Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ford Solenoid Hot Start installation instructions, Mark Henry's method
Mark Henry
post Jan 3 2018, 03:34 PM
Post #61

that's what I do!

Group: Members
Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Just food for thought, or should I say math (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Vdrop = IR, basic voltage drop law.

12v at 8 amps on a 12 foot run with 22awg wire will see a voltage drop of 25.83%.
That 12v is down to 8.9v, border line for kicking the Bosch solenoid.
That's not counting the resistance of the connectors, fuse box, switch, age, heat, etc.

I don't know the actual length of the run or if that's the correct size wire, etc., etc.....but its a good enough example to show that a DC circuit has substantial losses even when new.

note same calculation with 20awg wire loss is 16.25%
I'd say obviously heat is a major contributor as this is more than often a "hot start issue".
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
HalfMoon
post Jan 3 2018, 03:40 PM
Post #62

Member No.: 15,144
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 3 2018, 04:34 PM) *

Just food for thought, or should I say math (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Vdrop = IR
12v at 8 amps on a 12 foot run with 22awg wire will see a voltage drop of 25.83%.
That 12v is down to 8.9v, border line for kicking the Bosch solenoid.
That's not counting the resistance of the connectors, fuse box, switch, age, heat, etc.

I don't know the actual length of the run or if that's the correct size wire, etc., etc.....but its a good enough example to show that a DC circuit has substantial losses even when new.

All I know is this-
I'm v-8 converted and I use a hi torque starter.
My battery is mounted in the forward trunk with quite a long cable shot.
During summer I often would get the dreaded hot start no start problem.
After this mod, the problem was completely solved and I have never had a hot start no start again.
Whatever the fun arguments for and opposed are, I'm here to say this mod flat out works and I don't give a damn why, lol!
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Jan 18 2018, 01:45 PM
Post #63

Always Wanted A Bigger Go Cart

Member No.: 17,942
Region Association: Southern California

Just an FYI

That I was about to order the Standard SS-588 on Amazon for $34.26 with free ship and then decided to google Standard Ignition SS-588 and a bunch of places came up with lesser prices.

Ordered from Walmart.com with free store pick up $21.40 and $1.66 Tax for a total l $23.06
Good deal and easy pick up. They would also ship to the house for about $5 still less than Amazon. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/white914.jpg)
+Quote Post
HalfMoon
post Jan 25 2018, 05:42 PM
Post #64

So I've run across a (self created) problem and I wonder if Mark might chime in for a solution?

Previously I had wired in a Ford relay on my sbc converted 914 with a standard alternator per Mark's diagram (an-noted below) as I had been experiencing the well known "hot start" problem.
The fix worked great!
Then I decided to add a track "kill switch" mounted where track workers can get to it in an emergency and therein lies my problem.
When I wire it up per the manufacturer's directions (my diagram below), it works great with one exception...my hot start problem has returned.
Anyone got any idea's?

Marks diagram (an-noted) with no kill switch. Hot start problem solved.
Attached Image

My diagram including addition of a kill switch. Hot start problem returns
Attached Image

+Quote Post
StarBear
post Aug 4 2018, 07:51 AM
Post #65

Member No.: 10,753
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 24 2017, 08:54 AM) *

This is real simple to make and crimpers should be a tool in every car guys tool kit, but if if you really think there's a demand for this I could offer a complete plug and play wiring kit for something like $30 shipped USA and Canada.

If I were to offer a kit I'd look into using better strain relief connectors.
You would still have to buy a solenoid and do the mount mod.

Mark - Awesome thread and photos! I'm FINALLY getting around to doing this mod. Have you thought/decided about such a kit? would be interested. Otherwise, would merely wire-brushing the connections/connectors be sufficient for a car that otherwise is running/starting just fine? Thanks.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Aug 4 2018, 10:24 AM
Post #66

that's what I do!

QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Jan 25 2018, 07:42 PM) *

So I've run across a (self created) problem and I wonder if Mark might chime in for a solution?

Previously I had wired in a Ford relay on my sbc converted 914 with a standard alternator per Mark's diagram (an-noted below) as I had been experiencing the well known "hot start" problem.
The fix worked great!
Then I decided to add a track "kill switch" mounted where track workers can get to it in an emergency and therein lies my problem.
When I wire it up per the manufacturer's directions (my diagram below), it works great with one exception...my hot start problem has returned.
Anyone got any idea's?

