Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Very interesting take on the current low end air cooled market, Makes a hell of a lot of sense.
914Next
post May 10 2017, 06:22 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,695
Region Association: Upper MidWest

See the attached PCA article.

https://www.pca.org/news/2017-05-04/whats-d...-porsche-market
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jkb944t
post May 10 2017, 10:43 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 3,459
Region Association: None

QUOTE(914Next @ May 10 2017, 04:22 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
Rav914
post May 10 2017, 10:55 AM
Post #3

All-weather fan

Member No.: 7,669
Region Association: None

Great. The air-cooled Porsche as a hipster fashion must have. Don't forget to grow your special forces inspired beard as you cruise the local food carts.

Sorry. Maybe all the patina is getting to me.
+Quote Post
green914
post May 10 2017, 10:56 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 12,874
Region Association: Northern California

Good article, thanks for posting it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
914_7T3
post May 10 2017, 10:57 AM
Post #5

Please forgive me, I'm new to all of this!

Member No.: 20,991
Region Association: Southern California

Saw the article yesterday and it makes a lot of sense. Just glad I finally jumped in and purchased my car three weeks ago.

My thought is that there are only a limited number of cars out there and for that reason, I will look to keep mine as original as possible.
+Quote Post
Amphicar770
post May 10 2017, 01:03 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 11,639
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I bought my 914 because back in the 70's it was the car I always wanted. Took me 40+ years to get there.

Are most / many 914 owner's members of the PCA? Is there any value to it or is it tailored more to the pretentious 1 percenters who own own a Porsche simply for status?
+Quote Post
Big Len
post May 10 2017, 01:24 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 16,126
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ May 10 2017, 03:03 PM) *

I bought my 914 because back in the 70's it was the car I always wanted. Took me 40+ years to get there.

Are most / many 914 owner's members of the PCA? Is there any value to it or is it tailored more to the pretentious 1 percenters who own own a Porsche simply for status?

Same here.

I find very few PCA members pretentious and no more than other clubs. Most are gear heads like us and simply always wanted one.
+Quote Post
Amphicar770
post May 10 2017, 01:31 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(Big Len @ May 10 2017, 03:24 PM) *

Same here.

I find very few PCA members pretentious and no more than other clubs. Most are gear heads like us and simply always wanted one.

Good to know. I have been debating joining.

I have found most of the "old car" clubs to be technical and gear-head focused. Many of the clubs tailored to newer "luxury / perfromance" marques (i.e. the one with a 3 pointed star) seem to be more about "lifestyle" and focus more on logo accessories and jewelry than the cars themselves!
+Quote Post
Betty
post May 10 2017, 02:00 PM
Post #9

Driver

Member No.: 3,255
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Big Len @ May 10 2017, 02:24 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Also, PCA is large enough to have some kind of activity for almost everybody's interests (and maybe interests you didn't even know you had). For example, Clay and I would MUCH rather participate in driving events - but next weekend our local PCA region (Maverick) is having a Drive-In movie night. The double feature movies are "Rush" and "Le Mans". We just couldn't resist signing up for it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

We've never done anything like that before and I'm looking forward to watching those two movies while sitting in my 914! I will try to refrain from rowing through the gears and making engine noises during the racing scenes... but no guarantees. Besides, there'll probably be other club members sitting in their Porsche's parked right next to mine doing the exact same thing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)
+Quote Post
Shadowfax
post May 10 2017, 02:05 PM
Post #10

Show us the meaning of haste

Member No.: 18,340

QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ May 10 2017, 02:03 PM) *

I think it's worth it for the monthly magazine (Panorama) and the local/regional events. Some dealers offer a PCA parts discount too.
+Quote Post
Shadowfax
post May 10 2017, 02:13 PM
Post #11

Show us the meaning of haste

Member No.: 18,340

Good read. I guess I can start calling my 10-foot paint job "patina" instead (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post May 10 2017, 05:40 PM
Post #12

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181

Steve, I read that article too last night.

Add one more not being a fan of having the rusty-bucket, rat-rod, barn-find look of classic cars - which we know is an invitation to the tin-worm!

Interesting article, & as 914 & 912/912E & G> later 911/993 Aircooled prices continue to rise, I suspect that the junky kept cars will disappear slowly too.

Not that I have anything against those who still DD their 914s etc., so long as they take proper care of their cars, then they'll have reliable DDs!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
LowBridge
post May 10 2017, 05:42 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 19,045
Region Association: North East States

So rust in the longs is now Patina (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) ...
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post May 10 2017, 05:45 PM
Post #14

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

What's driving it - "you can't get this stuff no more!"
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post May 10 2017, 07:39 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068

ALL of my son's friends are looking for 914s.
+Quote Post
914_teener
post May 10 2017, 07:47 PM
Post #16

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489

When up at the last event had a long discussion about the 914 and the next generation of porsche owners.

The cars are still affordable the parts are realatively inexpensive and if you are willing to work on it yourself.....affordable to drive.

Commentary:

The later part being the biggest challenge to the millenial generation. Why paint it when Patina is can look cool.....like worn blue jeans I quess?
+Quote Post
struckn
post May 10 2017, 07:50 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 13,764

It's not just Hipster's who want a 914, I'd say there is a high percentage of new and old 911 owners that would love to have a 914 next to their 911 in their garage.
I think Seinfeld kept his 914 when he sold his collection.

Regardless of the potential increase in Value there is an increasing realization out there that old Analog Cars are a blast to drive. Newer technologically advanced cars have dampened the driving experience.
+Quote Post
Amphicar770
post May 10 2017, 08:26 PM
Post #18

There are very few new cars, other than those priced in the stratosphere, that anyone (especially young people looking to express their individuality) can get excited about. They all look the same, drive the same, sound the same, feel the same.

The 914 (and admittedly my 1991 Peugeot Mi-16) create a connection with the driver that new cars, with their CVT transmissions, completely lack. Don't even get me started on crossover utilities. These days, the newest vehicle in my fleet is 12 years old, mostly because there is nothing out there below the $50k mark that even remotely interests me.

In 1973 you had a lot of choices and unique quirky cars that simply do not exist today. A 914, 240z, MG, etc., could be had for about the same money as a typical domestic sedan. Not any more.

For less than the price of an Altima, Accord, Fusion, Kia, or other appliance you can pick up an old air cooled with far more personality and a lower depreciation curve.
+Quote Post
JHop
post May 10 2017, 10:37 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 19,685
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ May 10 2017, 12:31 PM) *

QUOTE(Big Len @ May 10 2017, 03:24 PM) *

Same here.

Good to know. I have been debating joining.

I have found most of the "old car" clubs to be technical and gear-head focused. Many of the clubs tailored to newer "luxury / perfromance" marques (i.e. the one with a 3 pointed star) seem to be more about "lifestyle" and focus more on logo accessories and jewelry

than the cars themselves!

+1 on PCA...I've been a member for 7 years and when I joined I was surprised at the low level of douchey-ness. Good group here in Oregon...we have distinct groups of social peeps, track peeps, gear heads, etc. and all get along. It's worth it to me.
+Quote Post
McLovin
post May 10 2017, 10:54 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 20,360

Well they say in real estate you should buy the most humble house in a great neighborhood.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:53 PM