Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

111 Pages V « < 43 44 45 46 47 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Intro from Montana: '73 2.0L rustoration thread
76-914
post Mar 5 2019, 09:45 PM
Post #881

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

I haven't heard back from them either. They're presently in the discovery stage aka the Oh Shit stage. I'm sure they'll contact us after the dust settles. Years ago my neighbor had a Malamute. She had a 5' tall chain link fence and that dog used to get excited and would jump 5' high when I'd go over to pet him. He could have escaped anytime he wanted. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Mar 5 2019, 10:01 PM
Post #882

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 5 2019, 08:45 PM) *

Years ago my neighbor had a Malamute. She had a 5' tall chain link fence and that dog used to get excited and would jump 5' high when I'd go over to pet him. He could have escaped anytime he wanted. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

I can't believe he didn't! Escaping is pretty much what malamutes do! This one is our third. I have lots of war stories from our previous two. Current one is curled up on the couch next to me now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Roger that on the "oh shit" moment. I expect it will take some time since these have to be shipped form Germany so they'll have to follow the rabbit trail.
+Quote Post
preach
post Mar 6 2019, 10:14 AM
Post #883

Ridge Runner

Member No.: 11,513
Region Association: North East States

Looking good man.

I had a neighbor up in the NH mountains that had a Malamute, probably 140#.

Would sleep outside all winter and you would frequently have a mound of fresh snow move and he'd come out of it to say "hi". Very well mannered.

I had the pleasure of holding him down while his human pulled about 50 porcupine quills out of his face. More Bronco than Dog that day.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Mar 6 2019, 01:31 PM
Post #884

914 Guru

QUOTE(preach @ Mar 6 2019, 09:14 AM) *

Looking good man.

I had a neighbor up in the NH mountains that had a Malamute, probably 140#.

Would sleep outside all winter and you would frequently have a mound of fresh snow move and he'd come out of it to say "hi". Very well mannered.

I had the pleasure of holding him down while his human pulled about 50 porcupine quills out of his face. More Bronco than Dog that day.

Ha! That sounds familiar. Ours wakes me up at about 2am every morning by shaking his tags/butler's bell to tell me he wants out on the deck to sleep in "reasonable" temps (we keep the house in the low 60s at night but still too hot for him). When it was -23F the other night, I checked on him and he just looked annoyed at the intrusion before curling back up to sleep. He is quite often that snow lump in the morning. June is hard on him because the snow melts. He chases it at it recedes until he's left with just a little patch to lay his chin on. Right now he is curled up on the hard packed snow on the driveway. Must be warming up though because his nose is on TOP of his tail instead of underneath.

We are on day 3 of no propane or heat. I'm over screaming at people on the phone. Called every propane service in the area and it is clear they have shaved staff and equipment costs to the point they are not prepared to handle a good old fashioned Montana winter. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Mar 6 2019, 01:47 PM
Post #885

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744

the term they used at a shop i worked at is ,,,No we are not hirng to refill postions , we will back fill with existing employes.... WTF
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
altitude411
post Mar 6 2019, 03:48 PM
Post #886

I drove my 6 into a tree

Member No.: 17,932

+Quote Post
bbrock
post Mar 7 2019, 08:57 AM
Post #887

914 Guru

QUOTE(altitude411 @ Mar 6 2019, 02:48 PM) *

Propane delivered! You didn't have to delete that post, I didn't mind the hijack. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) You were right that the overall crazy growth around Bozeman is the ultimate problem here. The driver who delivered last night confirmed this wasn't an inability to find drivers in this case though. But yeah, I may have to move if this area keeps growing.

Now back to the project (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
PCA7GGR
post Mar 7 2019, 10:18 AM
Post #888

Member No.: 1,219

Always a pleasure catching up on your thread - brake parts came out great.
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Mar 7 2019, 12:09 PM
Post #889

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 7 2019, 06:57 AM) *

But yeah, I may have to move if this area keeps growing.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Where would you move? You already live in the last best place. Sorry man, you'll just have to make the best of it.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Mar 7 2019, 12:45 PM
Post #890

914 Guru

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Mar 7 2019, 11:09 AM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 7 2019, 06:57 AM) *

But yeah, I may have to move if this area keeps growing.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Where would you move? You already live in the last best place. Sorry man, you'll just have to make the best of it.

There are a few better places within the "last best place," but I'm not telling where they are. Luckily, we live far enough out to have a decent buffer against the craziness, so we still have it pretty good. The growth projection are scary though.

+Quote Post
bbrock
post Mar 8 2019, 06:23 PM
Post #891

914 Guru

Insanity?

