Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Win Doze Experts, Could use some help here.....
Bleyseng
post May 9 2005, 07:30 PM
Post #1

Aircooled Baby!

Group: Members
Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Got a question...how can I copy the registry from one hard drive and install it on another so I can just copy all my programs/files onto the new hard drive?
And, where the heck is it? in System32?

I am installing a 60 gig hard drive on the laptop replacing a winnie 20 gig one.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Part Pricer
post May 9 2005, 07:39 PM
Post #2

Believe everything I post

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 35

I would just Ghost the drive and copy the image to the new drive.

+Quote Post
bd1308
post May 9 2005, 07:44 PM
Post #3

Sir Post-a-lot

Member No.: 3,501

ditto. do it all the time.
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post May 9 2005, 07:48 PM
Post #4

Aircooled Baby!

oh great, I have to catch a Ghost and drive it where?

I am a Mac person so you are speaking Greek to me.
Please explain in detail so I can get this freakin laptop workin with all my programs installed.
Mucho thanks
+Quote Post
LukeD
post May 9 2005, 07:53 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 3,117
Region Association: None

Copying the registry like that won't work anyway. Many, many DLL's won't get registered and services won't start. It will be fubar on the first re-boot I bet. You are just asking for a major disaster down the road. Seeing it's a laptop it is harder to "Ghost" without a 2.5in drive caddy, you could do it via CD's but that is assuming you have Ghost and a CD burner. The best advice I can give is.....now is a good time for a clean install of all your programs anyway. Every version of Windows needs to be re-loaded every so often. You will see improved performance and the better possibility your laptop won't leave you hanging in the near future. Sounds like a pain but the reward will be far greater if you re-load it fresh. My staff and I maintain 3000+ machines and 50+ servers. I re-load machines on a daily basis. If you have "Ghost" or the like program re-load windows fresh and all of your apps. Snap the image and then migrate all your data. Then when you have problems in the future you can have your laptop up and running fresh in minutes not hours.

My 2 cents (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

Luke D
+Quote Post
LukeD
post May 9 2005, 07:55 PM
Post #6

OK, so I assume you are not trying to move programs from your MAC to your Windows Laptop? Or do you have a MAC laptop and want a bigger hard drive?

+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post May 9 2005, 07:57 PM
Post #7

Aircooled Baby!

Got a 2.5 inch caddy for the ole 20 gig drive. Problem is that I don't have and can't find some of the damn program CD's as we have been remodeling. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/headbang.gif)
Its a Dell latitude 400 laptop that they replaced damn near everything on cuz it sh*t canned about 3 weeks ago. lucky is was still under warrenty.
+Quote Post
LukeD
post May 9 2005, 07:59 PM
Post #8

Never mind, System 32 is Windows.

You will have to load your software all over again. I hope you have a CD burner on your laptop otherwise you will need to take it to someone. Burn all your data (MyDocs, Outlook) whatever you want to save minus the actuall software. Burn to disc, install the new hard drive, install Windows from your restore CD, install software, insert backup disc and put everything back. If you cannot afford to lose your data then I would leave it to a local teenage professional LOL

LukeD
+Quote Post
LukeD
post May 9 2005, 08:01 PM
Post #9

Well, what you want to do is damn near impossible to do typing on this thread. It's pretty complicated. If you can get your hands on Norton CleanSweep then you might be able to do it. Just out of curiousity what software did you lose the CD's for?
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post May 9 2005, 08:02 PM
Post #10

Aircooled Baby!

all the data is on the 20 gig drive and I want to transfer the files and programs to the 60 gig new drive. New clean install on the 60 gig drive by Dell
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post May 9 2005, 08:03 PM
Post #11

Aircooled Baby!

I have Norton Clean Sweep.

Lost the discs for Microsoft Map point for one...
+Quote Post
LukeD
post May 9 2005, 08:09 PM
Post #12

If you have clean sweep as part of the Norton suite then you should have ghost as well. IF you have ghost you want to do a "Disk to Disk Image"

Is that the case?

