Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Classified Rules!
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> FS 1974 1.8L $ 15900, 2nd owner 70 K orginal
Laurent Z
post Apr 12 2017, 05:45 PM
Post #1

I'm new here ...

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,002
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Hello everyone

I am very new to your world, the 914 world that is.
I have a 914 that i am trying to sell for the last 2 months on CL in the northwest but i keep having only scammers and BS offers. I am so tired of it. A friend told me to reach out people with same interest and passion.
I am going thru rough financial times right now and i need to sell my baby that i have for the last 5 years
I am the second owner (with paper to prove it) of a
1974 914 1.8L with 70 K miles
Phoenix red
No rust. No restoration but re-spray in the 80's.
Asking $ 15900. I really have no idea what the market is and even by looking at Nada or Edmund or KBB i feel its all over. I would love to have some feedback
I can provide more pics of course on request
I am located in the inland pacific northwest close to Spokane in Idaho though.

Thank you all for looking and your input.
LZ [attachmentid=600
362] Attached Image Attached Image Attached ImageAttached ImageAttached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
MikeInMunich
post Apr 13 2017, 02:21 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 16,674
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

Why did you wait so long to join this awesome forum? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

If your car is original and solid, not leaking oil, running nicely, you can get that price for it.

I strongly suggest posting many more photos. Interior, undercarriage, trunks, engine bay...everything.

Good luck!

M.i.M.
+Quote Post
iwanta914-6
post Apr 13 2017, 07:41 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 10,510

I think I've run across your car on craigslist during my searches.

As was already mentioned, pictures pictures pictures! Of everything! This can lead to much more interest if everything looks good.

As for value, hagerty is often considered to be more accurate when it comes to vintage cars. Below is a screenshot of the values for a 1974 914 1.8L.

Attached Image

I'm sorry to hear of your financial situation forcing the sale, always makes it harder. If the car has no issues in the typical 914 areas, and you had time to find the right buyer, you could certainly get your asking price. But, if there is any sign of trouble in the "hell hole" or around the jack tubes and longitudinals and need cash now, you'll want to consider offers below asking or lower the price. Until the world can see more pictures, it's really difficult to determine actual value.
+Quote Post
Laurent Z
post Apr 13 2017, 01:21 PM
Post #4

I'm new here ...

QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Apr 13 2017, 06:41 AM) *

I think I've run across your car on craigslist during my searches.

As was already mentioned, pictures pictures pictures! Of everything! This can lead to much more interest if everything looks good.

As for value, hagerty is often considered to be more accurate when it comes to vintage cars. Below is a screenshot of the values for a 1974 914 1.8L.

Attached Image

I'm sorry to hear of your financial situation forcing the sale, always makes it harder. If the car has no issues in the typical 914 areas, and you had time to find the right buyer, you could certainly get your asking price. But, if there is any sign of trouble in the "hell hole" or around the jack tubes and longitudinals and need cash now, you'll want to consider offers below asking or lower the price. Until the world can see more pictures, it's really difficult to determine actual value.

Thank you to all of you....as Mike in Munich says.....how did i stay out of your world for so long. It is the first time i get feedback so positive and intelligent.
I will definitely post more pics as you all suggested. This sunday should be sunny and she needs to get out .....cabin fever....winter has been too long for her and me as well.
Thanks again
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Apr 13 2017, 01:48 PM
Post #5

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

I would take that Hagerty guide with a grain of salt and only the roughest of guides, with wide latitude. We know of several documented sales at the $40K level in the last few years including 1.8L cars. We just saw a salvage title, non-running, non-original motor basket case go for over $6K...it was hardly 'fair' condition.

And +10% for A/C? That's a negative value for 914s.
+Quote Post
iwanta914-6
post Apr 13 2017, 02:00 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 10,510

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Apr 13 2017, 02:48 PM) *

I would take that Hagerty guide with a grain of salt and only the roughest of guides, with wide latitude. We know of several documented sales at the $40K level in the last few years including 1.8L cars. We just saw a salvage title, non-running, non-original motor basket case go for over $6K...it was hardly 'fair' condition.

And +10% for A/C? That's a negative value for 914s.

