Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> RIP VIN 4762902521, 1976 Sunflower 2.0.. Barn Fire
partwerks
post Dec 2 2019, 10:44 PM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,787

QUOTE(Brian Mifsud @ Dec 2 2019, 01:46 PM) *

Hello All,
Well it's been some time since I had a 914. That's all been sorted.. in review.. this happened in May 2017....

A big mess.. all tools, cars, materials, etc down the drain.. had to clean it all up myself as we were under insured....

The fire insurance WAS enough to buy materials and self-build.. so that was my only choice...

Legacy Post and Beam in Nebraska designed and built the "Kit".

Must be out of Fremont, NE?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JOEPROPER
post Dec 3 2019, 07:50 AM
Post #62

The answer is "no" unless you ask...

Member No.: 19,387
Region Association: North East States

Good luck with that barn build Brian. The fact that you're doing it yourself shows real character and drive. This sad story that you're fighting thru is inspiring and makes you realize that you can come back from great losses and if need be, you do it yourself. If I were on that side of the country, I'd come over and help. Looks like your focus is in the right place and a lot of the heavy lifting is done. I look forward to seeing this build come together. Good luck! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)
+Quote Post
ValcoOscar
post Dec 3 2019, 10:50 AM
Post #63

Garage Life

Member No.: 16,669
Region Association: Southern California

Brian-

Wishing you and your family a warm holiday season!!!! It's been cold down here.

I just shipped you a care package...just because (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Oscar

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Brian Mifsud
post Dec 3 2019, 11:55 AM
Post #64

Mechanical Engineer

Member No.: 384
Region Association: None

QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Dec 3 2019, 08:50 AM) *

Brian-

Wishing you and your family a warm holiday season!!!! It's been cold down here.

I just shipped you a care package...just because (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Oscar

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Attached Image

Wow Oscar... as I've mentioned before.. there are NO forums out there where people are KINDER than 914 World!

My favorite example.. years ago a G.I. had to move but could not afford to ship his 914.. so a bunch of Forum members kicked in and moved his car for him...

The fellowship (and my favorite) - horrible sense of humor - maintained here make this the BEST PLACE EVER!!!!

Thanks Again..

Brian
+Quote Post
Brian Mifsud
post Dec 3 2019, 11:59 AM
Post #65

Mechanical Engineer

QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Dec 2 2019, 08:43 PM) *

Wishing you good fortune with the new build. I know this is not the same, but we had a theft just after moving into my new house. Insurance co replaced everything... that I could remember, but several years later I found myself looking for that one specific tool... only find that I had forgotten I had it before the theft and never replaced it... Happened several times... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

The "emotions" only kick in when I wish I still had Dad's Bridgeport Mill, Enco Lathe...
and my Grandfathers.

I had to laugh when I was going through the store room at my wife's Yoga Studio... I'm come to discover she swiped my first hammer.. There is was, the first tool I bought, untouched.. talk about starting from scratch.

+Quote Post
Brian Mifsud
post Dec 3 2019, 12:29 PM
Post #66

Mechanical Engineer

QUOTE(JOEPROPER @ Dec 3 2019, 05:50 AM) *

Good luck with that barn build Brian. The fact that you're doing it yourself shows real character and drive. This sad story that you're fighting thru is inspiring and makes you realize that you can come back from great losses and if need be, you do it yourself. If I were on that side of the country, I'd come over and help. Looks like your focus is in the right place and a lot of the heavy lifting is done. I look forward to seeing this build come together. Good luck! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)

Hi Joe,

I can't complain. This fire happened in May 2017 during very high weird winds coming from the East instead of the Ocean. I basically caused it through stupidity so feel like a total idiot for allowing a hazard to happen. But I only lost my barn, and the possessions
inside. My kids lost old school work, toys, some family photos, etc.

Part of what drove me to "fix" it was the guilt of letting it happen.

But fast forward five months, and the high weird winds returned in October 2017 happened in Sonoma and Napa counties. An electrical fault somewhere in the system sparked it all and 80+ people lost their lives.

I had the LUXURY of sleeping in my own bed, and filling out Insurance Company Personal Property spreadsheets at my own computer in my own kitchen. I can't imagine where we'd be if this had spread to the house. 5000+ buildings were lost in the "Wine Country" fires so I feel VERY fortunate.

Also, NOW, Contractors can demand ANY price they want. The two quotes I received to rebuild the barn were $250/square foot!!! The local Barn Contractor was billing $50/square foot before the fires... This is an Ag. building with JUST walls and roof. No insulation, no drywall, no heating, no plumbing and scanty electrical.. I really had no choice but self build.

Anyhow, I actually ENJOY putting together this GIANT TINKER TOY SET!

Long term goal is find another decent 914 body and build it from scratch since they all need total tear down anyhow for a proper paint job.

I'm also going to be doing a fair bit of wooden boat building as this is my other passion, and my buddies want to help set up classes for wood working, metal working etc, sort of using this building as a "learning center".

Some 914 clinics might be fun to host as I'll have the space and a decent parking area similar to what McMark used to do at Original Customs in Sonoma before he moved to Minnesota.

+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 3 2019, 01:17 PM
Post #67

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Make sure you are insured for the classes. Even if it’s just your friends. Usually an umbrella policy will cover it but talk to your broker.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
flippa
post Dec 3 2019, 01:36 PM
Post #68

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,720
Region Association: North East States

Sorry for your loss.

Very nice build. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Dec 3 2019, 02:08 PM
Post #69

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

Heavy timber is unusual for CA, usually we see regular 2x stud/joist/truss framing. Barn looks great.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:36 PM