Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 Umbrella Covers, New softer material
IronHillRestorations
post Apr 21 2017, 11:32 AM
Post #1

I. I. R. C.

Group: Members
Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

I've just found some new softer material for my 914 Umbrella Covers. Color selection is limited, and for now I'll only have three of each of the new fabrics; tan, light caramel, and I'm not 100% sure about the third color.

This material is very similar to the Haartz convertible top fabric. I will have it in hand in two weeks, and will have 3 covers of each fabric. I'll post pictures of the three different colors when I get it in.

The cost will be $10 more than the current heavy duty tarpaulin material.

I'll keep the "world" updated.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 21 2017, 11:58 AM
Post #2

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

Hey Perry,

I don't know what your new material is like on the underside, but it would be best if the material has a flannel underside to protect the paint & brightwork from scratching, while the exterior still be waterproof from at least light weather.

Back in the day Covercraft or one of the cover makers used to sell an exterior grade all cotton or cotton/poly with flannel underside 914 custom/semi full cover, which IIRC was ScotchGarded for weatherproofing, but I don't know if they still offer that one, nor if the fabric is around. I still have the now torn one of mine.

I suppose if you found a cotton or cotton/poly flannel material, that you could Scotchgard the covers as a completed unit post-assembly/sewing on the outside.

This is not meant to sidetrack you, being what sounds like far along on this new fabric, but just as food for thought in the future.

And another suggestion for this run too, you might look at something to protect the hooks at the securing straps from scratching at the wheel wells too. Perhaps lining the inside surface of the hooks with some soft felt or flannel material would help, but that may necessitate using a slightly larger hook.

I know that after seeing someone in SoCal who had an original fabric umbrella cover of yours, the cover & hook scratching was a concern of mine on my 914 (post resto of course).

The Umbrella cover is a great idea, when you don't want to put on an entire cover BTW - Good on Ya'! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Thanx for making these for the group & Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
eyecolor
post Jul 10 2018, 01:48 PM
Post #3

Eyecolor

Member No.: 9,425

QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Apr 21 2017, 10:32 AM) *

I've just found some new softer material for my 914 Umbrella Covers. Color selection is limited, and for now I'll only have three of each of the new fabrics; tan, light caramel, and I'm not 100% sure about the third color.

This material is very similar to the Haartz convertible top fabric. I will have it in hand in two weeks, and will have 3 covers of each fabric. I'll post pictures of the three different colors when I get it in.

The cost will be $10 more than the current heavy duty tarpaulin material.

I'll keep the "world" updated.

Hi Perry

I'll take one in any color
Let me know how to pay
George O.
Wilmington,DE
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Jul 10 2018, 04:42 PM
Post #4

I. I. R. C.

Hey George, I'm out of stock right now, but I'll check on fabric and get some in the works. Stay tuned... I'll follow up tomorrow or Thurs
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Jul 13 2018, 08:02 PM
Post #5

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 21 2017, 11:58 AM) *

Hey Perry,

I don't know what your new material is like on the underside, but it would be best if the material has a flannel underside to protect the paint & brightwork from scratching, while the exterior still be waterproof from at least light weather.

Back in the day Covercraft or one of the cover makers used to sell an exterior grade all cotton or cotton/poly with flannel underside 914 custom/semi full cover, which IIRC was ScotchGarded for weatherproofing, but I don't know if they still offer that one, nor if the fabric is around. I still have the now torn one of mine.

I suppose if you found a cotton or cotton/poly flannel material, that you could Scotchgard the covers as a completed unit post-assembly/sewing on the outside.

This is not meant to sidetrack you, being what sounds like far along on this new fabric, but just as food for thought in the future.

And another suggestion for this run too, you might look at something to protect the hooks at the securing straps from scratching at the wheel wells too. Perhaps lining the inside surface of the hooks with some soft felt or flannel material would help, but that may necessitate using a slightly larger hook.

