Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Snorkle Installation, How to info needed
jdgreen
post May 14 2017, 12:29 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,461
Region Association: None

Have purchased new Snorkle from 914 Rubber. Looks like many have been sold. Now time to install it. I can not find any posts with info on this subject. Will connector for relay board fit thru as is? will protective cover over wiring need cut off and replaced? Is there a covering to use if cover stripped off? Any help appreciated from those that have done this job.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dlee6204
post May 14 2017, 01:02 PM
Post #2

Howdy

Member No.: 5,956

It's a pain the butt to install. All connectors must be removed and I suggest using a lot of lube to help it through.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post May 14 2017, 02:19 PM
Post #3

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

That means de-pinning all of the connectors, not cutting anything!

Yeah, it's a pain to get things through the wiring harness snorkel. I used a coat hanger as a "fish wire", taping wires to it and pushing it through alongside the existing wiring. Not the best idea--I poked holes in the side of the snorkel with the end of the coat hanger--but it did get the wires through.

--DD
+Quote Post
cary
post May 15 2017, 07:32 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Sometime this summer Matt (914Rubber) and I will create a set of instructions when we change out the one in his car.
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post May 15 2017, 10:04 AM
Post #5

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

1. Disconnect the rear portion of the chassis harness at the battery, oil temp sender wire, fuel pump, engine bay light, 14-pin connector at power panel, ground point under power panel, both taillights and both license plate lights. Loosen tabs at rear firewall to free up harness and pull harness through engine shelf hole to below the engine shelf.

2. Remove the plastic connector housings at the 14 pin, fuel pump and oil temp sender wire, record the wire position by color/stripe at the 14-pin connector.

3. Cut off the old snorkel grommet. Slide on the new snorkel grommet (be sure the correct end goes on first) using plenty of KY jelly as lube - nothing oil based. Clean off the KY residue after installation. Its a tight fit and patience is required to be sure, but the KY is the secret sauce.

4. Reconnect the harness to everything.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
jdgreen
post May 23 2017, 08:26 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 17,461

Finally had time to install snorkel over weekend. Not a 1 person job. Wife helped and we made it. Thanks to all for input and suggestions. Jeff Bowlsby's instructions worked perfectly. I did find length of snorkel long by about 1 1/2 inches (for different installations). Made of silicon, it will over lap it self and telescope to look quite good. Satisfied and glad to have this job done. Want to have car on road with new built 2056 this summer. Car has been setting for 15 years since purchase from Dave S. at GPR in Cal. We drove it to Ohio and parked it.
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post May 23 2017, 11:19 AM
Post #7

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

jdgreen, what car did you get from Dave? Just curious, he was a good friend.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post May 23 2017, 01:16 PM
Post #8

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ May 15 2017, 12:04 PM) *

1. Disconnect the rear portion of the chassis harness at the battery, oil temp sender wire, fuel pump, engine bay light, 14-pin connector at power panel, ground point under power panel, both taillights and both license plate lights. Loosen tabs at rear firewall to free up harness and pull harness through engine shelf hole to below the engine shelf.

2. Remove the plastic connector housings at the 14 pin, fuel pump and oil temp sender wire, record the wire position by color/stripe at the 14-pin connector.

3. Cut off the old snorkel grommet. Slide on the new snorkel grommet (be sure the correct end goes on first) using plenty of KY jelly as lube - nothing oil based. Clean off the KY residue after installation. Its a tight fit and patience is required to be sure, but the KY is the secret sauce.

4. Reconnect the harness to everything.

If you have a good, crack free snorkel you get it off by doing somewhat of a reverse order.
I didn't believe that you could do it, but the young lad and I managed to get his off perfectly. No way could you do that on mine as it has spider cracks all through it.

Removing the big connectors is the only way to do this or remove the whole harness from the car. You have to make an order drawing, but it's totally do-able without damaging any wires.
+Quote Post
barefoot
post Jun 6 2017, 04:16 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 15,673
Region Association: South East States

I have to replace entire chassis harness and have new snorkel (914 Rubber) as well.
Want to pull wires thru snorkel before it is secured into body shell, does that work ?
Jeff's description was vague just there.
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Jun 6 2017, 07:58 AM
Post #10

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

I wouldn't do it that way. Harness in first, then slide on the snorkel.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
draperjojo
post Jun 6 2017, 09:07 PM
Post #11

sixstrings

Member No.: 5,317

I use dishwashing soap and water sometimes pulling wire..makes it nice and slick.
+Quote Post
Garland
post Jun 6 2017, 10:00 PM
Post #12

Restoration Fanatic

Member No.: 1,535
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I just posted this Snorkel Installation, thanks for the insperation to post.

72 Restoration Project
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 02:14 PM