Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> RIP VIN 4762902521, 1976 Sunflower 2.0.. Barn Fire
dakotaewing
post May 18 2017, 06:26 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 897
Region Association: Southwest Region

Brian, my apologizes in advance.
The best piece of unsolicited advice I can give you is to expect this loss to take several months to resolve. It won't happen in 2 weeks, or a month.
More like 4-12 months, depending on how complete of an inventory you can provide the insurance adjuster, and if you can provide photos of the barn, and any of its contents prior to the fire.
The more documentation you provide, including inventory lists with age, and price, as well as photos will immensely help the adjusters involved.

QUOTE(Coondog @ May 18 2017, 06:00 PM) *

Remember there job is to play you the lowest amount while your job is to get the highest return.

It's to bad that Raby motor on the cart got melted in the fire.......... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Coon,
I, and others in the insurance biz take personal offense to such statements.
I have been an adjuster 7 years, worked for over a dozen different carriers, and NEVER have been told or instructed to pay the least amount possible.
It has always been pay what is owed, not less. If there is a question regarding what is owed on the adjusters side, and a reasonable investigation cannot make a determination,
usually more is paid than what appears to be reasonable.
Most adjusters, and most carriers seek a way to pay an insured all they are owed under the coverages on the policy.
There are a few bad apples, and that has to do with the carrier, more than the people who have the unfortunate luck of working for them.
The problem typically lies when a party expects to be put in a much better position than prior to the loss, or the insured / claimant overstates the obvious for financial gain.
Want to be reimbursed for the new $23K motor on the stand?
No problem, just provide proof of payment.
Paid cash? Really? No bank statements. Really?
That would not be considered reasonable... in other words - (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bs.gif)

I digress.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post May 18 2017, 06:55 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176
Region Association: None

Brian
Sorry for your loss....
Rory
+Quote Post
whitetwinturbo
post May 18 2017, 07:18 PM
Post #23

Honey, does this wing make my ass look fat?

Member No.: 13,704
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
914-300Hemi
post May 18 2017, 09:39 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 6,794
Region Association: Southern California

Sorry for your loss Brian.

What was the cause of the fire?
+Quote Post
Shadowfax
post May 19 2017, 07:51 AM
Post #25

Show us the meaning of haste

Member No.: 18,340
Region Association: South East States

Man, that stinks.
+Quote Post
N_Jay
post May 19 2017, 08:33 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 19,720

Sorry for your loss.
The only advice I have for the claim is to be NICE and to be FIRM, and to be NICE AND FIRM.

The adjuster is not getting a bonus for paying you less. He is human and deals with lots of AH clients, so if you are the NICE one you are making his job of helping you easier.

That said, be firm on your values. You have paid insurance for years, and there is no reason not to get a fair settlement.
+Quote Post
Brian Mifsud
post May 19 2017, 09:34 AM
Post #27

Mechanical Engineer

Member No.: 384

QUOTE(dakotaewing @ May 18 2017, 03:31 PM) *

Brian,

The car not being covered is typical for all policies, however,
some polices will cover parts to the car as personal property under the terms
of the policy, depending on the carrier.
Some carriers have set a limit as to how much in car parts they will cover.
Do not expect anything attached the car to be covered.
Your policy will have a limit for the building, and a separate limit for the contents in the building.
The Contents are referred to as schedule C,
and the building as schedule B.
Find out what your policy limits are, and get a good idea of what the carrier
is going to offer you prior to hiring a public adjuster (PA),
as suggested in the comment above.
If you are going to max out the policy limits,
there is no point in giving some of it to a PA.

Let me or Rick know if you have any questions, as we work in the biz -

Good Luck -

I was thinking about that since I had the engine and trans-axle pulled.. I can't find the trans at this point, but here is the engine:
Attached Image

Update.. Transaxle was found.. or rather puddle of magnesium and the ring+pinion & mainshaft.....
+Quote Post
Brian Mifsud
post May 19 2017, 10:00 AM
Post #28

Mechanical Engineer

Thanks to everyone for the sentiments and advice. Clearly nobody should become an expert on dealing with a situation like this.

I feel badly that there are measures I could have taken more seriously to prevent this fire but it was an accident.

