Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

111 Pages V « < 45 46 47 48 49 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Intro from Montana: '73 2.0L rustoration thread
defianty
post Mar 19 2019, 10:53 AM
Post #921

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,621
Region Association: None

QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 19 2019, 04:49 PM) *

My apologies if that disturbed anyone.

No worries - the rawl plug however (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
76-914
post Mar 19 2019, 06:20 PM
Post #922

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Somebody told me that you're having all the "Lock Wafers and Springs" Nikasiled. When were you going to tell us? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Mar 19 2019, 07:13 PM
Post #923

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 19 2019, 04:20 PM) *

Somebody told me that you're having all the "Lock Wafers and Springs" Nikasiled. When were you going to tell us? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Mar 19 2019, 07:16 PM
Post #924

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 19 2019, 06:20 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
altitude411
post Mar 19 2019, 07:21 PM
Post #925

I drove my 6 into a tree

Member No.: 17,932

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Mar 19 2019, 09:27 PM
Post #926

914 Guru

QUOTE(defianty @ Mar 19 2019, 10:53 AM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 19 2019, 04:49 PM) *

My apologies if that disturbed anyone.

No worries - the rawl plug however (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) I thought that was stock (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) and I learned a new term today. I'm going to file rawl plug alongside bonnet, boot, and pissed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Here's another. Yesterday these tubular rivets arrived for the accelerator stop on the pedal board. A normal person would just pop rivet that back on, but do I have to say it? That's not what the Germans did (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached Image

Here's a tip, don't be an idiot like me. When I removed the accelerator stop, I did my best to measure for replacement rivets that I found for a few buck on ebay. Then I waited a month for them to take the slow boat from China. Of course they were the wrong size. I adjusted and order again. A month later - closer but still not right. The third time I felt confident I had the size right but a couple days later, I was looking in the PET and noticed those goddam rivets have a part number and the size is listed clear as can be in the catalog. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) Luckily, I had gotten it right on the third go so a mere 3 months later, I was ready to install. I really had no clue how to install rivet and I didn't want to spend $ on special tools. I had to destroy a few to figure it out, but used a large center punch and very light taps with a hammer to flare the opening. Not too far or it will split. The lowest one here is how it looked when finished with the punch. The others have already been set but gently driving them down with the ball end of a ball peen hammer.

Attached Image

It isn't absolutely perfect, but close to original but this isn't the money shot anyway. This is the important side. Looks just like stock.

Attached Image

Of course the clutch stop got a fresh coat of zinc. If I can figure out what stupid thing I did with the funky little washer on the right side of the board, it will be back in business.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Mar 21 2019, 04:33 PM
Post #927

914 Guru

All the cool kids have these (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Attached Image

The day after I bought my first car (a 70 914), I had to take the shift linkage apart for my very first repair. After fighting those f-ing cone screws for a couple hours, I was convinced they were about the dumbest thing Porsche could do so I had a local machinist make these for me for about 5 bucks. They've served me well through 3 914s but it was time for an update. @Dave_Darling recently pointed out on another thread that I should use locktite on them since the originals had nylon inserts so they don't vibrate out. As you can see, I did one better and added nylon inserts. Pretty simple. Just cross-drill with 1/8" bore, drive in a nylon screw, and trim it off. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

Here's one in the shift coupler.

Attached Image

Pull the boot over it and the CW will never know, but they'll come out without all the drilling and cussing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wavey.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Mar 21 2019, 04:50 PM
Post #928

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

It's a good thing those ugly hex heads won't show that would be unacceptable to the date coders and the Germans.

If you don't tell, I won't.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)

Absolutely looking great. I'll start gathering up all my rusty bits to be shipped your way for the Montana Hot Springs Chromate Spa treatment.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
johnlush
post Mar 21 2019, 04:50 PM
Post #929

What's all this then?

