Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Classified Rules!
> 9/1973 914-6 conversion full respray Grand Prix White, Selling my car.
Deraffe
post May 14 2017, 09:20 PM
Post #1

I'm new here ...

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,959
Region Association: None

To start with, I built this car for my father using parts from his euro gray market 1971 911s about 15 years ago when I was working at Stuttgart Southwest a local independent Porsche repair shop.

I started with a nice roller 9 of 73 914 and replaced both the battery tray and the outer rear a arm mount after finding some rust issues after removing the battery tray. I used factory sheet metal to replace everything, no janky after market stuff and everything was repaired to look factory otherwise, there was no other body issues.
The car was then resprayed Grand Prix White.

Quick back ground on the donor car. My father bought a gray market 1971 911s when I was in 7th grade, by the time I was in my mid 20's he was looking into having the engine rebuilt then restoring the body. After a long search he found an engine rebuilder, then shortly after doing the break-in 500 miles and oil change, the door catch on the drivers side b pillar ripped off of the body when he closed the door. This led to discovering further rust issues and the decision to look for a solid roller to swap the parts over for a 914-6 conversion.

* Motor......
Full rebuilt 2.4 Euro S 911 motor from my father's Euro 911s. It was rebuilt 1 year prior to starting the project. It was actually completely rebuilt, not just honed and re-ringed like most people do. Stock rebuilt using KS bearings, honed and resized rods, polished crank, reused pistols and liners (all were in spec and the liners were still round), blue printed oil pump, all the oil galleys were cleaned out and the oil squirters were verified working and Carrara timing chain tensioners were added. The heads were rebuilt with NEW guides and seals, re ground valves with a 3 angle valve job and NEW springs, NEW keepers/retainers, a very slight fly cut to make sure they sealed. (the compression was raised very slightly from this over stock. All of the other valve train parts were checked, found to be with in spec and reused. Around 5 k miles on the motor since rebuild. It is running mechanical injection with a new transfer pump and rebuilt mechanical pump. The linkage is tight as well as no leaks at the throttle shafts and topped off with K&N open filters (i still have the stock air cleaner assembly if you want that.), headers and a Borscht muffler.

Tranaxle......
Completely rebuilt 901 side shift with NEW shift forks and syncro rings and magna fluxed stock gears, around 2500-3000 miles on the trans since rebuild. Trans shifts perfectly and I have done 2 fluid changes the first 2 break-in changes using regular gear oil and the last using Mobil1 synthetic gear oil.

Brakes and suspension...........
I used the 911 front suspension from the donor car including the Koni front shocks and sway-a-way front torsion bars (i don't remember what size they were though), rebuilt aluminium 4 piston calipers and corresponding rotors, 911 front sway bar, rear brakes are stock 914 with 914-6 hubs and redrilled rotors, weltmeister springs and KYB shocks. The car is slightly lowered all the way around. I also used a W123 Mercedes master cylinder with a bracket welded onto the beam to take up the gap and keep the firewall from flexing under braking. The W123 master cyl is a larger bore then the 911 upgrade and a better brake feel. The car also has a space saver 5 lug spare.

Body..........
Stock sheet metal with the rear fenders pulled slightly to fit the wheels. 16x6 front and 16x8 rear Carrera 2 staggered wheels and Kumho tires. All the rubber is in good shape and the top and door seals were replaced after the car was sprayed Grand Prix White. The bumpers are black and the rubber is in nice shape. The engine deck lid is a copy of a 914-6 GT with the center cut out and engine grill mesh welded in and painted body colour. I did this to get maximum cooli,g air into the 2.4lt 190hp Euro S motors and to help control the temps here in the hot AZ summers. All the body emblems have been shaved including the hood emblem and the B pillars have had the vinyl removed and were painted body colour with the lower chrome trim removed and holes filled. The car currently has Hella Euro front turn signal lenses. I had amber Hella front turn lenses on the car, but after I took the car to a body shop to get a few small chips and a door ding fixed, the over zealous body tech cranked down the screws and broke the plastic. I will include them with the same though. It has regular US spec tail lights and side markets. The head lights are H-4 housings with high output bulbs (i don't remember the wattage). The rocker covers are also painted black.

Interior...........
The interior is stock with the exception of a MOMO Monte Carlo 350mm steering wheel, MOMO 4 point belt with Weltmeister harness bar (drivers side only) and a MOMO shift knob. It has the appearance interior with the center console and gauges, the top gauge has been replaced with a VDO oil pressure gauge, but I still have the clock and will include it with the same. The gauges are from a 911 to match the engine with the correct tact and speedo. The cluster backing has been painted body colour. There is an aftermarket Alpine removable face deck, but it is getting old and I would replace it with something newer that works with an mp3 player or phone.

There is roughly 5-6K miles on the car since it was finished as it was a nice weather play car.

Asking $30k firm.

Feel free to shoot me an offer and I can provide more pics if needed.

The worst I can say is a polite no thank you.

The way to contact me is by my cell which I will give out to serious buyers.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Deraffe   9/1973 914-6 conversion full respray Grand Prix White   May 14 2017, 09:20 PM
Deraffe   Attn ADMIN: How do I add pictures to this post?...   May 14 2017, 09:24 PM
rhodyguy   Are you using the fast reply option? If so, don...   May 15 2017, 10:08 AM
campbellcj   Good luck with the sale and I look forward to seei...   May 15 2017, 10:36 AM
Tom_T   Deraffe, not an Admin, but .... You can use ...   May 15 2017, 12:05 PM
Deraffe   Thank you for the help and pointers. I was wonde...   May 15 2017, 12:18 PM
mepstein   Thank you for the help and pointers. I was wond...   May 15 2017, 01:35 PM
rhodyguy   Sorry if my expanation was unclear. Harder for me ...   May 15 2017, 12:46 PM
Deraffe   I am about 3/4 of the way through the list now and...   May 15 2017, 11:02 PM
Cairo94507   Heck, we all want to see pictures -sounds like a t...   May 16 2017, 08:19 AM
billh1963   Deraffe: The engine ($$$$...   May 16 2017, 08:22 AM
campbellcj   Deraffe: The engine ($$$$...   May 16 2017, 06:28 PM
My 914   :agree: I would just post the pictures here. It...   May 16 2017, 02:48 PM
rhodyguy   The new owner will prob take care of that. No doub...   May 16 2017, 06:24 PM
Deraffe   At the advice of some of the forum people (thank y...   May 16 2017, 10:05 PM
Deraffe   To everyone who has shown interest and suggestions...   May 23 2017, 07:21 AM
Cairo94507   An in-person inspection of this car would be a wis...   May 24 2017, 07:00 AM
Deraffe   Now with pics!   Jun 12 2017, 08:40 PM
914z   Now with pics! WHERE? :confused: oh !@#...   Jul 8 2017, 12:11 AM
Deraffe   Engine code   Jun 12 2017, 08:41 PM
Deraffe   Engine code   Jun 12 2017, 08:44 PM
michael7810   Adding pics for the seller:   Jun 12 2017, 09:30 PM
michael7810   More:   Jun 12 2017, 09:33 PM
Deraffe   Asking price is $30K firm. I can facilitate...   Jun 13 2017, 07:14 PM
brownaar   You should probably edit your original post to ref...   Jun 13 2017, 08:00 PM
Deraffe   You should probably edit your original post to re...   Jun 13 2017, 08:32 PM
Deraffe   Bump   Jun 18 2017, 10:01 PM
Deraffe   Due to some on going health issues with my father,...   Jul 8 2017, 05:43 AM
Deraffe   Bump ttt   Aug 1 2017, 06:55 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 02:59 PM