Most of our "family stuff" is in the house and is fine.

I'm oddly feeling liberated. 20 years ago I dreamed of having a shop and space and time to take the 914 completely apart and restore it.

Having all my tools wiped out and the car itself is sort of like hitting a giant reset button on your life... I don't feel "obligated" anymore.. I don't HAVE to follow through.

Same deal with my love of wooden boats. Almost went to wooden boat building school
in New England right out of high school but Dad read me the riot act about having no income in a non-existent market and I'd better marry somebody with great income/benefits....... Anyhow, I had all the space, tools, and had been ferreting away choice lumber and bronze hardware (dumpster diving at boatyard) and was eventually going to start teaching the skills I've been developing since I was 15.

I CAN still follow through, but I don't HAVE to.. if you know what I mean.. it is an interesting time in my life.

Here is some more carnage...

Attached Image

Attached Image

The heat was unbelievable..... These I-beams were 3/8" thick by 6" wide and 16" tall in the web x 25' long... noodles...

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Brian Mifsud
post May 19 2017, 10:06 AM
Post #29

Mechanical Engineer

Dad's mill "before"....

Attached Image

Lathe...

Attached Image

Barn...

Attached Image

Attached Image

But it's all just STUFF that can be replaced.... .....NEXT!

+Quote Post
Brian Mifsud
post May 19 2017, 10:13 AM
Post #30

Mechanical Engineer

QUOTE(N_Jay @ May 19 2017, 07:33 AM) *

Sorry for your loss.
The only advice I have for the claim is to be NICE and to be FIRM, and to be NICE AND FIRM.

The adjuster is not getting a bonus for paying you less. He is human and deals with lots of AH clients, so if you are the NICE one you are making his job of helping you easier.

That said, be firm on your values. You have paid insurance for years, and there is no reason not to get a fair settlement.

Thanks for that reminder.. so far they've been very pleasant. I'm betting that State Farm bases their customer service centers in Georgia for a very clever reason.. no one can resist a pleasant polite southern accent....

My wife is also a GENIUS! She insured us not only for the standard depreciated value of items lost.. but we were also paying for the "Replacement Cost Coverage".. they explained that they will pay in two checks (State Farm). The first is the depreciated value of the item, the second will be the difference it takes to buy a new version so we are made 'whole'. The main obstacle I see is gathering evidence that I HAD all these items. My manuals for all my power tools are in the same binder, but likely consumed in the fire.. however I have tons of photos of stuff I've made/built, etc. which might work to convince an adjuster that I had to own the tool to do this....

+Quote Post
Brian Mifsud
post May 19 2017, 10:18 AM
Post #31

Mechanical Engineer

QUOTE(dakotaewing @ May 18 2017, 05:26 PM) *

The best piece of unsolicited advice I can give you is to expect this loss to take several months to resolve. It won't happen in 2 weeks, or a month.
More like 4-12 months, depending on how complete of an inventory you can provide the insurance adjuster, and if you can provide photos of the barn, and any of its contents prior to the fire.
The more documentation you provide, including inventory lists with age, and price, as well as photos will immensely help the adjusters involved.

I believed from the beginning this would take at least a year to figure out. I'd like to bulldoze the wreckage ASAP to a clean slab and am getting quotes so we are ready to go when its appropriate.

I've taken lots of photos of projects built with the tools, and there may be the odd chance it's in the background. I've already found my routers.. (well, its the motor rotors that remain.. all the aluminum/magnesium must have burnt)

There's is no mistaking the Milling Machine and Lathe, etc.

I'll check in if I start encountering too much friction if you don't mind.

Thanks for the advice!
+Quote Post
Brian Mifsud
post May 19 2017, 10:22 AM
Post #32

Mechanical Engineer

QUOTE(Edward Blume @ May 18 2017, 03:31 PM) *

but miracles can happen if you let people help you.

Besides, it may be a blessing in disguise. How were you planning to get a SBC 914 to pass smog in CA?

That small block was out of the 96 Z28 that was roasted also. My brother in law drove it for 90K miles and flattened a cam, then stored it for 12 years. He gave it to my 17 year old and that block is freshly back from the machine shop. Of course, he/we did not have the non-op car insured.