I was unaware of any documented sales for a 1.8L in the $40K range. Obviously any price guide needs to be taken with a grain of salt, it all comes down to condition and finding the right buyer.

And wasn't that salvage car a documented LE? Any "standard" 914 in that shape would have been considered a parts car. Still dumbfounded regarding that whole deal though...

And yes, A/C is a negative for the 914 in most cases. Note how it states "factory" A/C...
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Apr 14 2017, 05:42 AM
Post #7

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871
Region Association: South East States

Hagerty's is for insurance....certainly not a snapshot of actual trending values.

Per Hagerty: "The Hagerty Vehicle Rating measures a vehicle’s performance relative to the rest of the market by examining insurance policies and quotes, Hagerty Price Guide value changes, and sales activity in both the private and auction markets"

If this car is truly a 70K miles, no rust example then $15K is a very good price.

+Quote Post
sixaddict
post Apr 14 2017, 07:16 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 9,961

I know it is not exactly close but if you get with Craig at Camp 914 in Portland he could help establish value as well as help sell .....just suggestion. If nothing els he might give you local resource to do ppi.
You are off the beaten trail so getting into civilization could help (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
6freak
post Apr 14 2017, 08:13 AM
Post #9

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829

QUOTE(sixaddict @ Apr 14 2017, 06:16 AM) *

I know it is not exactly close but if you get with Craig at Camp 914 in Portland he could help establish value as well as help sell .....just suggestion. If nothing els he might give you local resource to do ppi.
You are off the beaten trail so getting into civilization could help (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
+Quote Post
914z
post Apr 16 2017, 11:56 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 2,737

QUOTE(sixaddict @ Apr 14 2017, 05:16 AM) *

Also check in with Brad at 914ltd he is closer to you
Both should be willing to help!
GLWTS sounds interesting :-)
+Quote Post
Jbuggyus
post Apr 16 2017, 10:03 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 20,946

Value is what someone is willing to pay. He has had it advertised for 2 months and no bites. That would tell me its priced to high. I just purchased my 1974 1.8 no rust , older resto, fresh motor and trans for 9600.00. JUST MY 2 CENTS. By the way i sold my 911 and purchased the 914 and have never had so much fun! These are AWESOME cars! And priced way below what they should be.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Apr 17 2017, 06:09 AM
Post #12

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106

QUOTE(914z @ Apr 16 2017, 01:56 PM) *

ah, last time I checked IDAHO is closer to Craig in Portland Or, than Illinois ! - Idaho, not Iowa lol!

I pictures are the key, but you are not out of line in your price, but as stated, its worth what someone will pay- but I think you will probably get somewhere in the $12-15,000 range for a truly rust free original excellent condition car- Excellent means there is no work that needs to be done, no rust , no dings, no pealing or cracking of paint, no cracked dash or seats. If any of that exists then we are dropping to Good , - Color matters- yours isa desirable color for sure and it really looks nice, so welcome to the world and good luck with the sale!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
Laurent Z
post Apr 17 2017, 09:35 AM
Post #13

I'm new here ...

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Apr 17 2017, 05:09 AM) *

QUOTE(914z @ Apr 16 2017, 01:56 PM) *

ah, last time I checked IDAHO is closer to Craig in Portland Or, than Illinois ! - Idaho, not Iowa lol!

I pictures are the key, but you are not out of line in your price, but as stated, its worth what someone will pay- but I think you will probably get somewhere in the $12-15,000 range for a truly rust free original excellent condition car- Excellent means there is no work that needs to be done, no rust , no dings, no pealing or cracking of paint, no cracked dash or seats. If any of that exists then we are dropping to Good , - Color matters- yours isa desirable color for sure and it really looks nice, so welcome to the world and good luck with the sale!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

Thank you
Here are the pics that i took yesterday.

Pics of the 1974 1.8 L

i hope you can get to them. I am not a computer savvy.
The negative points that i showed in the pics are
- left rear cracked tail light.....i have a replacement for it
- 1 scratch on the lower passenger door 2 inches long not deep
- driver seat at the seam....its getting old and started to tear
- on the opposite side of the battery there is a hole in that very thin piece of metal where the vw sticker is.....i believe it is due to the glue chemical they used and with time it did eat that metal....but it is a guess....i am not a chemical engineer.
- 2 bubble paint 1 close to the left headlight and 1 on the bottom right front panel close to the door. Both are 1/2 a penny size diameter.

