Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> flywheel seals
JFG
post May 20 2017, 12:28 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,869
Region Association: None

Having bought a 914 flywheel for my w code motor i need to buy the correct seals to reassemble that area.

I have the large outer seal but looking on the parts catalogue there is a felt ring and i've also seen a large o ring advertised.

Can someone advise about this o ring, i see no place that one would sit and seal. Also the felt ring. Is 111 105 311 the same as 021105311?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Frankvw
post May 20 2017, 01:12 AM
Post #2

working on my first 914 !

Member No.: 19,896
Region Association: Europe

Yes...buy the o ring and feltring as well. Both really cheap. You MUST have the O ring. The felt ring is something you could run without if it was not available and the build is waiting. But it is a cheap part so do not skip it to save money (about 1 dollar). The engineers at VW/Porsche did not create the felt ring if not really needed so it has a (small) purpose. It creates a dustbarrier. Good luck !
+Quote Post
Tbrown4x4
post May 20 2017, 04:48 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 17,338

The o-ring sits in a groove in the flywheel where it goes over the end of the crank.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post May 20 2017, 03:38 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(Frankvw @ May 20 2017, 07:12 PM) *

Yes...buy the o ring and feltring as well. Both really cheap. You MUST have the O ring. The felt ring is something you could run without if it was not available and the build is waiting. But it is a cheap part so do not skip it to save money (about 1 dollar). The engineers at VW/Porsche did not create the felt ring if not really needed so it has a (small) purpose. It creates a dustbarrier. Good luck !

Hhhhhmmm,I thought the felt ring kept the lubricant in the input shaft bearing,not sure now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) .
+Quote Post
JFG
post May 20 2017, 03:44 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 19,869

[/quote]

Hhhhhmmm,I thought the felt ring kept the lubricant in the input shaft bearing,not sure now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) .
[/quote]

Out of curiosity what grease do people use on the bearing?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:17 PM