Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New to forum and not a bad deal
arne
post May 16 2017, 09:41 AM
Post #21

Serial Rescuer of old vehicles...

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,799
Region Association: None

I'd say, "Nice find!" but since you knew where it was all along...

Great starting point, even without the family history. And good color as well. I'm about 6 weeks into the rescue of a very similar yellow example. ( Yellow '73 2.0 storage unit find ) Mine is a bit rougher looking than yours, but has/had many of the same needs. I'll be watching to see how this plays out.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dlkawashima
post May 16 2017, 10:14 AM
Post #22

914 Guru

Member No.: 12,234
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Tom_T @ May 16 2017, 07:59 AM) *

Get to know Rich Bontempi at HPH (High Performance House) down in Redwood City (he may have done the Euro 8.0:1 CR P/Cs for your Dad , it's one of his racer/AXer/Street trix), & Marty Yeoman who IIRC also has body work up there in the Bay Area.

I believe Tom means Scott Yeaman, the owner of Yeaman Auto Body, which is located on Bayshore Rd. in East Palo Alto. Good guy, highly recommended.
Attached Image

And here's a Google Maps screencap of High Performance House. Prices are high but Rich will probably have 3 of everything you might need.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
green914
post May 16 2017, 10:46 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 12,874

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
RangerDick
post May 16 2017, 04:37 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 21,104

QUOTE(76-914 @ May 16 2017, 06:19 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) I was going to suggest that you bolt down that other Max Jack lift but I see from the last pic you've already done that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) 914's; you gotta love 'em. What kind of plane? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Dad is 86 now, and was introduced to the love of flying by his father, one of the first Asian American private pilots in California. Grandpa's license was signed by Orville Wright! He built his plane after he retired, a Vans RV6A, 217 mph on 160 hp!!! Last year, he realized his flying skills were starting to diminish so he decided to stop flying. Gotta respect a person that knows his limitations.

The Max Jack is an invaluable tool. Yeah, it's bolted down very well. I had to totally rebuild the garage floor and driveway. There is a fully reinforced 12 inch deep grade beam under the jack.

Glad I found this place. Tons of valuable information and great people.
+Quote Post
RangerDick
post May 16 2017, 04:47 PM
Post #25

QUOTE(Tom_T @ May 16 2017, 07:59 AM) *

QUOTE(RangerDick @ May 15 2017, 10:31 PM) *

Wasser Boxer guy but picked this up a few months ago. Purchased by my father brand new in 1973 from Neufeld Porsche in San Carlos CA. Had it in his hanger, but he sold his plane and needed to "get rid of it." So I got it for free. 1973 2.0 with the appearance group. Prolly a few hundred thousand miles, but rebuild engine with euro spec parts. No rust, Cali car. Original with MFI. Needs a good going through, with new rubber, brakes, engine drop and go through. Interior is nearly perfect, since driver's seat has one small hole. I have the original radio. Only stupid thing is my brother installed a clifford alarm and there are a bunch of wires that have been cut and spiced.

Paint is the worst issue, not too bad, but with minor fender benders, the localized respray doesn't match too well. Any suggestions?

Love this forum and will be referring to it on a regular basis.

That's great Dick!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Keep it in the family too, going forward.

.... & you have the history since new on it from your Dad, I'm sure, so collect all his past records, service receipts, window sticker maybe, etc., & those should enable you to put the correct actual mileage on it, plus see what was done, whether it's still the original numbers matching 2L, etc..

Depending on the build date, it probably also has the Performance Group as well (F & R Sway bars + those Fuchs 2L wheels - should have been 5 incl. spare).

However, it will have the electronic Bosch D-jet EFI - not the mechanical MFi (which was on that era's 911 6s of that era only).

Get to know Rich Bontempi at HPH (High Performance House) down in Redwood City (he may have done the Euro 8.0:1 CR P/Cs for your Dad , it's one of his racer/AXer/Street trix), & Marty Yeoman who IIRC also has body work up there in the Bay Area.

Depending on the state of the paint - if it's 75% or more original & can be brought back by a quality detail shop/guy, then you may want to look at PDR & touch-ups only to fix those not-so-great prior touch-ups. However, if the original paint is too far gone, then you're probably going to do a full repaint - unless you just want to drive it as is.

You'll also find p914.com (& .org & .net), & Jeff Bowlsby's website below a great resource, & Jeff is in Pleasanton & does various 914 electric harness restos.

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/

http://bowlsby.net/914/WiringHarnesses/

So enjoy it & (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////

Hi Tom, thanks for all that information. Not sure if you can read it, but the front license plate frame is Rich Bontempi's HP house. The car had the hell hole repair and clutch tube pinned. He did not do the rebuild. My kid brother did. He used euro spec Mahle pistons and cylinders. I'm pretty sure the car has 230k miles. I have 5 fuch's wheels, it has the front and rear sway bars. Have some records, but much of the originals. I've started to rub the pain out and it looks like it can "clean" up.

One big bummer is the front hood was resprayed and when they did it, they color matched to the faded paint. So it can't be rubbed out. It needs new rubber, bushings and the brakes need to be rebuilt. Miss matched tires need to be replaced. Minor detail work inside. Prolly drop the motor and replace injector o rings and vacuum lines, and fuel lines. I am a mechanical person and can do all the repairs myself. But Rich is certainly a good guy and great reference.

Thanks for the welcome.

BTW,

Names Matt, The RangerDick name is something someone called me when I worked in Forestry a long time ago. Name just stuck..
+Quote Post
burton73
post May 16 2017, 05:04 PM
Post #26

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

+Quote Post
pete-stevers
post May 16 2017, 07:06 PM
Post #27

saved from fire!

Member No.: 2,914
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Welcome to the World!!
It is a great place to hang out! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
RangerDick
post Jun 25 2017, 11:01 PM
Post #28

Finally had a few days off and good weather. Yesterday I removed the bumpers and pounded out some small dents to try and get the bumper profile back. Today, I rubbed out the paint to try and bring it back, along with a wax. Came out ok. There is a reflection, but not super shiny. The paint is very thin in spots. Will probably try and keep it like this and make it a fun driver with original patina.

Here are some pics of the work after I finished. Attached Image
+Quote Post
JOEPROPER
post Jun 26 2017, 06:40 AM
Post #29

The answer is "no" unless you ask...

Member No.: 19,387
Region Association: North East States

Very nice... and looks like it has a happy home. Good Luck! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)
+Quote Post
RangerDick
post Jul 8 2018, 10:40 AM
Post #30

Well, took two weeks of vacation and this is what happened the first week. Replaced everything on all 4 corners, new shocks/struts, ball joints, bushings, brake master cylinder, brake lines, calibers and rotors and turbo tie rods. New rear bearings, bushings and shocks. Stainless steel fuel lines. Its a roller now, just waiting for the rear calipers from PMB. The stance is much nicer and it sits better. Looking forward to getting it on the road. Attached Image Attached ImageAttached ImageAttached Image[attachmentid=658
274]

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:20 AM