Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Valve guide position 1.7 liter heads, Cylinder head work
pgollender
post May 19 2017, 08:30 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,281
Region Association: Northern California

Attached Image
After hot tanking I noticed different lengths on my exhaust valve guides. Between the four exhaust guides ( two heads) the length of the top of the guide out of the head varied by 2 mm. Is this a problem or just sloppy work from P.O. ?
Does it matter ?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post May 19 2017, 09:32 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,139
Region Association: South East States

It is not easy to find pictures of cylinder heads without valves. But here is one.

looks different to me.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post May 19 2017, 07:04 PM
Post #3

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

They're driven in, check the seat side I bet they look like they're extra long.
Even the left hand exhaust guide looks like it's sunk in too far, could be just the angle.

Cause is likely they were loose and should have had OS guides.
Bad valve float can drive them in as well.

Surprised the boss isn't cracked.
They must be cored and driven out from the camber side, then see if they are salvageable.

Yes poor machine work and yes it does matter.
+Quote Post
HAM Inc
post May 19 2017, 07:52 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 6,499
Region Association: None

QUOTE(pgollender @ May 19 2017, 07:30 AM) *

Attached Image
After hot tanking I noticed different lengths on my exhaust valve guides. Between the four exhaust guides ( two heads) the length of the top of the guide out of the head varied by 2 mm. Is this a problem or just sloppy work from P.O. ?
Does it matter ?

The factoryguides didn't have shoulders. They'd slip down. Saw that a million times. It never hurt anything when they didn't slip down more than in the picture. Sometimes after slipping they would loosen further and start moving up and down in the guide bore. That would cause problems.

I can't tell if the exhaust guides are O.E., but they didn't have a shoulder either. They weren't as prone to slip as the intakes. The intake guide bores on the 1.7 are really short. The exhaust are pretty long, so the guides weren't as prone to slip.
+Quote Post
pgollender
post May 20 2017, 09:11 AM
Post #5

"They must be cored and driven out from the camber side, then see if they are salvageable."

Can you explain this comment a little more.
I understand the part about cored and driven out, but not the "salvagable" part of your comment.
I have never rebuilt 914 heads personally before, always had a machine shop do it for me.

The boss surfaces and intake surfaces look intact (no magnaflux test) . I can't see any visible cracks between intake and exhaust ports or to spark plug hole.
The current guides appear to be quite tight,and I can elicit no guide wobble within the bore itself.

Not sure how to test the angle of the guide.

Is there another step that requires evaluation of the guide bore hole that you are referring to ?
Also what is the correct finished height of the guides above the boss surface once installed ?
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post May 20 2017, 10:39 AM
Post #6

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(pgollender @ May 20 2017, 11:11 AM) *

"They must be cored and driven out from the camber side, then see if they are salvageable."

Can you explain this comment a little more.
I understand the part about cored and driven out, but not the "salvagable" part of your comment.
I have never rebuilt 914 heads personally before, always had a machine shop do it for me.

The boss surfaces and intake surfaces look intact (no magnaflux test) . I can't see any visible cracks between intake and exhaust ports or to spark plug hole.
The current guides appear to be quite tight,and I can elicit no guide wobble within the bore itself.

Not sure how to test the angle of the guide.

Is there another step that requires evaluation of the guide bore hole that you are referring to ?
Also what is the correct finished height of the guides above the boss surface once installed ?

Just take it to your machine shop, preferably one with aircooled engine knowledge.
As Len (HAM) said guide slippage and I said guides are sunk deeper than normal, so the guide must be removed, reamed and OS (oversize) guides installed.
Guides may appear "tight" to you, but as soon as the head is warm they are loose.
Sitting down flush like that is not normal.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post May 20 2017, 02:55 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

Sorry double post.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post May 20 2017, 03:01 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

then this (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
Attached Image
I have a 1.8 bus head that did this with minimal piston head damage ,how lucky is that ??
+Quote Post
pgollender
post May 21 2017, 08:38 AM
Post #9

[/quote]
Guides may appear "tight" to you, but as soon as the head is warm they are loose.
Sitting down flush like that is not normal.
[/quote]

Thanks Mark,
I didn't know that about the guides.
Understanding the problem helps me to evaluate the work expected from the machine shop or in the future when buying the next set of heads what to look out for. Or in case of failure, the etiology of the problem.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:28 AM