Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

29 Pages V « < 10 11 12 13 14 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Resto-Thread: '73 Marathon Blue 2.0
914_7T3
post Apr 25 2018, 10:09 PM
Post #221

Please forgive me, I'm new to all of this!

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,991
Region Association: Southern California

Appreciate the tips & suggestions along with all of the positive feedback and encouragement from the 914 World community.

I realize that there is a lot to be done and will have less than a 4 month time frame to complete the project in order to have the car ready for the Werks Reunion in late August. Everything has taken longer than it should and that's just how it goes.

Truth is the learning curve is quite steep in under taking this project, however things are going well. I will be reaching out for assistance to the local World members once I get the car back in my possession.

The plan is to drop the suspension and mount up a fully restored set up with the help of some good friends that have offered their time and expertise. Then onto reassembly of interior, dash, gauges, windshield and exterior trim. Up next will be the wiring issue of the headlight motors and then the drive train will be reinstalled.

Luckily, aside from a clean set of bumper tops, I've got everything required to get this project done.

Keep posted for updates.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914_7T3
post May 12 2018, 12:09 PM
Post #222

Long Block is fially back together. Top end will be completed next week. Here are some photos recapping the NOS parts that have been included in the rebuild. Crank has also been micropolished.

Attached ImageAttached Image

Apparently, I am not the only Porsche at the VW Shop!

+Quote Post
bbrock
post May 12 2018, 12:18 PM
Post #223

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

That looks sweet. Was there a reason you opted for the US spec pistons? Just curious.
+Quote Post
914_7T3
post May 12 2018, 01:34 PM
Post #224

QUOTE(bbrock @ May 12 2018, 11:18 AM) *

That looks sweet. Was there a reason you opted for the US spec pistons? Just curious.

Yes, wanted to stay bone stock except bump up to 96mm to a 2056. However, I could only find Japanese NPR P&Cs. The quality is good, but not as good as German. Then found out that the 96mms will make the motor run a bit hotter and that's a no no here in SoCal when you are pulling through the hills in 90 degree plus temperatures.

Decided to go back to NOS German 94mm. I am more than fine with the performance as is. Its going to be my little canyon carver for solo drives, cars & coffes and club meet-ups.

My 986 is fine when I want a bit more power and end up driving with quicker crowd.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
bbrock
post May 12 2018, 07:34 PM
Post #225

914 Guru

QUOTE(914 7T3 @ May 12 2018, 01:34 PM) *

Yes, wanted to stay bone stock except bump up to 96mm to a 2056. However, I could only find Japanese NPR P&Cs. The quality is good, but not as good as German. Then found out that the 96mms will make the motor run a bit hotter and that's a no no here in SoCal when you are pulling through the hills in 90 degree plus temperatures.

Decided to go back to NOS German 94mm. I am more than fine with the performance as is. Its gpoing to be my little canyon carver for solo drives, cars & coffes and bclub meet-ups.

My 986 is fine when I want a bit more power and end up driving with quicker crowd.

I like it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif) I bought my OEM Mahle jugs back when they were still readily available for not much $. I opted for the euro flat tops but have yet to finish the engine. I'm in the same boat as you with never feeling like I needed more HP with stock 2.0 and often wonder if I wouldn't have been happier sticking with the lower compression pistons. For some reason, it made me happy to see them in your build. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
914_7T3
post May 12 2018, 07:55 PM
Post #226

QUOTE(bbrock @ May 12 2018, 06:34 PM) *

Decided to go back to NOS German 94mm. I am more than fine with the performance as is. Its gpoing to be my little canyon carver for solo drives, cars & coffes and bclub meet-ups.

I like it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif) I bought my OEM Mahle jugs back when they were still readily available for not much $. I opted for the euro flat tops but have yet to finish the engine. I'm in the same boat as you with never feeling like I needed more HP with stock 2.0 and often wonder if I wouldn't have been happier sticking with the lower compression pistons. For some reason, it made me happy to see them in your build. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I’m glad and thanks for your continued support. FYI, my mechanic has a duplicate set that I just listed in the parts forum at a Sweet price if you are interested. Keep chipping away on your build and you’ll get there!
+Quote Post
bbrock
post May 12 2018, 11:02 PM
Post #227

914 Guru

QUOTE(914 7T3 @ May 12 2018, 07:55 PM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ May 12 2018, 06:34 PM) *

I’m glad and thanks for your continued support. FYI, my mechanic has a duplicate set that I just listed in the parts forum at a Sweet price if you are interested. Keep chipping away on your build and you’ll get there!

I actually still have the originals that came out and they look to be in great shape. I'll stick with the flat tops on this build though. I'm all in with euro specing this car.
+Quote Post
914_7T3
post May 31 2018, 11:13 PM
Post #228

Finally had the car picked up today from the body shop and transported over to ValcoOscar's to do a full suspension swap next weekend. Will be working with Larmo63 and will post separately for some additional assistance. Should be a great day.

