Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hypothetical question about sticking brakes
McLovin
post Mar 27 2017, 11:09 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,360
Region Association: South East States

I have a quick question for the group. Are there any qualms or reservations against using "unloaded" brake calipers like these and transferring the bits and pieces of your OEM calipers to these calipers? This all assumes you have good pads, of course.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Pors...8L/A119434.html

So are these unloaded brake calipers a bad idea? They seem like a much less tedious alternative to a rebuild kit without too much more money.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Mar 28 2017, 01:31 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

Brakes only stick cause the calipers and bores are all glazed up or the flexible lines are shit,I presume you are talking about a car you are driving not some not driven for 20yrs type and then you have issues.
Brakes are a serious item ,think you could find working units secondhand and fix those for less,up to you your car afterall.
+Quote Post
McLovin
post Mar 28 2017, 06:45 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 20,360
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(porschetub @ Mar 28 2017, 03:31 AM) *

Brakes only stick cause the calipers and bores are all glazed up or the flexible lines are shit,I presume you are talking about a car you are driving not some not driven for 20yrs type and then you have issues.
Brakes are a serious item ,think you could find working units secondhand and fix those for less,up to you your car afterall.

Thanks, yes. I knew this. Which is why I am looking into replacement calipers. And then I read about the unloaded calipers, which lead to my original question.

I'm trying to determine if it is routine to purchase these unloaded calipers and then just borrow the missing hardware off the old brakes? (assuming new pads are put on) Do these "unloaded" calipers include the expanding cylinders in good working order? (sorry that I don't know the terminology)
+Quote Post
Jeff Hail
post Mar 28 2017, 09:52 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 7,712

Buyer beware on the A1's

Comes in a variety of finishes? Yup they have been chemically washed and then given an oil bath. They look like sintered iron. A1's are not re-plated. If they are its whats left of the original that has seen its finer days.

Color/Finish: Natural. Yup that too and in 2-3 car washes they will change to another slightly orange natural color.

SAE specific? That's a good one!

For that price if your skills allow you could disassemble your own, clean them, polish the pistons, very light two turn hone the bores yourself, order the seals, brake grease and speed bleeders from PMB and reassemble them. May not be pretty but you would be ok for a while

Option 2: Send yours to Eric at PMB and be done with it. Good for another 20 years.
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Mar 29 2017, 12:12 AM
Post #5

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

A1 Cardone builds crap calipers. Bought one once for a customer as I was out. They had the pistons in wrong. They drilled a second bleeder screw and it was so crooked that the hex of the bleeder hit the housing and would not seal. Had to grind the housing to clear.
Bought another pair of BMW 320I calipers and wanted to plate them. Found the oil finish still had rust under the surface. Not impressed. Twice is enough for me.
Only positive is the price but not even sure it it is worth that when you have to rework them to make them usable.
If you have any skills you can do a better rebuild them yourself. Not that hard. Lots of cleaning.
+Quote Post
falcor75
post Mar 29 2017, 01:37 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 15,176
Region Association: Scandinavia

PMB sells quality rebuilt calipers for only $300 for a pair.....I cant see how theres a reason to go anywhere else?
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Mar 29 2017, 08:02 AM
Post #7

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

The quality of their work is reflected in the cataloging.

Fits: 1974-1975 Porsche 914 Base 4 Cyl 1.8L Coupe, RWD, With Metal Piston

Only fits the coupe 914. I guess that is one of the two hardtop flat 8's built by Porsche (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Mar 29 2017, 03:57 PM
Post #8

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

"unloaded" means no pads, pins, or spreader springs.

Look at the braking system as an entire component with many parts. If it's been a long time since parts have been replaced then you need to go master cylinder to caliper and replace or rebuild any suspect parts. If the flex lines look old, then they need to be replaced.

There's a good reason you'll find good reviews and personal endorsements about PMB.

Don't be "that guy" who asks for advice, then goes the opposite direction only to screw the pooch
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 09:35 PM