The under carriage is dirty but not rust and if only surface rust which is normal for that age. Nothing is going thru the metal.
It is a solid and beautiful car, and i am sad after driving it yesterday to let it go but right now i have no choice.

I purchase that baby in August of 2012 from the son of the original owner. The dad had dementia and they wanted to sell the car. My first question was ": why do you sell that car, it is your dad baby ? the answer was, yes it was and he took care of it more than he took care of us (a son and daughter ) and we did not like that car."
He bought it in New Hampshire in 1974 and it was its daily driver. They moved in the 90's in Colorado and then started not to drive it so often. The last oil change bill i have in the paperwork is from 2001 with 68000 miles. Then his health got worst and did not drive the car until it sold to me. As i know the only restoration done to this car is a "respray" well done in the late 80's or early 90's.

I am trying to be very forward with the shape of this car, i don t want to waste anybody's time and neither mine.
I understand that the other person got a "deal" for his 914 at $9600 and understand as well that any goods has the value of the day of sale.....if it is the case that you all think this is not worth the price asking, i will definitely keep it.

Thanks all for yourl input.
Cheers
Laurent
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Apr 17 2017, 10:57 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,474
Region Association: Southern California

That is clean and with the repaint for many years, that is still look good and sure it is repainted well.

+Quote Post
yellowporky
post Apr 17 2017, 02:43 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 10,948
Region Association: Northern California

This is not always the best place to get advice on value as many of the members have been around 914's forever and have a dificult time getting their head around the fact that if the car is ckean it will bring good money as so many have rusted away. Any car that has never had the cancer is better than one that has had thousands spent on new sheet metal to repair it. You need more exposure like ebay, pelican parts or some other site .where people who are not necessarily 914 enthusiasts are. The guy who bought a 914-6 from the old widow for $500 because she had no clue what was does not tank the 914-6 market right? Why would anyone think you should give any credence to an anomaly like that when valuing your car.
Patience is the key. If the car is as nice as desribed hold out for the right buyer and if you are in a hurry you will need to price it to move
Good luck
Chris
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Apr 17 2017, 04:28 PM
Post #16

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

I think you have a nice decent car there. I also think your pricing is pretty close to being in the ballpark. Be patient and it will sell. Oh, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Jonathan Livesay
post Apr 17 2017, 04:48 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 11,461

With the rust through in the drivers side inner wheel well (the picture with the Vehicle Emission sticker) and the history of where the car has lived I'd be kind of surprised if it didn't have more rust than you think. For that money, which the car may very well be worth, a potential buyer is going to want to see clear pics of the hell hole and under the rocker panels. Very nice looking car, though. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Laurent Z
post Apr 18 2017, 05:27 PM
Post #18

I'm new here ...

QUOTE(Jonathan Livesay @ Apr 17 2017, 03:48 PM) *

With the rust through in the drivers side inner wheel well (the picture with the Vehicle Emission sticker) and the history of where the car has lived I'd be kind of surprised if it didn't have more rust than you think. For that money, which the car may very well be worth, a potential buyer is going to want to see clear pics of the hell hole and under the rocker panels. Very nice looking car, though. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I will take pics as suggested from you under the rocker panels this weekend. I will remove the battery and take pics there as well. Thanks for the advice.
cheers
+Quote Post
Upstate101
post Apr 18 2017, 09:22 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 20,430

My 2 cents - clean it up, take a lot of pics (under car included), and put it on Bring a Trailer auction. Clean, original 914s have been selling well there lately. It will broaden your audience considerably, and if nothing else, you'll get a lot of good feedback about your car.
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Apr 19 2017, 12:36 PM
Post #20

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871

QUOTE(Upstate101 @ Apr 18 2017, 11:22 PM) *

My 2 cents - clean it up, take a lot of pics (under car included), and put it on Bring a Trailer auction. Clean, original 914s have been selling well there lately. It will broaden your audience considerably, and if nothing else, you'll get a lot of good feedback about your car.

I agree. If I were selling a decent running car like yours then BAT is the right venue.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:42 AM