Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rear Trunk opening, Solenoid not working
Robnxious
post May 20 2017, 11:43 AM
Post #1

RobnxiousOne

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,097
Region Association: Northern California

When I had my car wrapped the kids who did it did something to the rear trunk release and I am going in there today. So actually I can hear the solenoid triggering but it's not open, and I will fix that when I am in there. I have read the posts on here and have a pretty good idea how to do it, and have the proper tools. Just want to verify with anyone who has gotten into the rear trunk through the engine compartment.

1) I am assuming you go through the holes that are covered by the plastic caps (guessing strut holes), but how does one who is, shall we say "not as svelte" get in there to get the ratchet back there

2) I have also read about drilling a hole beneath the solenoid and triggering the release that way (Which I am thinking about doing, since I need to put the idiot release in since the DAPO didn't but a failsafe on it).

Anyone got any suggestions since I want to not only get into it today, but also put my new chrome bumpers and bumper tops on this weekend, and I know I need to get into the trunk to do the rear bumper

Thanks in advance
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post May 20 2017, 12:07 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,707
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Robnxious @ May 20 2017, 11:43 AM) *

When I had my car wrapped the kids who did it did something to the rear trunk release and I am going in there today. So actually I can hear the solenoid triggering but it's not open, and I will fix that when I am in there. I have read the posts on here and have a pretty good idea how to do it, and have the proper tools. Just want to verify with anyone who has gotten into the rear trunk through the engine compartment.

1) I am assuming you go through the holes that are covered by the plastic caps (guessing strut holes), but how does one who is, shall we say "not as svelte" get in there to get the ratchet back there

2) I have also read about drilling a hole beneath the solenoid and triggering the release that way (Which I am thinking about doing, since I need to put the idiot release in since the DAPO didn't but a failsafe on it).

Anyone got any suggestions since I want to not only get into it today, but also put my new chrome bumpers and bumper tops on this weekend, and I know I need to get into the trunk to do the rear bumper

Thanks in advance

Have someone hold the button while you press down on the trunk lid, Be sure not to push too hard on the flat surface. Press on the rounded section. On my old car, I ran a wire down through the trunk floor and an emergency release because of this problem.
+Quote Post
Robnxious
post May 20 2017, 12:54 PM
Post #3

RobnxiousOne

[/quote]
Have someone hold the button while you press down on the trunk lid, Be sure not to push too hard on the flat surface. Press on the rounded section. On my old car, I ran a wire down through the trunk floor and an emergency release because of this problem.
[/quote]

Yeah, already tried that, which is what I had to do on occasion before. I think they set the solenoid too high, so it's not releasing the latch. I can hear it triggering, but even when pushing on the trunk it won't release. Trust me, the LAST thing I want to do is to have to go into it the way I am, I have been putting this off for about a month or so now.

They also biffed the front trunk, but I got that open and took out the slack in the cable and it opens great now, so I can't stow anything in back, but I can get gas! LOL

Worse case scenario, I am having a new engine put in the car in a few weeks, so I am sure my mechanic will be more than happy to charge me an idiot tax to open it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Thanks for the help though
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post May 20 2017, 01:20 PM
Post #4

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Robnxious @ May 20 2017, 12:43 PM) *

Thanks in advance

In response to item 1)

however many extensions you have to put together to reach back there from the opening in the engine bay and a 10mm swivel socket. Unscrew the two bolts that hold the lower latch assembly. OR....... if you can get a long stiff wire in there an reach the lever on the solenoid to try and pull down on it.

Either way it is a big PITA to do. Once open add a wire and drill a hole in the trun floor and drop the wire through there.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
oakdalecurtis
post May 20 2017, 01:25 PM
Post #5

Oakdalecurtis

Member No.: 18,802
Region Association: Central California

I have a rear reflector lens, so I can not use the original push button. I STRONGLY suggest the you add a small cable attached to the release arm in the trunk and run it through a small hole in the bottom of the trunk. Have the cable end up where it cannot be seen from the back of the car, and put a small pull tip on it, see pictures. I guarantee that at some point the solenoid will stick or the battery is too low and it will not release the trunk lid when you need it most. The cable is a backup that you can always use to open the trunk.

Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Robnxious
post May 20 2017, 01:30 PM
Post #6

RobnxiousOne

[/quote]

In response to item 1)

however many extensions you have to put together to reach back there from the opening in the engine bay and a 10mm swivel socket. Unscrew the two bolts that hold the lower latch assembly. OR....... if you can get a long stiff wire in there an reach the lever on the solenoid to try and pull down on it.

Either way it is a big PITA to do. Once open add a wire and drill a hole in the trun floor and drop the wire through there.
[/quote]

Yeah, I am gathering it's a huge PITA, and yes, the idiot release will be added as soon as it's open. Guess the one thing I need is the swivel socket (which I was wondering about due to the angle)

Thanks!
+Quote Post
Robnxious
post May 20 2017, 01:32 PM
Post #7

RobnxiousOne

QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ May 20 2017, 12:25 PM) *

I have a rear reflector lens, so I can not use the original push button. I STRONGLY suggest the you add a small cable attached to the release arm in the trunk and run it through a small hole in the bottom of the trunk. Have the cable end up where it cannot be seen from the back of the car, and put a small pull tip on it, see pictures. I guarantee that at some point the solenoid will stick or the battery is too low and it will not release the trunk lid when you need it most. The cable is a backup that you can always use to open the trunk.

Yeah, I know, one of those things that I meant to do after I bought it in November, but since it always opened for me I didn't stress too badly on it now. What is it they say about best laid plans? Thanks for posting those pics since I wasn't too sure on how it connected into the solenoid.
+Quote Post
larryM
post May 20 2017, 11:18 PM
Post #8

emoze

Member No.: 65

since you have the rear reflector - it is relatively simple

- just drill a 1/8 or 5/32 hole exactly at the top center of the S in P-O-R-S-C-H-E

- push a long thin ground off tiny screwdriver thru it & it will hit the oem lever

i keep a "push-driver" for that in my car at all times

if you are at the Yosemite concours tomorrow - you can look at mine

good luck
+Quote Post
rjames
post May 21 2017, 12:19 AM
Post #9

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

No need to drill any holes. Get a long enough 'utensil' (I think I used a steel rod)and you can fish it through the engine bay into the trunk and pop the latch. It'll take a bit of trial and error, but it's totally doable. Took me about 20 minutes to get the trunk open when my solenoid died.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post May 21 2017, 08:35 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,707
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I always wanted to make a hinged license plate holder and use it to pull a wire to open the trunk. I had planned on using magnets to keep the plate holder in a closed position. That car is gone so that project never came about
+Quote Post
Robnxious
post May 21 2017, 11:01 AM
Post #11

RobnxiousOne

QUOTE(larryM @ May 20 2017, 10:18 PM) *

since you have the rear reflector - it is relatively simple

- just drill a 1/8 or 5/32 hole exactly at the top center of the S in P-O-R-S-C-H-E

- push a long thin ground off tiny screwdriver thru it & it will hit the oem lever

i keep a "push-driver" for that in my car at all times

if you are at the Yosemite concours tomorrow - you can look at mine

good luck

Thanks Larry, I will do this, and I won't be making it to the concours since while I was out yesterday, my starter decided to give up the ghost. Luckily I have a working spare here, but need to get that done today.
+Quote Post
Robnxious
post May 21 2017, 11:46 AM
Post #12

RobnxiousOne

Larry, that worked like a charm!. Took like 30 seconds. For anyone else who is looking for this in the future, instead of grinding down a flathead screwdriver, I just used one of my allen keys that has a handle on it.
+Quote Post
larryM
post May 22 2017, 10:04 AM
Post #13

emoze

Member No.: 65

good news!

QUOTE(Robnxious @ May 21 2017, 10:46 AM) *

Larry, that worked like a charm!. Took like 30 seconds. For anyone else who is looking for this in the future, instead of grinding down a flathead screwdriver, I just used one of my allen keys that has a handle on it.

here's a picture

Attached Image
+Quote Post
burton73
post May 22 2017, 11:09 AM
Post #14

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

If you go this route?, place masking tape over the area where you will be drilling so the plastic will not scratch the rear Porsche lens when it spins on the drill. The reflector is very soft and scratches easily. Go very slow with a smaller bit then go to your end size. Take at easy.

Bob B
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:59 PM