Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> apdated relay board I remeber bout a year ago someone was making relay bords anybody know who?, anone know who was making updated relay boards?
funk
post May 15 2017, 08:15 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,531
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Hello someone was making relay boards like the fuse boxes wevo makes but relay boards anyone know where to buy? specifically a 914 world vender?thanks
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
GregAmy
post Oct 16 2017, 10:52 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

What's the status on this? I just got stuck on the side of the highway today for the second time. I got it flat-bedded home and I'm sure it's the same problem as before: the relay plate.

I'm tired of this, ready to buy a new replay plate/relays and a new wiring harness. Let's make this happen!
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Oct 18 2017, 07:52 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

A bump for a troubleshooting update on this new problem.

Summary of symptoms. Car burbled a couple times on me over the last couple weeks. Kept running. Monday morning it died on highway, and would not restart. Key on, no pump action. I swapped fuel pump and power relays with known-good ones (tested in the heater blower slot) and pump would not activate. I did not have the 3" piece of wire I needed to jump a relay, so I had the car towed home.

Troubleshooting included re-swap and re-test of relays, no go. Jumped 30 and 87 on the fuel pump relay slot, pump works. Since the control circuit of that relay is at the ECU, could not easily test it. However, I did not have power at 85 on that relay so I moved my inspection to the power relay.

Same as before, known good relays, jumped 30 and 87 to bypass and still no fuel pump. That should have momentarily kicked on the fuel pump but it did not. Checked for voltage at 30 (good) and resisted ground at 87 (to the ECU, good) and yet I still did not get the fuel pump to come on. That made absolutely no sense.

Just as a test I jumped straight from the + battery terminal to the power relay 87 terminal -- and the fuel pump momentarily kicked on! Ok, I again short-jumped power relay 30 and 87...and no pump. I rechecked for voltage at 30, I had 12.5V. Just for kicks, short-jumped 85 and 87...and pump kicked on. This makes no sense!

So, TL;DR, I had 12V voltage to the power relay, but apparently not enough amperage to even activate the solenoid side of it. I re-installed all relays, still no pump; I tapped the relay plate with a ball peen and had momentary pump actuation. Two minutes later, no pump again. But jumping power relay 85 and 87 and everything works (wouldn't want to run that way for long; the 85 circuit is not designed to do that).

I am hoping among hopes that this is internal to the relay plate. A very gracious person is loaning me a known-good plate while we work on getting these repro'd in a better design. But if this is a wiring problem at the big forward plug, this is going to be a major PITA to resolve, since that harness, as best I can tell, goes deep into the car and is not easy to replace/repair...

We laugh about the rust on these cars. But the electrics have high possibility of parking a lot...
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 01:14 AM