Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

111 Pages V « < 46 47 48 49 50 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Intro from Montana: '73 2.0L rustoration thread
euro911
post Mar 24 2019, 03:15 AM
Post #941

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

They look spectacular (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Mar 24 2019, 08:20 AM
Post #942

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

It's official. You're nuts.
Oh, and:
Your nuts! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)

Come for a visit and teach me how to plate.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Mar 24 2019, 01:38 PM
Post #943

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Mar 24 2019, 08:20 AM) *

Oh, and:
Your nuts! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)

Oh my! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blush.gif) Thanks, I guess? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Mar 24 2019, 05:57 PM
Post #944

914 Guru

This pic is special for @tygaboy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Attached Image

Okay, let's fix that before you blow a fuse. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

A couple very important things to deal with in restoring the column housing. First is this critical stamping. Lose that, and the car will always pull to the right.

Attached Image

I don't know what this green splotch does but I really don't want to find out what happens if it is removed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Attached Image

Trying to be careful, I started cleaning the piece with warm solution of Dawn dish soap and water and a soft toothbrush thinking that was safe. To my horror, the white stamping started wiping right off! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yikes.gif) I finished cleaning CAREFULLY and just scuffed the original paint with 400 grit as it was still adhering well. I also sanded out some key nicks around the ignition lock housing. I didn't get them all out as I didn't want to sand that deep, but it's better. I rolled the masking around the stamping to soften the spray edge and help the paint blend.

Attached Image

Boy, I sure hope there is enough of that stamp left. I don't really want to have to visit the stamp man again. Paint looks good though. You can't even see where the old meets the new. The flash really catches those key nicks though. It doesn't look that bad in life. Black is the correct color for that clamping bolt. Don't get that wrong or you will be sorry. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Attached Image

Green splotch is intact. That's a relief.

Attached Image

And here it is in place. I hope Mr. Baker appreciates that I dug the plastic collar out of storage just for him. It's a bit faded. I'll see what a treatment with Forever Black does for it. I suppose I'm going to hear about the missing switch levers though. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) Maybe later. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wavey.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Mar 24 2019, 06:08 PM
Post #945

914 Guru

Oh my gosh... Thank you! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Mar 24 2019, 06:10 PM
Post #946

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(bbrock @ Mar 24 2019, 03:57 PM) *

Lose that, and the car will always pull to the right.

Admins, cleanup on aisle 3 please. Clearly a blatant political statement. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)
+Quote Post
Dion
post Mar 24 2019, 06:19 PM
Post #947

RN

Member No.: 2,766
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Mar 24 2019, 04:10 PM) *

Admins, cleanup on aisle 3 please. Clearly a blatant political statement. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) luv it!

Oh and nice work there Brent. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) pour yerself one.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Mar 24 2019, 08:27 PM
Post #948

914 Guru

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Mar 24 2019, 06:10 PM) *

Okay, that's a good one. You get points for that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

One more little side project before posting the main project for the weekend. I had to pull and prep the wiper assembly bracket to send off for plating. That area was ground zero for the mouse and weasel apocalypse that hit my car so... Eww!!!! I didn't take proper "before" pics but you can get a little sense here. Note the hair on the motor from dead animals.

Attached Image

The pan was to just clean, blast, and wire wheel the bracket and leave the rest for later, but there are so many fiddly parts that I wanted to get them back together while my memory was fresh.

Attached Image

After a lot of scrubbing off the grease and pee crust and replating all the parts, here's where it sits now.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Mar 24 2019, 09:35 PM
Post #949

914 Guru

It's hard to believe this, but it's time to get tires for this tub. First I need to clean up this stack of wheels.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-20845-1551738206_thumb.jpg)

Attached Image

I tried @mepsteins trick of cutting off the tire and then using a pair of bolt cutters to cut the bead and remove the remainder. Cutting the tires was a piece of cake so, bein the idiot that I am, I plowed through three of them before thinking maybe I should make sure I could cut the beads. Needless to say, I could not. After 35 years, the rubber had hardened and cemented so tight to the rims that no about of pounding or prying would bet them loose enough to use the bolt cutters. Even worse, my closest neighbor has a hydraulic tire machine but I didn't want to bother him. Well, I got over that. Even with his machine, we had to fight to get the two intact tires off and only one side of each of the ones I had cut. I got the remainder off this morning by first grinding the rubber away with a paint stripping wheel and then cutting the bead cord with a cutoff wheel on a drill.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Then prying with a pry bar.

Attached Image

I finally had five naked and grungy rims.

Attached Image

Attached Image

I picked one out and scrubbed it with dish soap and fine steel wool. The results are less than spectacular. There's a lot of scrapes, scratches and stains on these and I'd really like to send them off to one of the wheel wizards for professional restoration, but my bank account says otherwise so I'll have to clean them the best I can and live with them for awhile. Still, it's an improvement.

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Mar 24 2019, 09:47 PM
Post #950

914 Guru

All of them have a fair amount of curb rash. I should at least be able to do something about that.

Attached Image

Here's how it looks after one pass with 220 grit on a random orbit palm sander. This is actually not bad. I can't get the deepest gouges out but I think if I take this to about 800 to 1000 grit, it should match the original sheen pretty close. I had to throw some bolts on there just to see how they look. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached Image

Some of the other damage I'll be dealing with on these wheels. Looks like somebody used sandpaper and scratched through the anodizing.

Attached Image

Attached Image

and deep stains and marks left by adhesive wheel weights.