I think if I ever pick up the 914 habit again, I'd go with a high winding Subie.. I love the light weight feel of low powered cars and wringing their necks to make them handle....
+Quote Post
dakotaewing
post May 19 2017, 02:24 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 897
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Brian Mifsud @ May 19 2017, 11:18 AM) *

QUOTE(dakotaewing @ May 18 2017, 05:26 PM) *

I believed from the beginning this would take at least a year to figure out. I'd like to bulldoze the wreckage ASAP to a clean slab and am getting quotes so we are ready to go when its appropriate.

I've taken lots of photos of projects built with the tools, and there may be the odd chance it's in the background. I've already found my routers.. (well, its the motor rotors that remain.. all the aluminum/magnesium must have burnt)

There's is no mistaking the Milling Machine and Lathe, etc.

I'll check in if I start encountering too much friction if you don't mind.

Thanks for the advice!

Brian,

Don't do anything regarding the site until the adjuster has inspected the site physically,
And you have it in writing (usually email) that you can start the clean up. To do so prior will jeopardize your claim. Your policy clearly states the carrier reserves the right to inspect the loss, and there is no stated timeframe in the policy language when that has to occur. Try to have as much documentation regarding the contents at the time of that inspection, showing the damaged remnants of those objects if possible. This will expedite handling.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post May 19 2017, 02:28 PM
Post #34

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

Brian,

I know I am a few hours away, but if you need to borrow a mill or lathe or welding equipment you are free to come down and spend the day making chips or whatever you need to do.

So glad you are insured!
+Quote Post
Brian Mifsud
post May 24 2017, 10:35 AM
Post #35

Mechanical Engineer

Well I found the Trans-axle yesterday.. or rather the clutch yoke and the ring-gear assembly. Entire housing either melted away, or burnt. The trans-axle was on a bench near stack of lumber (more fuel). It had just been rebuilt after my son and I attended the last Dr Evil Clinic in Sonoma.

Any chance the guts of the Trans-axle are re-useable? Aluminum melts at 1200F. A fire hose may have doused this or it just cooled slowly.. no way of knowing.

Also, engine may be salvageable. Alternator burnt, but the sheet-metal may have protected the cylinder heads (engine was on the floor on a cart). Oil still in crankcase and is still clean so it didn't cook.
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post May 24 2017, 10:40 AM
Post #36

914 Guru

Member No.: 50
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Ouch, this thread is tough to read isn't it?

Maybe I need to up my coverage, even though my car is still in parts to-be put together in my garage.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post May 24 2017, 11:03 AM
Post #37

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Mueller @ May 19 2017, 01:28 PM) *

Brian,

I know I am a few hours away, but if you need to borrow a mill or lathe or welding equipment you are free to come down and spend the day making chips or whatever you need to do.

So glad you are insured!

And I'm right here in Petaluma, if I can help w/anything.
Chris
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post May 24 2017, 11:06 AM
Post #38

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

Sorry double post... apparently I really wanted you to know we're here for you!
+Quote Post
Brian Mifsud
post May 24 2017, 11:31 AM
Post #39

Mechanical Engineer

QUOTE(tygaboy @ May 24 2017, 10:06 AM) *

Sorry double post... apparently I really wanted you to know we're here for you!

Thank Chris.

Based on what the demolition contractors quote, I may be taking up Kevin O.s offer to rent a couple of 40 yard dumpsters and loaders and scrape the barn ourselves.

I'll let you know (thanks for offer).. comfortable driving a Bobcat?

We'll not remove anything until the personal property question is settled so I can at least point to a pile of ooze and say "yes, that was my brand spanking new hammer drill.. used once...".. etc.....

I just found my cache of '76 914 and 912e specific smog gear I'd been collecting from people who had no use for it. Might be salvageable.
+Quote Post
Brian Mifsud
post May 24 2017, 11:31 AM
Post #40

Mechanical Engineer

QUOTE(JmuRiz @ May 24 2017, 09:40 AM) *

Ouch, this thread is tough to read isn't it?

Maybe I need to up my coverage, even though my car is still in parts to-be put together in my garage.

Make sure the car is fully insured, even though it is not-operational
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 09:31 PM