Attached Image

Attached Image

Right away I can see the battery wired wrong, battery + goes to the starter big post, in your configuration the alternator + wire also goes to the starter big post.

Kill switch shouldn't be wired into the starter, unless it's a battery disconnect, then it should be wired inline on the big battery cable. This needs to have no other wires between the battery + post and the disconnect in. All factory + wires should be after the disconnect out.

Only exception to above is some will run a seperate wire before the disconnect (direct to + post) for the radio clock.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Aug 4 2018, 10:50 AM
Post #67

that's what I do!

This is how my '67 bug is wired.
Also note the metal bracket on the ford solenoid must be grounded.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
North Coast Jim
post Aug 4 2018, 11:06 AM
Post #68

Member No.: 19,450

Mark I had this "start problem" and found your thread on adding the Ford solenoid. Since adding this option this spring car starts on every try. Thanks for help.
+Quote Post
HalfMoon
post Aug 4 2018, 03:10 PM
Post #69

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 4 2018, 12:24 PM) *

The fix worked great!
Anyone got any idea's?

Attached Image

Attached Image

Right away I can see the battery wired wrong, battery + goes to the starter big post, in your configuration the alternator + wire also goes to the starter big post.

Kill switch shouldn't be wired into the starter, unless it's a battery disconnect, then it should be wired inline on the big battery cable. This needs to have no other wires between the battery + post and the disconnect in. All factory + wires should be after the disconnect out.

Only exception to above is some will run a seperate wire before the disconnect (direct to + post) for the radio clock.

Thanks for the reply-
Unfortunately, when I ran it with the Alt wire to the to the starter solenoid the kill switch failed to work and would not cut off the running car as it should. The only way I was able to make it work was to connect the Alt. wire to the switched side of the kill switch but then the hot start problem reappeared (either that or a new problem).
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Aug 5 2018, 08:04 AM
Post #70

that's what I do!

You either still have something wired wrong or you damaged something from incorrect wiring. It doesn't matter if the alternator + wire goes to the big starter post or switched side on the disconnect. With the disconnect you don't want it to go direct to the battery as it defeats the purpose of the kill switch.

The disconnect, are you using one of the cheap plastic body china switches?
I only use the heavy duty metal body Moroso disconnect.
+Quote Post
HalfMoon
post Aug 5 2018, 08:14 AM
Post #71

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 5 2018, 10:04 AM) *

You either still have something wired wrong or you damaged something from incorrect wiring. It doesn't matter if the alternator + wire goes to the big starter post or switched side on the disconnect. With the disconnect you don't want it to go direct to the battery as it defeats the purpose of the kill switch.

The disconnect, are you using one of the cheap plastic body china switches?
I only use the heavy duty metal body Moroso disconnect.

Heavy duty Moroso.
+Quote Post
StarBear
post Aug 12 2018, 09:43 AM
Post #72

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 24 2017, 08:54 AM) *

This is real simple to make and crimpers should be a tool in every car guys tool kit, but if if you really think there's a demand for this I could offer a complete plug and play wiring kit for something like $30 shipped USA and Canada.

If I were to offer a kit I'd look into using better strain relief connectors.
You would still have to buy a solenoid and do the mount mod.

Mark; did/do you ever offer that kit? Not seen it, or is it available through some other source? Thanks!
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Aug 12 2018, 12:08 PM
Post #73

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Aug 4 2018, 05:10 PM) *

The fix worked great!
Anyone got any idea's?

Attached Image

Attached Image

Thanks for the reply-
Unfortunately, when I ran it with the Alt wire to the to the starter solenoid the kill switch failed to work and would not cut off the running car as it should. The only way I was able to make it work was to connect the Alt. wire to the switched side of the kill switch but then the hot start problem reappeared (either that or a new problem).

Not sure how the internals of the kill switch work but the battery should never be removed from the alternator when the engine is running. Modern cars use high power zener diodes as rectifiers in the alternator to snub the inductive kick if the battery is removed from the alternator when running. Almost any electronics in the vehicle could be damaged by the inductive kick.

