820

914 Guru

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 6 2019, 08:18 PM) *

I did it by hand with a needle and thread. I used the old pressboard strips since they already had holes from the previous stitches. I clamped each end to the counter to build in some stretch. My thought was if I didn’t pre stretch it, the middle would stretch more than the ends when I pulled it down onto the hooks. At worst, the end clamps held everything straight while I sewed.

That's some good thinking (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif) I wish I'd have done it that way. I did use Weldwood contact adhesive on that instead of 3M because I knew it needed to be a strong bond to compensate for not being sewn.
+Quote Post

111 Pages V « < 39 40 41 42 43 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 12:01 PM