Member No.: 2,108

Cool idea on the cone screws. Your attention to detail is inspirational!
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Mar 21 2019, 10:32 PM
Post #930

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

You could also safety-wire them... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

--DD
+Quote Post
raynekat
post Mar 21 2019, 10:54 PM
Post #931

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,263

Brent I would have to certify you as resident cone head screw meister.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
andrewb
post Mar 22 2019, 01:11 AM
Post #932

Member No.: 11,762

QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 20 2019, 05:27 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) I thought that was stock (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) and I learned a new term today. I'm going to file rawl plug alongside bonnet, boot, and pissed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Well done Brent - you're almost bi-lingual. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

I did wonder if Steven's use of that term would cause confusion - what is the Americanese for a rawl plug ? I thought y'all just used nails ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
bbrock
post Mar 22 2019, 02:42 PM
Post #933

914 Guru

I'll take these in order.

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Mar 21 2019, 04:50 PM) *

It's a good thing those ugly hex heads won't show that would be unacceptable to the date coders and the Germans.

Absolutely looking great. I'll start gathering up all my rusty bits to be shipped your way for the Montana Hot Springs Chromate Spa treatment.

Ha! This being able to plate yourself is a bit like a crack habit. Every time, you convince yourself you are going to quit but.... just this once more won't hurt. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

QUOTE(johnlush @ Mar 21 2019, 04:50 PM) *

Thanks, but this kind of comment only encourages the insanity. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/teef.gif)

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 21 2019, 10:32 PM) *

--DD

Could I substitute dental floss? We seem to have a lot of that around here for some reason. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

QUOTE(raynekat @ Mar 21 2019, 10:54 PM) *

Brent I would have to certify you as resident cone head screw meister.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Attached Image

Mebs! Mebs! UNACCEPTABLE! I'm from France. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

QUOTE(andrewb @ Mar 22 2019, 01:11 AM) *

Well done Brent - you're almost bi-lingual. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

I did wonder if Steven's use of that term would cause confusion - what is the Americanese for a rawl plug ? I thought y'all just used nails ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Complete bollocks!

We call it a drywall anchor BTW. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/whistle[1].gif)
+Quote Post
ablesnead
post Mar 22 2019, 03:28 PM
Post #934

Member No.: 16,395

QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 22 2019, 04:42 PM) *

I'll take these in order.

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Mar 21 2019, 04:50 PM) *

Ha! This being able to plate yourself is a bit like a crack habit. Every time, you convince yourself you are going to quit but.... just this once more won't hurt. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

QUOTE(johnlush @ Mar 21 2019, 04:50 PM) *

Thanks, but this kind of comment only encourages the insanity. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/teef.gif)

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 21 2019, 10:32 PM) *

--DD

Could I substitute dental floss? We seem to have a lot of that around here for some reason. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

QUOTE(raynekat @ Mar 21 2019, 10:54 PM) *

Attached Image

Mebs! Mebs! UNACCEPTABLE! I'm from France. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

QUOTE(andrewb @ Mar 22 2019, 01:11 AM) *

Complete bollocks!

We call it a drywall anchor BTW. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/whistle[1].gif)

Rawl plugs were the precursor to that new fangled plastic wall plug...they were a solid fibrous plug that you screwed into , and the expansion supplied the grip...young whippersnappers !
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Mar 22 2019, 05:29 PM
Post #935

914 Guru

QUOTE(ablesnead @ Mar 22 2019, 03:28 PM) *

Rawl plugs were the precursor to that new fangled plastic wall plug...they were a solid fibrous plug that you screwed into , and the expansion supplied the grip...young whippersnappers !

Really? Not horse hair? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Okay, maybe it's time to fix that.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Now let's not have you crazy Brits coming in calling those heli-fiddlers or some nutty thing like that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)

Moving on. I realized that when this thing becomes a roller, I'm going to need a way to steer it so I dusted off the old steering column. The tear down was a quick lunch break thing and I forgot to take pics. The steering action was horrible. It felt like the bearings had turned to gravel. I was convinced the rear bearing was so far gone that I placed a quick ebay order for an SKF sealed replacement before I even tried to clean it. To my surprise, after a soak in gasoline and getting all the old waxy greasy out, both bearings were silky smooth.