I just finished a critical, top-priority task. The Bilstein factory paints the rear shocks with the lower perch circlip in place. When you move the clip to adjust the perch height, it leaves a naked ring. Tsk, tsk, tsk, those sloppy Germans... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Attached Image

Aside from the hideousness of the glaring flaw that would surely draw ridicule, it seemed like the ring of bare metal might invite rust. Testers 1169 Yellow is a good match. So.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Attached Image

I think I dodged a bullet because I'm sure without this correction, the ride would be unbearably harsh. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Mar 8 2019, 07:19 PM
Post #892

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Nice attention to detail. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Mar 9 2019, 08:31 AM
Post #893

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

And you give me a hard time! At least I only redo my own work! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Seriously, I'm with you that all the little things add up. You're going to have one very tidy ride, my friend.
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Mar 9 2019, 10:41 AM
Post #894

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/silver914.jpg) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/FERG.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)
+Quote Post
914_7T3
post Mar 9 2019, 01:35 PM
Post #895

Please forgive me, I'm new to all of this!

Member No.: 20,991

QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 8 2019, 04:23 PM) *

Insanity?

I just finished a critical, top-priority task. The Bilstein factory paints the rear shocks with the lower perch circlip in place. When you move the clip to adjust the perch height, it leaves a naked ring. Tsk, tsk, tsk, those sloppy Germans... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Aside from the hideousness of the glaring flaw that would surely draw ridicule, it seemed like the ring of bare metal might invite rust. Testers 1169 Yellow is a good match. So.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

I think I dodged a bullet because I'm sure without this correction, the ride would be unbearably harsh. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
mb911
post Mar 9 2019, 02:21 PM
Post #896

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

@bbrock your attention to detail is really shining through. Love it.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Mar 10 2019, 09:53 PM
Post #897

914 Guru

Thanks for the support everyone. I'm not sure you should be encouraging my craziness but I appreciate it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

This weekend was another flurry of activity without much ready for show and tell. I did get the steering rack cover taken care of temporarily. It was such a mess, I wasn't sure it would be salvageable. Badly pitted with pinholes in spots and beat to hell with a big crease where it shouldn't be.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Thanks to the undercoating, it wasn't a total loss and most of the pitting was on the inner surface. After blasting, I gave it a skim coat of reinforced filler to fill pits, pinholes, and restore strength. I forgot to snap a pic before painting so here it is with a new set of seals from 914Rubber. My phone camera really didn't want to focus on this piece so this pic is the best I could do.

Attached Image

I didn't even try to make it perfect. Given what it does and where I live, that seemed pretty futile. I've half-assed everything else on this car, why stop now? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) It still has a lot of dings and waves. I'll follow up with either some stone guard paint or Raptor bed liner which will not only hide the imperfections, but protect it. The paint for now is more just to give me something somewhat pleasant to look at.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Mar 10 2019, 10:57 PM
Post #898

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 10 2019, 07:53 PM) *

Thanks for the support everyone. I'm not sure you should be encouraging my craziness but I appreciate it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

This weekend was another flurry of activity without much ready for show and tell. I did get the steering rack cover taken care of temporarily. It was such a mess, I wasn't sure it would be salvageable. Badly pitted with pinholes in spots and beat to hell with a big crease where it shouldn't be.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Thanks to the undercoating, it wasn't a total loss and most of the pitting was on the inner surface. After blasting, I gave it a skim coat of reinforced filler to fill pits, pinholes, and restore strength. I forgot to snap a pic before painting so here it is with a new set of seals from 914Rubber. My phone camera really didn't want to focus on this piece so this pic is the best I could do.

Attached Image

I didn't even try to make it perfect. Given what it does and where I live, that seemed pretty futile. I've half-assed everything else on this car, why stop now? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) It still has a lot of dings and waves. I'll follow up with either some stone guard paint or Raptor bed liner which will not only hide the imperfections, but protect it. The paint for now is more just to give me something somewhat pleasant to look at.
Holes in that pan don't pose a problem ... in fact, enlarging them helps with drainage (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

The 'BB' didn't come with a pan, so many years ago another member, Alberto ( @lagunero ) gave me a dented up one. I blasted it and pounded it back into shape, primed and painted it, then forgot where I stashed it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Mar 11 2019, 09:42 PM
Post #899

914 Guru

Attached Image

Attached Image

This phone camera rally doesn't like to focus on black things.

Attached Image

These aren't perfect. The camera hides the flaws. But they'll do.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
preach
post Mar 12 2019, 02:46 PM
Post #900

Ridge Runner

Member No.: 11,513
Region Association: North East States

Looks great Brent!
+Quote Post

111 Pages V « < 43 44 45 46 47 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 02:21 PM