I know that after seeing someone in SoCal who had an original fabric umbrella cover of yours, the cover & hook scratching was a concern of mine on my 914 (post resto of course).

The Umbrella cover is a great idea, when you don't want to put on an entire cover BTW - Good on Ya'! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Thanx for making these for the group & Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////

And your 914 is where...........????????????????????????
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
steuspeed
post Jul 13 2018, 08:48 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 13,308
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 21 2017, 10:58 AM) *

Hey Perry,

///////

The cords are long enough I hook them on the wheels.
+Quote Post
orthobiz
post Jul 14 2018, 12:53 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 7,438
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Hooks and bungee are OK but it would be nice if the two front bungees were of a different color than the rear. Make it much quicker to put it on!

Paul
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Oct 19 2018, 07:43 AM
Post #8

I. I. R. C.

Special Deal! I got a better deal on the saddle brown pinpoint material. This is the polyester coated with fabric backing.

Special price is $125 if you pre-pay with a check or $130 if using PayPal This price includes USPS to US addresses (international shipping is extra). This is $20 off the regular price if you pre-pay or $15 off for PP.

Mailing address is:
Iron Hill Restorations
715 Glenwood Trail
Parsons, TN 38363

PP email is:
perry.kiehl@hotmail.com

Quanity is limited. I have 8 in stock right now, and at least 6 more in the works.

Pictures coming soon!
+Quote Post
ValcoOscar
post Oct 19 2018, 08:04 AM
Post #9

Garage Life

Member No.: 16,669
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Oct 19 2018, 06:43 AM) *

Special Deal! I got a better deal on the saddle brown pinpoint material. This is the polyester coated with fabric backing.

Special price is $125 if you pre-pay with a check or $130 if using PayPal This price includes USPS to US addresses (international shipping is extra). This is $20 off the regular price if you pre-pay or $15 off for PP.

Mailing address is:
Iron Hill Restorations
715 Glenwood Trail
Parsons, TN 38363

PP email is:
perry.kiehl@hotmail.com

Quanity is limited. I have 8 in stock right now, and at least 6 more in the works.

Pictures coming soon!

Oscar

PayPal payment for TWO sent!!!
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Oct 19 2018, 12:49 PM
Post #10

I. I. R. C.

QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Oct 19 2018, 06:04 AM) *

QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Oct 19 2018, 06:43 AM) *

Mailing address is:
Iron Hill Restorations
715 Glenwood Trail
Parsons, TN 38363

PP email is:
perry.kiehl@hotmail.com

Pictures coming soon!

Oscar

PayPal payment for TWO sent!!!

Thanks Oscar!

5 remaining
+Quote Post
snakemain
post Oct 19 2018, 04:48 PM
Post #11

Ronin Member

Member No.: 11,232

PayPal sent! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Nov 1 2018, 12:46 PM
Post #12

I. I. R. C.

Pictures of the saddle brown (tan) pinpoint. The $125 price is what I sold them for about 10 years ago!

Jul 27, 19 edit: Price is $140 I didn't get as good of deal on the next order of material

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Nov 1 2018, 12:59 PM
Post #13

I. I. R. C.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
orthobiz
post Nov 13 2018, 06:03 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 7,438
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Just got mine, thanks, Perry. It looks great. Now I have two (I needed a backup).

Paul
+Quote Post
hencar
post Nov 30 2018, 01:49 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 6,097

Perry

A week ago I sent you a PM for two of your umbrella's. If you have any left to sell pm me with how to pay and the total for two.

TIA

Henry
+Quote Post
Beeliner
post Jul 27 2019, 06:21 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 17,725
Region Association: North East States

Thanks Perry,
I am very happy with the umbrella...

BeelinerAttached Image
+Quote Post
eyecolor
post Aug 2 2019, 10:46 AM
Post #17

Eyecolor

Member No.: 9,425

Perry

I am interested in one.

Let me know colors available and how to pay

Thanks

George Ozer
Wilmington,DE 19809

respond to eyecolor@aol.com if possible
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:26 AM