Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> WTB: caliper bolt, I need to replace one
slotty008
post May 18 2017, 12:02 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,349
Region Association: None

Now that we are finally back online , I have an urgent question. I just finished repairing my rear brake calipers. The pistons were stuck so I carefully took hem out, cleaned everything up , changed the seals and the dustcaps and put them back together again.
Much easier than I thought it would be , also thanks to the excellent youtube video of PMB Performance. Since I live in Belgium it would have been too expensive to send them to PMB; The import duties when receiving it back are horrible.

But there was only one big problem. One of the bolts that keep the calipers together had broken off inside the caliper. ( by the PO) I managed to get the broken piece out with a left tap (wiggling very carefully) took me half an hour to get it out. So far , so good but I can't find a replacement bolt anywhere here in Europe. Even Porsche doesn't have them.
So if anyone could tell me where to find them (it's the smaller one of the two) I would be eternally thankful.

Attached Image Attached ImageAttached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Valy
post May 18 2017, 12:09 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 11,573
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(slotty008 @ May 18 2017, 11:02 AM) *

Now that we are finally back online , I have an urgent question. I just finished repairing my rear brake calipers. The pistons were stuck so I carefully took hem out, cleaned everything up , changed the seals and the dustcaps and put them back together again.
Much easier than I thought it would be , also thanks to the excellent youtube video of PMB Performance. Since I live in Belgium it would have been too expensive to send them to PMB; The import duties when receiving it back are horrible.

But there was only one big problem. One of the bolts that keep the calipers together had broken off inside the caliper. ( by the PO) I managed to get the broken piece out with a left tap (wiggling very carefully) took me half an hour to get it out. So far , so good but I can't find a replacement bolt anywhere here in Europe. Even Porsche doesn't have them.
So if anyone could tell me where to find them (it's the smaller one of the two) I would be eternally thankful.

Yes, those 7mm bolts are NLA.
I have some but not sure what you need as different years had different ones.
Is it star or hexagon head?
What is the length?
+Quote Post
slotty008
post May 18 2017, 12:17 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(Valy @ May 18 2017, 08:09 PM) *

QUOTE(slotty008 @ May 18 2017, 11:02 AM) *

They are hexagon and 4,5 cm( that's 1,77 inch without the head)

Yes, those 7mm bolts are NLA.
I have some but not sure what you need as different years had different ones.
Is it star or hexagon head?
What is the length?

+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post May 18 2017, 12:47 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

Go here for brake problems. http://www.pmbperformance.com/catalog.html
+Quote Post
stugray
post May 18 2017, 01:09 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,819

You could check here:
https://www.belmetric.com/7mm-metric-hex-bo...-533_1426_1431/

Or see if PMB Performance can send you some
+Quote Post
slotty008
post May 18 2017, 01:27 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(stugray @ May 18 2017, 09:09 PM) *

You could check here:

I already sent them a mail. Just waiting for an answer.

And I think They have to have a tensile strenght of 12.9. The belmetrics are only 8.8.
+Quote Post
slotty008
post May 19 2017, 03:04 PM
Post #7

I finally found one on Ebay Germany. It's with an inside hex but at least it has the right spec's.
Now I can sleep again, but it's putting me back another week. Patience, patience, patience...
+Quote Post
Valy
post May 23 2017, 10:06 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 11,573
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(slotty008 @ May 18 2017, 12:27 PM) *

QUOTE(stugray @ May 18 2017, 09:09 PM) *

You could check here:

I already sent them a mail. Just waiting for an answer.

And I think They have to have a tensile strenght of 12.9. The belmetrics are only 8.8.

Just adding this note in case someone searches this: DON'T USE 8.8 7MM BOLTS ON THE BRAKES. THEY ARE ABOUT 50% OF THE REQUIRED STRENGTH.

If you can't find the right bolt then enlarge the hole to 8x1mm (fine thread) and those bolts are easily available in harder steel.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 12:46 PM