Here are some pics of where we are at today. Now the real work gets underway!

Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
burton73
post Jun 1 2018, 02:43 PM
Post #229

burton73

Member No.: 7,414

That is a sweet ride. Bravo

It did not look bad when you got it but wow. A time capsule of a Porsche dealer’s showroom back in the day.

Bob b

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
CHIZ 914
post Jun 1 2018, 03:03 PM
Post #230

Member No.: 22,118
Region Association: None

Nice looking car! Still working on mine and looks to be close to the same color!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
914-300Hemi
post Jun 1 2018, 05:53 PM
Post #231

Member No.: 6,794

QUOTE(914 7T3 @ May 31 2018, 10:13 PM) *

Finally had the car picked up today from the body shop and transported over to ValcoOscar's to do a full suspension swap next weekend. Will be working with Larmo63 and will post separately for some additional assistance. Should be a great day.

Attached Image Attached Image

Jeff,
Let me know if you need an extra pair of hands or a side line spectator with unwanted commentary. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)
+Quote Post
saigon71
post Jun 1 2018, 06:22 PM
Post #232

Member No.: 10,428
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Your car looks awesome. Nice work! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
914_7T3
post Jun 1 2018, 06:48 PM
Post #233

QUOTE(CHIZ 914 @ Jun 1 2018, 02:03 PM) *

Nice looking car! Still working on mine and looks to be close to the same color!

Beauty!!!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
+Quote Post
914_7T3
post Jun 1 2018, 06:53 PM
Post #234

QUOTE(914-300Hemi @ Jun 1 2018, 04:53 PM) *

QUOTE(914 7T3 @ May 31 2018, 10:13 PM) *

Jeff,
Let me know if you need an extra pair of hands or a side line spectator with unwanted commentary. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)

For sure, that is much appreciated. We will have a Marathon Blue reunion with Oscar. Commentary is welcome. We will get underway at 8:00am on June 9th. I will DM you the particulars.

+Quote Post
914_7T3
post Jun 1 2018, 06:55 PM
Post #235

QUOTE(burton73 @ Jun 1 2018, 01:43 PM) *

That is a sweet ride. Bravo

It did not look bad when you got it but wow. A time capsule of a Porsche dealer’s showroom back in the day.

Bob b

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

It will be when its done. Truthfully, I couldn't sleep last night thinking about everything that needs to get done. Still shooting for Werks Reunion in late August!

+Quote Post
arne
post Jun 2 2018, 06:25 PM
Post #236

Serial Rescuer of old vehicles...

Member No.: 20,799
Region Association: None

QUOTE(914 7T3 @ Jun 1 2018, 05:55 PM) *
Still shooting for Werks Reunion in late August!

That should be no problem. I could do it... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Does look exquisite. Excellent so far.
+Quote Post
914_7T3
post Jun 2 2018, 06:50 PM
Post #237

QUOTE(arne @ Jun 2 2018, 05:25 PM) *

QUOTE(914 7T3 @ Jun 1 2018, 05:55 PM) *
Still shooting for Werks Reunion in late August!

That should be no problem. I could do it... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Does look exquisite. Excellent so far.

Thanks Arne, I bet you could!

Let me know if you want to fly in for a week to help out. We are about 4 months behind the initial time line.

We miss having you on the forum on a regular basis. Hope the FJ is coming along quicker than this project.

+Quote Post
914_7T3
post Jun 10 2018, 02:18 AM
Post #238

Here is an update from Suspension Swap Saturday. The link to the full thread is provided below:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...329988&st=0

We had a great day at ValcoOscar's with the OC crew. Before posting more pics from today, just wanted to take the time to thank and show appreciation to the following people:

bdstone 914 for the many hours spent prepping the parts and making sure we had everything required down to the last nut and bolt. He took charge of the project with Larmo63 and was able to see it through right to the finish well into the night. Couldn''t even imagine taking this on without your knowledge and expertise. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

A special thanks to Larmo63 for getting on board early and jumping right into it with the guys. Your hands on approach is exactly what was needed to get things going and moving along to get this project completed in a single day. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

ValcoOscar for your continued support and hosting the day along with the use of your facilities. We are now one more Step Forward with this build. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif)

ED Turbo, sb914 & BoomingBeetle for coming out and wrenching on the car. Couldn't have done it without you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

Also Kahluver, Jerry J Joesph, Tdskip & abes914 for coming to check us out and lend your support (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Now for the pics:

Attached Image

+Quote Post
billh1963
post Jun 10 2018, 05:11 AM
Post #239

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871
Region Association: South East States

Those pictures are awesome!

The car looks like new. But, even more importantly, it shows the comradery that makes 914 ownership so rewarding.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jun 10 2018, 06:46 AM
Post #240

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Great job guys. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

29 Pages V « < 10 11 12 13 14 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:23 AM