+Quote Post
anthony
post May 9 2005, 08:10 PM
Post #13

2270 club

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 218

Geoff, do you know anyone local who works in IT? They could probably ghost one drive to another in less than an hour.

Does that caddy you have allow both drives to be installed in the laptop at the same time? If so, that makes it really easy. You would just need a Dos boot disk and the ghost.exe application.

+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post May 9 2005, 08:13 PM
Post #14

Aircooled Baby!

Yes, that sounds like it so I'll look on Clean Sweep
Yes, I know a IT guy but he just flew to NY for the week. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post May 9 2005, 08:13 PM
Post #15

914 Guru

Member No.: 447
Region Association: Southwest Region

Definately use ghost, registry swap will not work. Ghost is by symantec.com, you use to be able to download a free copy some time ago. At any rate, set your 60 gig drive as slave to your 20gig master, use a boot disk and run ghost, disk to disk and it should span out to the full size of your new drive once completed. Then change jumpers on your drives and that should do it, you can remove your old drive or clean it out and use it as a 2nd storage spot.
+Quote Post
Verruckt
post May 9 2005, 08:56 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 2,348

Just "borrow" a ghost floppy... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool.gif) It's not like you install it or anything, it's like borrowing a music cd. Just return it when you are done. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

If'n ya need one, I could email it to you. It's a really simple deal. We use it daily at work to maintain our fleet of NT crap. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post May 9 2005, 08:59 PM
Post #17

rich herzog

Member No.: 513

okay - is there a product that can do this from some company less evil than Symentec?

the laptop (the one with the failing disk drive - yes - it must be an epidemic...) came installed with NAV and some other Norton cr*p and it was harder to get rid of than the last few viruses i've had to deal with!

if i *do* have to use Ghost, can i at least install it WITHOUT LiveUpdate? purging that was the worst of the nightmare because it flat lied to me...

it *does* have a DVD writer and i have less than 9GB of stuff to transfer so in theory - if i can burn a DVD before the friggen drive goes Tango Uniform again - i shoud be okay. can it Ghost to a network drive? i've got 250G free on the fileserver...
+Quote Post
skline
post May 9 2005, 09:00 PM
Post #18

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

Why dont you just ghost it to a server over a network connection, I do it all the time. I am sending you a PM.
+Quote Post
Verruckt
post May 9 2005, 09:25 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 2,348

Ghost is on a floppy disk, you just boot to it and tell it to copy an image to a destination disk. The source can be from anywhere, though copying from one disk to another is one of the options and easy as hell. Ghost is actually the only Norton product that I like, and works VERY well.
+Quote Post
Gint
post May 9 2005, 09:38 PM
Post #20

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ May 9 2005, 08:59 PM)
okay - is there a product that can do this from some company less evil than Symentec?

the laptop (the one with the failing disk drive - yes - it must be an epidemic...) came installed with NAV and some other Norton cr*p and it was harder to get rid of than the last few viruses i've had to deal with!

if i *do* have to use Ghost, can i at least install it WITHOUT LiveUpdate?  purging that was the worst of the nightmare because it flat lied to me...

it *does* have a DVD writer and i have less than 9GB of stuff to transfer so in theory - if i can burn a DVD before the friggen drive goes Tango Uniform again - i shoud be okay.  can it Ghost to a network drive?  i've got 250G free on the fileserver...

Wow! This thread is everywhere. Times like these I'm glad I do Unix support.

Geoff,

You can ghost to another network client. Sounds like the way to go. When you get it all rebuilt, partition off a sepereate data drive. Then get a fresh snap with Ghost of your OS partition, then ghost your data partition. You can then occasionally update the partition images. Kinda like a backup.

Rich,

Yes. But it will take a little work on your part.

http://www.sysresccd.org/
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 10:43 AM