Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Awww crap!, coupler crumbs
anderssj
post May 21 2017, 09:47 AM
Post #1

Dog is my copilot...

Group: Members
Member No.: 207
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Took the car out for a little dawn patrol run this AM. The first time I upshift to fourth, it is really in neutral . . . that's odd. A little later, down-shifting to third got me fifth . . . weird, but it now has my attention. OK, time to head back to the barn--don't want to be stranded on the side of the road at 7AM on a SUN morning. Once I had the car back in the garage, I peeled back the boot that covers the shift linkage coupler near the firewall:

Attached Image

coupler crumbs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I guess I get to try fixing something different.

After reading the threads here, it looks like my options are using OEM bushings (with the "oblong holes"), or the after-market ("round-hole") bushings from JWest, brass bushings (not sure if these are still available), or a universal joint (by upgrading the whole linkage using Racer Chris' side-shift kit).

Right now I'm leaning towards the JWest side shift bushing kit (which includes the coupler bushings), and replacing all of the other shifter bushings at the same time. On the other hand, the Tangerine Racing spherical firewall bearing for the shift rod looks like it may be a good idea . . . .

Your thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your insights, BTDTs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post May 21 2017, 09:52 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Replacing all the bushings with any of the options will give you a much better shifting experience. Choose whichever option fits your budget, but JWest and Racer Chris make nice stuff if you don't want stock.
+Quote Post
maf914
post May 21 2017, 12:49 PM
Post #3

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632
Region Association: None

Classic shift rod coupler bushing failure. Total disintegration with age. Mine did that in the early 90's. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Replace all of the bushings and you will be impressed with the improved shifting.

Some other options include brass bushings for the coupler from Pelican Parts or Ebay. There is also an aftermarket brass bushing for the rear transmission console (in lieu of the stock plastic bushing). I have one that I bought from Pelican in the past, but I don't see it on their site now. It appears Ebay has it.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperC...T_pg2.htm#item4

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&a...amp;_sacat=6000
+Quote Post
porschetub
post May 21 2017, 07:09 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(maf914 @ May 22 2017, 06:49 AM) *

Classic shift rod coupler bushing failure. Total disintegration with age. Mine did that in the early 90's. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Replace all of the bushings and you will be impressed with the improved shifting.

Some other options include brass bushings for the coupler from Pelican Parts or Ebay. There is also an aftermarket brass bushing for the rear transmission console (in lieu of the stock plastic bushing). I have one that I bought from Pelican in the past, but I don't see it on their site now. It appears Ebay has it.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperC...T_pg2.htm#item4

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&a...amp;_sacat=6000

I'am using the rear brass bush but be aware it won't fit straight in,you need to open out the hole in the console a bit to get it in.
Its a cheap long term fix because the stock plastic bush isn't a very good fit.
+Quote Post
Porschef
post May 21 2017, 07:31 PM
Post #5

How you doin'

Member No.: 12,152
Region Association: North East States

Get Chris' firewall bushing. Simple to install, and eliminates a good amount of the cumulative slop
+Quote Post
Vysoc
post May 22 2017, 08:23 AM
Post #6

Vysoc

Member No.: 10,737
Region Association: South East States

Very normal problem, when this happened to my 75, I ordered the shift coupler kit from Pelican.
The brass piece had already been changed on the rear, my main issue was the crumbling of the plastic bushing at the firewall. I dropped the new plastic bushing from Pelican in boiling water for 2-3 minutes and this allowed me to push in the bushing easily. I put everything back together and had the best shifting 914 I have ever experienced.
It took 2 hours and the kit was $43.00.

Happy camper,
Vysoc (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post May 22 2017, 08:31 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

Use the Tangerine part on the firewall, bronze bushing in the side shift box, and new plastic cup in the far rear coupler.

All easy fixes, it will take you about an hour to do.
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post May 22 2017, 08:40 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,139
Region Association: South East States

I did not see anyone mention getting new cone screws. Word is that they are 1 time use items. I remember reading something about NOT using lock-tight.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post May 22 2017, 11:25 AM
Post #9

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Jwest cone screws.
+Quote Post
anderssj
post May 22 2017, 11:45 AM
Post #10

Dog is my copilot...

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'll be putting the car up on ramps later and see how everything looks. I think there's already a bronze bushing at the transmission end of the shift linkage. I also have a couple of new cone screws (somewhere--will look for those this PM).

My current plan is to use the JWest plastic coupler bushings and the Tangerine firewall bushing.

As I understand it, if I don't open up the front shift rod clamping bolt (below the gear shift lever), I should be able to put the coupler/rear shift rod back in without a major linkage readjustment.

Thanks again for the help!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post May 22 2017, 12:09 PM
Post #11

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

QUOTE(anderssj @ May 21 2017, 08:47 AM) *

Took the car out for a little dawn patrol run this AM. The first time I upshift to fourth, it is really in neutral . . . that's odd. A little later, down-shifting to third got me fifth . . . weird, but it now has my attention. OK, time to head back to the barn--don't want to be stranded on the side of the road at 7AM on a SUN morning. Once I had the car back in the garage, I peeled back the boot that covers the shift linkage coupler near the firewall:

Attached Image

coupler crumbs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I guess I get to try fixing something different.

After reading the threads here, it looks like my options are using OEM bushings (with the "oblong holes"), or the after-market ("round-hole") bushings from JWest, brass bushings (not sure if these are still available), or a universal joint (by upgrading the whole linkage using Racer Chris' side-shift kit).

Right now I'm leaning towards the JWest side shift bushing kit (which includes the coupler bushings), and replacing all of the other shifter bushings at the same time. On the other hand, the Tangerine Racing spherical firewall bearing for the shift rod looks like it may be a good idea . . . .

Your thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your insights, BTDTs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

Actually made a redesigned OEM version that is not so oblong. Fits much better. They are correctly toleranced. Offered up a set for free if you want to try.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...l=shift+knuckle

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
anderssj
post May 22 2017, 03:53 PM
Post #12

Dog is my copilot...

Wow, THANKS! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

I'll contact you via PM.

Thanks again!

BTW, I installed your foglight grills and euro signal lenses last week--VERY nice work, the new grills make a huge difference!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:55 PM