Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Track prep help needed, Prepping 914 for HPDE
stumpmj
post May 10 2005, 10:22 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,044

I tried the search but I couldn't quite find the info I was looking for so I'm putting up my first thread.
I'm plannin got use my 75 914 2 liter for HPDE and lapping days (I currently instruct in a 350Z) but I'm unsure about what the car needs to have done to it to make it track worthy. I'm not looking to race or be particularly fast, I just want to make sure the car will be reliable and safe.

The car already has weltmeister autocross rear springs, koni shocks, and (I believe) the weltmeister front sway bar. I'm planning to upgrade to BMW 2002 front brakes and remove the factory porportioning valve (to replaced with a driver adjustable one) and to fix some rust (of course).

Beyond that, what do I need for the track? Do I need a deep sump, oil cooler, stiffening kit, roll cage?

I'd love to do everything to the car but my budget is pretty tight (buying a house) so like I said before, I'm just trying to make the car safe and reliable. Any sage advice would be much appreciated.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sjhowitson
post May 10 2005, 11:19 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,449

Tires are very important. I would look into some track tires. They make a hugh difference. I would also look into an oil cooler. Track temps tend to be higher. Brakes are also important IMHO....Going fast is the best fun I can have, but I like to know I can stop fast if I need to. I would change the brake fluid. Good racing pads are a good investment. Make sure you look over the whole system. Make sure ther are no leaks or worn lines. If you see any fix them. Murphys law things will brake at the worst possible time. Going into a tight turn and having no brakes is the worst time. You may want to look int the rules for your event about roll bar. I drove Time Trials for three years before I went into a class that required a roll bar. I hope that helps. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)

Be safe and have fun
+Quote Post
anthony
post May 10 2005, 11:52 AM
Post #3

2270 club

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 218

It just depends what you want to do on the track and what the safety requirements are for the group you are running with. A well running stock car is fine for driver's education. You want to make sure the tires are good and the brakes are in tip top shape. If you are going out there to set personal best times around the track then the sky is the limit on what you can spend to achieve your goals.
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post May 10 2005, 12:28 PM
Post #4

ELVIRA

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 481
Region Association: None

It sounds like you already know the basics.
#1.) Safety - Everything that moves needs to be out of the car. Take out the floor mats if you have them. Make sure the carpet will not move and get stuck behind the pedals. Secure the battery and cover the post. Add a fire extinguisher if you don't already have one. Check the wheel bearings. Nut and bolt everything on the suspension. Good tires are necessary. Make sure the break system is working perfectly. Blead with fresh fluid.

A 5 point harness will make it easier to drive the car if you are not fighting to stay in your seat. It is also a good safety improvement.

Watch the temp guage. The car will get hot if you are really pushing it.

I would not worry about an oil cooler or cage for now, unless you plan to do a lot more track events.

Have fun.
+Quote Post
stumpmj
post May 10 2005, 04:39 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 4,044

I know the basics of the HPDE scene since I've been doing them a couple of years. I just wanted to make sure there weren't any 914 problems that aboslutely had to be taken care of before hitting the track. A cage is on the way for sure as are a set of R compunds (probably Victoracers). My concern is hurting the chasis or the motor. I guess I'll be adding an oilcooler but is there any thing else to worry about (oil starvation, breaking the chasis, etc)?

+Quote Post
Mueller
post May 10 2005, 04:46 PM
Post #6

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

for now, just add an extra 1/2 quart of oil, a "tuna can" would help as well (round deep sump)

as long as your chassis is solid, you shouldn't have to worry about "tweaking" anything for some light DE events........if a cage is a long way out, a roll bar with a petty bar will help (much cheaper alternative)

the chassis kits Engman sells in the resource section supposed to help as well if you want to put off putting in the cage......

+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post May 10 2005, 05:53 PM
Post #7

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

If you don't put a "tuna can" or deep sump or Accusump in, keep an eye on the oil light. If you have the "large red brake warning light" in the combo gauge, consider swapping the wires between it and the green oil pressure warning light. It's a lot easier to notice the GREAT BIG light they use for the brakes than it is to notice the little tiny green oil light. And if the brakes have problems, you won't need a light to tell you... BTDT!!

Definitely keep an eye on the oil temp gauge (if you have one). Even if you already have an external cooler.

New brake fluid for the track event. No more than a month old, I would say, and newer is better. Good brake pads. The BMW brake upgrade is not necessary, but good (and fresh!!) fluid is.

A 10-lb Halon fire extinguisher that you can reach when belted in. If you use some other kind than Halon, make sure it's not one of the dry chemical ones that eat aluminum alloys and wiring insulation.

Make sure the car is in good running condition, with no loose parts.

IMHO, those are all that is necessary. All the rest is in the "nice to have" realm.

--DD
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 05:55 AM