Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914/6 Flywheel
paintracer1
post May 20 2017, 11:05 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,957
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I bought the Kennedy conversion flywheel to use a 901-914 trans on my 2.7/6 cylinder engine. When i bolted it up to my engine i could not turn the engine over. The flywheel is rubbing the the case halves where the two bottom case bolts are-( I'll call it the webbing of the case. Has anyone eles had this problem? or yes its a very tight clearence between the flywheel and case. I filed the case down a little- made it flat instead of being curved seems to be working with out taking to much material off. Any insight into this would be appreciated. Thanks
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post May 20 2017, 11:34 AM
Post #2

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Best to phone KEP and get their opinion.
If it's a common issue they know about it.
+Quote Post
Steve
post May 20 2017, 11:43 AM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

I used a stock 2.0 six flywheel on my 2.7s motor with carbs and headers. Never had a problem with clutch slippage or longevity issues. Stock clutch is easier and smoother to press than the 228mm stage 2 kep bus clutch. I dragged race this motor on the avenue and countless auto crosses. Never had a problem. I don't condone drag racing on the avenue, but I was much younger and stupid in the 80's. Loved beating 911's and old vettes on the street. They loved picking on 914's. Six conversions in the 80's were rare.

I agree though.. call kep. Great customer service. I used there adapter ring on my 3.2 with there stage 2 clutch. Never tried there whole flywheel
+Quote Post
db9146
post May 22 2017, 07:01 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 3,315
Region Association: None

Really? I had this exact same problem I experienced with my set-up ('74 911S engine with their 228MM Stage 1 bus kit) at the end of last year. I backed off on the bolts until I could turn the engine over and then rotated it several times. Then I took it off, marked the areas on the back of the flywheel and took photos of the back of the engine and flywheel, emailed the photos, and called them. After discussing it, I sent the flywheel back to them for further machining. When I got it back, it fit properly. I thought they were going to correct the problem but I guess they haven't.

Actually, they had to machine a second one for me because the original one that they machined and sent to me got "lost in the mail" so they had to make me a second one.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:28 PM