Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Porsche Valve Adjustment, 1974 2.0
NJTom
post May 4 2017, 05:24 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,643
Region Association: None

While the 914 motor is out of the car to repair the rear main leak, I decided to recheck the valve adjustments because there seemed to be at least one making quite a bit of noise. When each cylinder wast brought up to TDC, I found the valve adjustments to be way too tight — all of them. Can’t quite figure that out as I checked, double checked, and triple checked the adjustments when the engine was on the stand. Who knows why that happened, but frankly, that’s not my concern. So I went through the motions of bringing each piston up to TDC and readjusted the valves. During the process, I just happened to pull on another rocker to see if there was any play — and there was — a lot. As a matter of fact, when #1 piston was @ TDC, there were other pistons at such a stage where at least one valve was closed. In measuring the lash of that closed valve, the gap was greater than when @ TDC in most cases. For example, when piston #1 was at TDC, the respective exhaust is @ .008 and the intake .006 — as they should be. However, when piston 1 is @ TDC, cylinder #2’s intake is closed — reading = .06 (as it should be) and Cylinder 4’s exhaust is closed with a reading of .12 — way too much. I checked and rechecked my findings.

Below is a little summary for all cylinders.

When 1=TDC, #2 intake = .06 & #4 exhaust = .12
When 2=TDC, #1 exhaust = .11 & #3 intake = .13
When 3=TDC, #2 exhaust = .12 & #4 intake = .06
When 4=TDC, #1 intake = .13 & #3 exhaust = .11

All valves of all four cylinders are in spec when @ their respective TDC.

I highly doubt this is normal. Logic says none of the gaps shouldn't be any greater than the TDC readings.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 11:01 PM