Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Clutch cable tube in tunnel, should there be any movement ?
porschetub
post May 16 2017, 03:44 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

Have some movement @ the front securing bracket ,is that normal or is it starting to break ?
Reason I ask is I have had to adjust my new clutch several times,maybe my new cable is continually stretching as I have set to correct freeplay on every occasion.
Had my gearbox out to replace input shaft seal and besides minor oil contamination (cleaned up ) it was well....a new clutch.
TIA
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Rand
post May 16 2017, 03:53 PM
Post #2

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

Sounds like it's more than starting. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
I'd reinforce in the tunnel and at the firewall in the engine compartment, and the sooner the better. Even if it was something else, this is an upgrade we'll all need at some point.
+Quote Post
burton73
post May 16 2017, 04:40 PM
Post #3

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

The front should not move at all. It is just a small amount weld attaching the tube to the body up front.
This is a problem on 914s and there are lots of write-ups on it. It comes lose at every place it is welded to the car.
Not so easy to fix completely without having the metal on the bottom opened up. Lots of creative temporary fixes but you need to look up old postings and see the ways people have done this over the years.

You will see u bolts jobs, welding part of it. Remember that your gas runs through the center tube as well as wiring and more. When you see some pictures you will have a much better idea of what you have to do.

Bob B
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post May 16 2017, 05:38 PM
Post #4

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

You can remove the bolts from the shifter base, turn the base 90 degrees and with a flashlight see that front weld joint to see if it broke loose. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Rand
post May 16 2017, 05:48 PM
Post #5

Cross Member

QUOTE(76-914 @ May 16 2017, 03:38 PM) *

You can remove the bolts from the shifter base, turn the base 90 degrees and with a flashlight see that front weld joint to see if it broke loose. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

You could. Don't you think that welding up something makes sense at this point?

+Quote Post
porschetub
post May 16 2017, 06:49 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Rand @ May 17 2017, 11:48 AM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ May 16 2017, 03:38 PM) *

You could. Don't you think that welding up something makes sense at this point?

Thanks,so movement equals bad news,think it maybe starting to break @ the point towards the centre as opposed to the whole thing breaking at the side spot welds on the left side of the tunnel ...need more time in there ,will report back,think I will cut inspection hole on the top as I need to fix up where some clown had done this !!!!!
Attached Image
PO did say this was done when he got the car WAY back so I will tidy this up @ the same time.
Rand found all other attachment points to be ok so maybe I have it in time (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
porschetub
post May 18 2017, 04:40 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Researched and found the spot welds holding the bracket are 3'' forward of the shifter is this correct before I start (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) ?or this this case grinder.
+Quote Post
burton73
post May 18 2017, 06:29 PM
Post #8

burton73

Do the research on old postings. I find that it is easer to look up questions on Google asking something like “clutch tube lose on 914 Porsche”
I find it is much easer that using the search engine in on our site.

Look at all the pictures and people show their different fixes for this problem. To fix it for the longer run as I said you have to open it up but you may use a U bolt and nuts for a somewhat long fix. See what that looks like. With that fix there is no welding just drilling and bolting. My 6 was fixed that way when I got it and I have no idea if it worked right or for how long. I fixed it right when I went in for the full restoration of her.

You have to be very careful in any drilling or cutting because of possible damage or fire.

It is hard to see clearly in your picture, as it is too dark.

Bob B
+Quote Post
burton73
post May 18 2017, 06:32 PM
Post #9

burton73

Do the research on old postings. I find that it is easer to look up questions on Google asking something like “clutch tube lose on 914 Porsche”
I find it is much easer that using the search engine in on our site.

Look at all the pictures and people show their different fixes for this problem. To fix it for the longer run as I said you have to open it up but you may use a U bolt and nuts for a somewhat long fix. See what that looks like. With that fix there is no welding just drilling and bolting. My 6 was fixed that way when I got it and I have no idea if it worked right or for how long. I fixed it right when I went in for the full restoration of her.

You have to be very careful in any drilling or cutting because of possible damage or fire.

It is hard to see clearly in your picture, as it is too dark.

Bob B
+Quote Post
Rand
post May 18 2017, 08:03 PM
Post #10

Cross Member

Here's a good reference for starters:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...tch+tube+repair
+Quote Post
porschetub
post May 20 2017, 05:19 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Thanks Bob and rand,picked up on Spokes repair was just confirming before I cut,I can't see a thing up there with a torch ??,the link provided has given me more good info (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) .
No I don't plan on using u-bolt that's a bit hillbilly to me,I have started to make I clamp bracket I will weld to the base of the tunnel,hopefully fixed to the original one.
All good on the proximity of the fuel lines,mine is metal towards the rear going to new plastic line @ that point next to the shifter.
Not too concerned as I would like to paint the bottom of the tunnel so now is my change and I may do the rear bracket too.
Thanks all for comments.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:53 AM