Attached Image

These wheels won't be perfect but they should be okay 10 footers. I'll do some research, but if anyone has tips or suggestions to share, I'm all ears. Ultimately, I think they'll need professional restoration but I can't swing that financially right now so I'll get them as good as I can and be happy with it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Mar 29 2019, 10:49 PM
Post #951

914 Guru

A bit of old business. Chris got into my head about my steering column so I decided to finish resto on that as a side project. I tried treating the plastic collar with Forever Black but it showed brush marks, so I just sanded and painted with SEM Trim Black instead. Not a great pic of the paint job, but here's my attempt at fancy photography after attaching the polished horn ring. The ring got a thin coat of dielectric grease after I snapped this pic.

Attached Image

A couple details on the ignition lock. There are a couple parts in the catalog in the diagram between items 3 and 14 that are not listed. One is called a "rubber block" in the manual and I assume the other is a spring.

Attached Image

I've forgotten what thread or whose car this pic of the foam block is from, but here's what it should look like.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/farm2.staticflickr.com-431-1537848316.1.jpg)

I dug a spring that looked about right out of my assortment and cut a block from medium density foam. People blame the ignition switch for failure, but I'll bet it is these pieces missing that is the problem. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Attached Image

The horn contacts on the turn signal switch has deep grooves worn in them like so many do. I decided to buy it some time by adding silver solder to the contact points. Not the prettiest job because my silver solder is old and I didn't bother to clean the oxidation off before using it so a bit of contamination got in. It's only cosmetic. This should add years of life to this old part.

Attached Image

A good shot of the installed column has eluded me. This is the best I've done so far.

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Mar 29 2019, 11:09 PM
Post #952

914 Guru

Strut Your Stuff

I found front shocks quite a bit cheaper than other vendors on Amazon but the trade-off was I had to wait almost 2 months for them to ship. I suspected Amazon was going to pull another bait and cancel number on me like they did with the bed liner. I was relieved when UPS dropped these in our parcel locker today.

Attached Image

They come with new green hats; I guess so you can show off that you are sporting Bilsteins. That wasn't going to work for me and I opted for my freshly painted originals for the OEM "stealth" look.

Attached Image

Here's the 'before' shot of those hats. A modest improvement I think.

Attached Image

Those gas shocks take some work to install because you have to compress them to squeeze them in under the fender. Not too bad though.

Attached Image

The critical step for a smooth ride. The stamp man cometh. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Attached Image

And a shot from up top. I need to order new lock tabs and make a tool to hold the strut top before I can torque it. I don't want to mar my freshly plated top plate with a pipe wrench which is how I used to do those.

Attached Image

That's all for now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
+Quote Post
914_7T3
post Mar 29 2019, 11:15 PM
Post #953

Please forgive me, I'm new to all of this!

Member No.: 20,991
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Mar 30 2019, 08:10 AM
Post #954

914 Guru

Brent - Really, really nice work all around! You should be quite proud of the results you've achieved. Thanks for the great documenting of your work, too.
Lots of great info others will surely leverage!
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Mar 30 2019, 10:17 AM
Post #955

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
defianty
post Mar 30 2019, 11:00 AM
Post #956

Member No.: 6,621
Region Association: None

Great work again. I've been working on my steering column this week too. Just waiting on a new bearing to arrive before I can get it all back together.
+Quote Post
narino
post Mar 30 2019, 11:34 AM
Post #957

Member No.: 8,001
Region Association: None

Holy crap Brent, amazing work and documentation. I hope your motivation is contagious via internet!

Also, nice to see another Wildcat on here. I grew up in dead middle of KS, a small town called McPherson. Between midnight bonfire parties and country road exploring I somehow graduated and did a turn at K-State. Nothing but fond memories of KS, good people and good times.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Mar 30 2019, 12:42 PM
Post #958

914 Guru

QUOTE(narino @ Mar 30 2019, 11:34 AM) *

Holy crap Brent, amazing work and documentation. I hope your motivation is contagious via internet!

Also, nice to see another Wildcat on here. I grew up in dead middle of KS, a small town called McPherson. Between midnight bonfire parties and country road exploring I somehow graduated and did a turn at K-State. Nothing but fond memories of KS, good people and good times.

Thanks! I know McPherson well. My brother lived there for a stint and one of my office mates in grad school was from there and still lives there I think. Slowest main street traffic the country (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) Hard to believe, but I was at K-State for 22 years!
+Quote Post
barefoot
post Mar 30 2019, 01:50 PM
Post #959

Member No.: 15,673
Region Association: South East States

And a shot from up top. I need to order new lock tabs and make a tool to hold the strut top before I can torque it. I don't want to mar my freshly plated top plate with a pipe wrench which is how I used to do those.

Attached Image

That's all for now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
[/quote]

Just use a strap wrench, cheap at Harbor Freight.
don't need to buy special single use tools !!

+Quote Post
bbrock
post Mar 30 2019, 02:18 PM
Post #960

914 Guru

QUOTE(barefoot @ Mar 30 2019, 01:50 PM) *

Just use a strap wrench, cheap at Harbor Freight.
don't need to buy special single use tools !!

Good idea. I was just going to find a piece of pipe the right ID and weld a dog into it to catch that tab. Then I read an old thread this morning where @cary just uses an impact wrench to tighten them up. Will probably give tht a try first. IIRC, once the plate gets enough "bite" into the rubber, you can torque without any tools to hold it in place. I like the strap wrench idea and it seems like I should have one around here somewhere. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post

111 Pages V « < 46 47 48 49 50 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 09:02 PM