Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Classified Rules!
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 9/1973 914-6 conversion full respray Grand Prix White, Selling my car.
Deraffe
post May 14 2017, 09:20 PM
Post #1

I'm new here ...

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,959
Region Association: None

To start with, I built this car for my father using parts from his euro gray market 1971 911s about 15 years ago when I was working at Stuttgart Southwest a local independent Porsche repair shop.

I started with a nice roller 9 of 73 914 and replaced both the battery tray and the outer rear a arm mount after finding some rust issues after removing the battery tray. I used factory sheet metal to replace everything, no janky after market stuff and everything was repaired to look factory otherwise, there was no other body issues.
The car was then resprayed Grand Prix White.

Quick back ground on the donor car. My father bought a gray market 1971 911s when I was in 7th grade, by the time I was in my mid 20's he was looking into having the engine rebuilt then restoring the body. After a long search he found an engine rebuilder, then shortly after doing the break-in 500 miles and oil change, the door catch on the drivers side b pillar ripped off of the body when he closed the door. This led to discovering further rust issues and the decision to look for a solid roller to swap the parts over for a 914-6 conversion.

* Motor......
Full rebuilt 2.4 Euro S 911 motor from my father's Euro 911s. It was rebuilt 1 year prior to starting the project. It was actually completely rebuilt, not just honed and re-ringed like most people do. Stock rebuilt using KS bearings, honed and resized rods, polished crank, reused pistols and liners (all were in spec and the liners were still round), blue printed oil pump, all the oil galleys were cleaned out and the oil squirters were verified working and Carrara timing chain tensioners were added. The heads were rebuilt with NEW guides and seals, re ground valves with a 3 angle valve job and NEW springs, NEW keepers/retainers, a very slight fly cut to make sure they sealed. (the compression was raised very slightly from this over stock. All of the other valve train parts were checked, found to be with in spec and reused. Around 5 k miles on the motor since rebuild. It is running mechanical injection with a new transfer pump and rebuilt mechanical pump. The linkage is tight as well as no leaks at the throttle shafts and topped off with K&N open filters (i still have the stock air cleaner assembly if you want that.), headers and a Borscht muffler.

Tranaxle......
Completely rebuilt 901 side shift with NEW shift forks and syncro rings and magna fluxed stock gears, around 2500-3000 miles on the trans since rebuild. Trans shifts perfectly and I have done 2 fluid changes the first 2 break-in changes using regular gear oil and the last using Mobil1 synthetic gear oil.

Brakes and suspension...........
I used the 911 front suspension from the donor car including the Koni front shocks and sway-a-way front torsion bars (i don't remember what size they were though), rebuilt aluminium 4 piston calipers and corresponding rotors, 911 front sway bar, rear brakes are stock 914 with 914-6 hubs and redrilled rotors, weltmeister springs and KYB shocks. The car is slightly lowered all the way around. I also used a W123 Mercedes master cylinder with a bracket welded onto the beam to take up the gap and keep the firewall from flexing under braking. The W123 master cyl is a larger bore then the 911 upgrade and a better brake feel. The car also has a space saver 5 lug spare.

Body..........
Stock sheet metal with the rear fenders pulled slightly to fit the wheels. 16x6 front and 16x8 rear Carrera 2 staggered wheels and Kumho tires. All the rubber is in good shape and the top and door seals were replaced after the car was sprayed Grand Prix White. The bumpers are black and the rubber is in nice shape. The engine deck lid is a copy of a 914-6 GT with the center cut out and engine grill mesh welded in and painted body colour. I did this to get maximum cooli,g air into the 2.4lt 190hp Euro S motors and to help control the temps here in the hot AZ summers. All the body emblems have been shaved including the hood emblem and the B pillars have had the vinyl removed and were painted body colour with the lower chrome trim removed and holes filled. The car currently has Hella Euro front turn signal lenses. I had amber Hella front turn lenses on the car, but after I took the car to a body shop to get a few small chips and a door ding fixed, the over zealous body tech cranked down the screws and broke the plastic. I will include them with the same though. It has regular US spec tail lights and side markets. The head lights are H-4 housings with high output bulbs (i don't remember the wattage). The rocker covers are also painted black.

Interior...........
The interior is stock with the exception of a MOMO Monte Carlo 350mm steering wheel, MOMO 4 point belt with Weltmeister harness bar (drivers side only) and a MOMO shift knob. It has the appearance interior with the center console and gauges, the top gauge has been replaced with a VDO oil pressure gauge, but I still have the clock and will include it with the same. The gauges are from a 911 to match the engine with the correct tact and speedo. The cluster backing has been painted body colour. There is an aftermarket Alpine removable face deck, but it is getting old and I would replace it with something newer that works with an mp3 player or phone.

There is roughly 5-6K miles on the car since it was finished as it was a nice weather play car.

Asking $30k firm.

Feel free to shoot me an offer and I can provide more pics if needed.

The worst I can say is a polite no thank you.

The way to contact me is by my cell which I will give out to serious buyers.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Deraffe
post May 14 2017, 09:24 PM
Post #2

I'm new here ...

Attn ADMIN:

How do I add pictures to this post?
Do I need to host them and add a link or car I just directly post them?
I have a lot of pictures of the car I would like to add to the post please.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post May 15 2017, 10:08 AM
Post #3

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Are you using the fast reply option? If so, don't do that. Pictures can not be added using fast reply. use the standard reply. Select the attachments, add attachments, DO NOT do the preview post feature, then submit. Pretty straight forward. No doubt, some potential buyer is waiting to see what you have. Sounds like a nice car. GLWTS.