Automotive test specification ISO 7637-2 pulse 5 is a killer pulse. This pulse is 100V for about 1/2 a second and simulates disconnecting the battery from the alternator.

If you're looking to protect the car from being stolen, you might want to try putting a switch in series with the spark unit, ECU, or the fuel pump. On my 930, I have a tiny toggle switch in series with the fuel pump relay. You can push the car or crank it all day and it won't start.
+Quote Post
HalfMoon
post Aug 12 2018, 10:06 PM
Post #74

QUOTE(Spoke @ Aug 12 2018, 02:08 PM) *

QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Aug 4 2018, 05:10 PM) *

The fix worked great!
Anyone got any idea's?

Attached Image

Attached Image

Thanks for the reply-

Not sure how the internals of the kill switch work but the battery should never be removed from the alternator when the engine is running. Modern cars use high power zener diodes as rectifiers in the alternator to snub the inductive kick if the battery is removed from the alternator when running. Almost any electronics in the vehicle could be damaged by the inductive kick.

Automotive test specification ISO 7637-2 pulse 5 is a killer pulse. This pulse is 100V for about 1/2 a second and simulates disconnecting the battery from the alternator.

If you're looking to protect the car from being stolen, you might want to try putting a switch in series with the spark unit, ECU, or the fuel pump. On my 930, I have a tiny toggle switch in series with the fuel pump relay. You can push the car or crank it all day and it won't start.

It's a track side kill switch so corner workers can save my life in the event I'm unconscious (a standard op for cars used at the track-mine happens to also be streeted).
I have no ECU, but I like the idea of taking power from my dizzy to effectively kill the cars ability to continue to run in the event I can not turn off the key switch. That said, even if my alt was removed from the kill switch functionality, since it would then be relayed from the solenoid on the starter (in Marks diagram) would it not have the same effect as removing power from the alt while the car is running when the car is turned off with the key? Or does the relay prevent a spike from going back to the system?
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Aug 13 2018, 05:54 AM
Post #75

that's what I do!

I wouldn't worry about the engine running after a crash, usually the engine will stall as the car was in gear, the fuel pump running is the bigger issue.
You can get a early 80's rabbit CIS fuel pump relay that runs off the tach signal, but it won't work off of an MSD. You could add a Ashlock Tachadapt to work the rabbit relay with an MSD.
Or you could run a simple DTDP relay off of the oil pressure switch.

If you need the part number of the rabbit relay I can find it for you.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post May 12 2019, 08:44 PM
Post #76

that's what I do!

The Ford solenoid just fixed the no start issue in my sons '82 Audi coupe with a new looking Bosch starter.
On FB early Audi group I was told to replace the starter, ignition switch and/or the wiring from the ignition switch, thru the fuse box and the relay box to the starter. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
Sound familiar? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

30 minutes and $20 later... problem solved. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
brcacti
post Oct 25 2019, 01:30 PM
Post #77

1974 914 1.8

Member No.: 23,302
Region Association: Southwest Region

Mark Henry, I'll come up to Canada and pay you to do it..................hehehe (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) JUST kidding, looooong drive. Thanks to ALL who gave such valuable information.
+Quote Post
StarBear
post Oct 25 2019, 06:46 PM
Post #78

Ditto to several above and kudos to MH. Did mine this Spring - started every time this past summer. Easy and cheap; used same wires and (cleaned) connectors, so fast, too.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Oct 26 2019, 08:00 AM
Post #79

that's what I do!

QUOTE(brcacti @ Oct 25 2019, 03:30 PM) *

Mark Henry, I'll come up to Canada and pay you to do it..................hehehe (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) JUST kidding, looooong drive. Thanks to ALL who gave such valuable information.

I accept beer money (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
oakdalecurtis
post Nov 18 2019, 04:19 PM
Post #80

Oakdalecurtis

Member No.: 18,802
Region Association: Central California

i checked with Mark on the actual relay he used, I wanted to buy one new, not a used wrecking yard one. Mark informed me that it is an 12 v, SW-3, B6AZ-11450-A, ordered one on Amazon for $20. The tab it came with allowed me to attach it directly to the starter bolt as recommended with no bending required. Here's a few pics of the finished install. My car starts so fast now it's scary!
Thanks Mark!

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post

5 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 05:25 PM