Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Improving performance in a 73 1.7 fuel injected, What can I do?
mpjedi23
post May 10 2005, 07:58 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,571

What can I do Short of dropping in A 2.0. I like the fuel injection and dont want to turn my good running car into a long expensive project.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mihai914
post May 10 2005, 08:04 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 3,697
Region Association: None

If the engine is running fine and seems to have some power, then there is nothing much you can do to improve the power without splitting the case. There is a big bore to bring it to 1.9 if I remmember correctly, but these engines are greatly limitated by the heads. If you add up all the money to get decent power out of the 1.7 you just might as well by a good used 2.0

You can get good stuff out of the engine but nothing really cheap and that's why most 914 people basically just throw them away at some point or another.

Mihai
+Quote Post
ChrisReale
post May 10 2005, 08:05 PM
Post #3

Sleazy

Member No.: 176

Engine performance, or handeling performance, or driver performance? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

As far as plug in and play performance upgrades, there are not much, but maybe seek out some 2.0L heat exchangers and a 2.0 muffler. They flow a bit better I believe. Suspension wise, I say get some 140# rear springs and a 19mm sway bar up front.
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post May 10 2005, 08:10 PM
Post #4

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

QUOTE (mpjedi23 @ May 10 2005, 05:58 PM)
What can I do Short of dropping in A 2.0. I like the fuel injection and dont want to turn my good running car into a long expensive project.

Lightened flywheel, Kerry Hunter Header $500 with muffler is cheap and good for at least 5 HP, if you are willing to spend more European Header is a better choice and still affordable (remeber you lose heat if you go with headers) , Fiberglass bumpers and hoods, pull anything you dont use off the car.
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post May 10 2005, 09:09 PM
Post #5

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

Gud tune up....headers....maybe a breakerless ignition to at least maintain the max HP....that;s about it...besides driving downhill a lot... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool_shades.gif) .

+Quote Post
skline
post May 10 2005, 09:24 PM
Post #6

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

Dream the impossible dream. Just drop the motor and go for a 6 or 8 conversion. That will give you the white knuckles. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post May 10 2005, 10:37 PM
Post #7

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Well, not much will add much hp other than a good header. Another thing to do is go to a smaller tire like a 205x50x15 size. That will change the gearing alot making the car quicker.

A really good tune up, checking the timing, valve adjustment ie will help too.
+Quote Post
mpjedi23
post May 10 2005, 10:38 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 3,571

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif) Im probably lokking at a 2.0 but the runs soo good right now. Ive installed front sway bars have good wheels am looking for a bolt for my rear sway bars. I was thinking about a fuel rail system but am not so shure what the benifit would be?
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post May 10 2005, 10:45 PM
Post #9

Aircooled Baby!

QUOTE (mpjedi23 @ May 10 2005, 08:38 PM)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif) Im probably lokking at a 2.0 but the runs soo good right now. Ive installed front sway bars have good wheels am looking for a bolt for my rear sway bars. I was thinking about a fuel rail system but am not so shure what the benifit would be?

Fuel rail system? Oh, that crap that is on Ebay, forget it as it will just lighten your wallet.
I see the nice rims but what size tires are you running? Looks like 195x65x15's or sumthing.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post May 10 2005, 10:56 PM
Post #10

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE (mpjedi23 @ May 10 2005, 09:38 PM)

Stay away from all "quick and easy" HP items on eBay (unless you see a set of headers at a good price)

None of the claims have been proven by the sellers unless you believe his claim of "it has to produce more HP, otherwise why would it be not allowed in a stock class for auto-x???"
...why, cause it's a stock class, it supposed to look stock as well as be stock...... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/headbang.gif)

Anyways......just be prepared to find out that our cars do not benifit from the usual "Honda" type bolt-ons for increased power.
+Quote Post
markb
post May 10 2005, 11:24 PM
Post #11

914less :(

Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE ("Z" @ May 10 2005, 07:09 PM)
Gud tune up....headers....maybe a breakerless ignition to at least maintain the max HP....that;s about it...besides driving downhill a lot... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool_shades.gif) .

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif)

Get everything working in top condition. My 1.7 was much more underpowered before putting the electronic ignition. I can't believe how much better it runs. Change out all the vac/fuel lines, filters, TPS, etc. Check the fuel pressure. Then, if (when) it still doesn't have enough power, think about a motor upgrade. But make yours run it's best first. Just my .02.
+Quote Post
HotRod
post May 11 2005, 07:22 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 142

I think Web-Cam offers a performance grind for street cars using FI, supposed to give good all around perfromance. I've got a 1.7 bottom end on the engine stand right now, I'm waiting for the cam to arrive so I can seal it up.
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post May 11 2005, 07:24 AM
Post #13

Aircooled Baby!

I just got a cam from Jake Raby that is a like a Web #73 but with a slight change hopefully for more hp.
+Quote Post
Michael J
post May 11 2005, 08:12 AM
Post #14

Welcome to 2007

Member No.: 3,166

I looked around a bit for performance upgrades for my fuel injected 1.7 and decided that there was nothing worth doing. Too much $ and not much bang for the $. I don't autoX so I'll just put up with a well tuned engine for awhile. I do have 185x65 tires which are larger than stock. Still look ok and I get a little better performance than the other stock guys with big 205's. Other than that I dream of a 6. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post May 11 2005, 08:24 AM
Post #15

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE (HotRod @ May 11 2005, 05:22 AM)
I think Web-Cam offers a performance grind for street cars using FI, supposed to give good all around perfromance. I've got a 1.7 bottom end on the engine stand right now, I'm waiting for the cam to arrive so I can seal it up.

The Web Cam "performance" EFI cam gets rid of the nice idle, makes LOTS of HCs, and generally doesn't do what you might think it does. BTDT, with tens of hours trying to make it work. The Cap'n
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post May 11 2005, 08:53 AM
Post #16

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

Yep....camming a 1.7 and or throwing on carbs is liking putting lipstick on a 90 year old hooker.

Waste of time....

The only GUD 1.7 upgrade I have seen was a CIS turbo application.....

Turbo or cubic inches....
+Quote Post
HotRod
post May 11 2005, 09:57 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 142

Cap'n, good info. I don't usually mess with street motors so I don't know what works or not...think using a stock cam would be better (or just as good) than the Web-cam EFI grind? If that's the case, I can seal that bad boy up tonight and get it out of the way. The car's for my wife so it doesn't have to be performance oriented, but she may want to use it in Solo II somewhere down the road.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 03:58 PM