Attached Image

The only part I really need to install right now is the steering tube. This may be a surprise, but I chose not to replate it. It's in pretty good shape and the size and shape made me doubt I could do a good job with my setup. It looks just fine.

Attached Image

I did replate the cap screws and replace the lock washers. Note: yellow cap screws and black lock washers. That's the way mine came anyway. You can put your own together however you like, but don't blame me when your steering wheel fall off because you used the wrong color washers. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Attached Image

Slippery slope warning: I had decided to not replate the steering shaft bolts and Fuji nuts because they were also in good shape... except for one (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) If you are going to plate one, might as well plate them all. So the steering shaft is naked right now.

While the dash was out, I installed new rubber washers on the mounting bolts. Porsche sent me an extra set, so if anyone wants a set, PM me.

Attached Image

And WA-la! We have a steering wheel. Oh look at that, Gomer got the pedal board installed.

Attached Image

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
andrewb
post Mar 22 2019, 05:59 PM
Post #936

Member No.: 11,762

QUOTE(ablesnead @ Mar 22 2019, 11:28 PM) *

Oh yeah - I vaguely remember my Dad having some of those. (No offence (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) ) But over here the name has transferred to the plastic variety which - IMO - are vastly superior to those old fibrous things.

Anyway back to cars and critters before Brent gets more annoyed - how do these keep appearing, Mr Biologist sir, dead, in the middle of my workshop floor ?

Attached Image

Are they sky diving off the ceiling ? (For the non-biologists it's a newt - which I think you call a gingrich ?)

Oh and great work on the car btw. Inspiring and educational. Really looking forward to seeing it on its wheels.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Mar 22 2019, 06:26 PM
Post #937

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

For someone with such an advanced case of OCD (and trust me, I'd know), I have to say I'm surprised you can tolerate seeing the steering wheel on there without the turnsignal/washer housing. Please correct that immediately and PM me once it's done. I can't risk seeing that again. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Mar 22 2019, 07:08 PM
Post #938

914 Guru

QUOTE(andrewb @ Mar 22 2019, 05:59 PM) *

Anyway back to cars and critters before Brent gets more annoyed - how do these keep appearing, Mr Biologist sir, dead, in the middle of my workshop floor ?

They like to squeeze into moist crevices like the smallest gap under a wall sill, between the slab and foundation, under a garage door seal, etc. Then they crawl across the garage floor where their shelf-life becomes very short before drying out. Imagine your garage floor is the Sahara and that poor little guy crawling toward a mirage.

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Mar 22 2019, 06:26 PM) *

For someone with such an advanced case of OCD (and trust me, I'd know), I have to say I'm surprised you can tolerate seeing the steering wheel on there without the turnsignal/washer housing. Please correct that immediately and PM me once it's done. I can't risk seeing that again. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

You? OCD? I'm sorry but I just don't see it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

I've been working on the housing and it should get a fresh coat of paint tomorrow. I think you'll get more eye-rolling fodder there. I don't want to get too far ahead of myself though because I want to be able to easily take the dash out and safely tucked away before I mask and get back to blocking the exterior. Same reason I haven't put the shift lever back in. Trust me, I REALLY want to but I don't need it poking through masking plastic and getting over spray.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Mar 23 2019, 11:09 PM
Post #939

914 Guru

Sweet Sixteen

Got the wheel bolts plated. I think these look pretty good straight from plating. Difference between these and my test is that they have a much thicker coat of zinc and I flash dried them with compressed air after rinsing. Plating time was about 7X what I did for the test. I don't know if that equals 7X the thickness of zinc but there should be plenty on these for protection. Flash drying is key for a uniform sheen. I'm really happy with both the sheen and uniformity. I don't think I'll bother with polishing as I don't want them overly shiny. What do y'all think?

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Mar 23 2019, 11:28 PM
Post #940

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344

I think the factory should have done them that nice!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post

111 Pages V « < 45 46 47 48 49 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 11:08 AM