Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> D-Jet question, Throttle shaft concern and manifold id
CatDaddy60
post Apr 29 2017, 01:02 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,451
Region Association: Southwest Region

Calling the DJet Ninjas. I picked up this intake manifold a couple of months ago and had some questions first how do you tell the difference between a 1.7 and a 1.8 liter manifold. The second question is on the throttle shaft there is a bit of play, enough that I'm sure this would cause an air/vacuum leak. Should I be concerned about it or is this a non issue. Thanks for your time.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
clapeza
post Apr 29 2017, 02:30 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 12,677
Region Association: South East States

That's for a 1.7. It has the mounting arm to hold the AAR (Aux Air Regulator) on the front side, near the CSV (Cold Start Valve).

Pic found online:
Attached Image
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Apr 29 2017, 09:23 PM
Post #3

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

any vacuum leak is bad for any of these FI systems.
it can be fixed by drilling out the holes and fitting them with new bronze bushings reamed out to fit the existing shaft...

rich
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Apr 29 2017, 11:38 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104
Region Association: None

I'm not sure that I agree with Rich on on the leaky shaft for the throttle body. Unless the shaft is so worn that it cannot open and close smoothly and the throttle plate is rubbing in the bore. Or you can't adjust the car to idle properly. The throttle plate has a hole in it (controlled leak). There is an adjustable idle screw on the side of the throttle body (adjustable leak to set idle speed). All of this is only important when the car is at idle and the throttle plate is closed. As soon as you open the throttle when your driving air will be flowing over the throttle plate.
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Apr 30 2017, 06:18 AM
Post #5

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I just went through this a few weeks ago. There was play in the throttle shaft so it would move laterally ever so slightly (but noticeably) in the body. The net effect is that sometimes the plate wouldn't close properly and the TPS would not "engage" the idle circuit. I'd get inconsistent idle mixtures. It was a minor issue, but sometimes those can drive you crazy. When it wasn't minor is when it got worse and the plate started sticking way open - usually when I started the car in the morning to go to work (I'm sure my neighbors appreciated it jumping to 3000 rpm immediately at 6:30 am).

I refurbed mine following the basics in this thread: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=206017
+Quote Post
CatDaddy60
post Apr 30 2017, 12:18 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 15,451
Region Association: Southwest Region

Thank you guys for your assistance I'm looking at getting this car back to driving and need to make sure the components I'm putting together are functioning right. I'm using Anders site for reference s but it never said anything about shaft play.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Apr 30 2017, 12:28 PM
Post #7

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

If it moves and is out of spec, you will not have consistent performance.
ANY uncontrolled vacuum leak in ANY efi system needs to be fixed if you want any chance of a decent tune. A loose throttle body shaft is a very common thing to fix in older cars and bikes.....
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:45 AM