Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Interior Door Trim Replacement, Not original but looks good
Spoke
post May 8 2005, 07:32 PM
Post #1

Jerry

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

When I purchased my 914, the interior door panel was in excellent shape but the top upholstery trim was missing as was the metal hanger. The PO had removed the top upholstery trim and original metal hanger. 2 extra screws were used to secure the panel to the door. At the window, the excess panel material was tucked under the window wiper, and for the wing window, the material was cut off even with the window and cemented in place. I didn't like the door panel and wanted the original top upholstery trim back.

Short of buying new door panels, I decided to fabricate top caps and figure out a new attachement scheme. I could make the top cap out of wood, and attach to a new metal hanger. The door is fairly straight and a properly contoured piece of wood should fit nicely.

At Home Depot, I found a 3 foot section of metal bracing that was about 1 1/4 inches wide, just the right size. The door has 3 metal tabs for the hanger to hang on. I marked the hanger where the tabs were and cut slots with a dremel cut-off wheel. Placing the bracing in a vice, I pounded out the hangers so they would accept the tabs on the door.

The bracing sits very nicely on the door. 1/8 inch holes are drilled in the bracing to attach to the door panel.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 10:06 PM