K
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post May 15 2017, 10:36 AM
Post #4

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

Good luck with the sale and I look forward to seeing pics although I'm not in the buying market now.

Depending what interest/offers you see, you may want to consider selling the engine separately as the "early 911" crowd seems to be paying large sums for engines, esp an MFI "S" engine that is relatively original. And good solid 914 rollers seem to sell pretty well also. Just a thought.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post May 15 2017, 12:05 PM
Post #5

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181

Deraffe, not an Admin, but ....

You can use "Full Edit" in the Edit drop-down in the lower right frame of your 1st post, then look below the Smilies in the lower left of the posting frame for "File Attachements" in blue text, & use the "Browse" button to select the files & folders on your computer from which to upload your pix, then click on the pic to add the title to the box, then click on "Open" - it'll go away for awhile uploading, then will come back with a box at the bottom showing the list of uploaded attachments, but you still need to click a spot in your post where you want the pic to appear, then click on the insert attachment (or whatever it's called) to actually place the attached pic into your post. You can do "preview Post" at the bottom to check if it looks the way you want & where you want.

I don't know why rhodyguy says not to use preview post feature to check if they got in your post - unless he just means that to finalize the added pix, you have to actually hit the "Add This" button. You can preview them before you post them though, as I've done it many times.

I'd also suggest that you do an intro post about yourself in the Garage Forum so you can lose the "I'm new herer...." or "Lurker" tag (classified posts don't count as posts on the member stats here), plus you can link to your ad here, from where most members are looking in the Garage Forum.

GLWTS! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Deraffe
post May 15 2017, 12:18 PM
Post #6

I'm new here ...

Thank you for the help and pointers.

I was wondering about the post count thing as I have posted a few times and nothing has shown up.

To everyone who has contacted me.....there have been A LOT of you, I get off work at 2:30 pm Arizona time and will run down the list to send pics or contact you in reguards to the car. I was contacting each individual personally with a message, but now there too many to do it before the work day is up. So pics and info will start flowing to your email or phones this afternoon.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post May 15 2017, 12:46 PM
Post #7

Sorry if my expanation was unclear. Harder for me to explain than do. I'm sure you'll figure it out. Judging by your inbox activity it could be a quick sale.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post May 15 2017, 01:35 PM
Post #8

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Deraffe @ May 15 2017, 02:18 PM) *

Thank you for the help and pointers.

I was wondering about the post count thing as I have posted a few times and nothing has shown up.

To everyone who has contacted me.....there have been A LOT of you, I get off work at 2:30 pm Arizona time and will run down the list to send pics or contact you in reguards to the car. I was contacting each individual personally with a message, but now there too many to do it before the work day is up. So pics and info will start flowing to your email or phones this afternoon.

Classifieds don't count to the post total.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
Deraffe
post May 15 2017, 11:02 PM
Post #9

I'm new here ...

I am about 3/4 of the way through the list now and calling it quits,for the night (4am comes pretty early). If you have not received either a reply or pictures, you will get them tomorrow.

Greg
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post May 16 2017, 08:19 AM
Post #10

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Heck, we all want to see pictures -sounds like a terrific car. GLWTS (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
billh1963
post May 16 2017, 08:22 AM
Post #11

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871
Region Association: South East States

Deraffe: The engine ($$$$$$$$$) is what's driving the interest. Do some research (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
My 914
post May 16 2017, 02:48 PM
Post #12

Casual Member

Member No.: 19,928
Region Association: North East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I would just post the pictures here. It would save a lot of time. let everyone take a look, and those with further interest can contact you directly.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post May 16 2017, 06:24 PM
Post #13

The new owner will prob take care of that. No doubt someone is booking a flight. Cheap insurance these days.
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post May 16 2017, 06:28 PM
Post #14

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21

QUOTE(billh1963 @ May 16 2017, 07:22 AM) *

Deraffe: The engine ($$$$$$$$$) is what's driving the interest. Do some research (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Yup that's what I was hinting at as well. List that engine on the early911sregistry or pelicanparts 911 board and see what happens. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
Deraffe
post May 16 2017, 10:05 PM
Post #15

I'm new here ...

At the advice of some of the forum people (thank you those who did) I am going to assess the idea of selling the motor separate from the car and selling the car as a 90% complete 914-6 conversion roller.

I will also post up pictures on the forum as soon as I can because I am just spending a ton of time with emailing pics.
+Quote Post
Deraffe
post May 23 2017, 07:21 AM
Post #16

I'm new here ...

To everyone who has shown interest and suggestions with the car, some family health issues have come up and I have not been able to get back with everyone reguarding the car as family is the priority. The car is still for sale and I will get back to everyone as soon as I can.

I was able to post some pics with the help of a member on early 911 sregistry.
Here is a link to them. http://www.early911sregistry.org/forums/sh...-911s-MFI-Motor

I will also be setting up a drop box with about 30 pics of the car here shortly.

Thanks for your understanding,

Greg
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post May 24 2017, 07:00 AM
Post #17

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

An in-person inspection of this car would be a wise thing for potential buyers and likely facilitate a quick sale. I wish the seller well with his family issues and a speedy sale.
+Quote Post
Deraffe
post Jun 12 2017, 08:40 PM
Post #18

I'm new here ...

Now with pics!
+Quote Post
Deraffe
post Jun 12 2017, 08:41 PM
Post #19

I'm new here ...

Engine code
+Quote Post
Deraffe
post Jun 12 2017, 08:44 PM
Post #20

I'm new here ...

QUOTE(Deraffe @ Jun 12 2017, 09:41 PM) *

Engine code

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 02:33 AM