Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Awww crap!, coupler crumbs
anderssj
post May 21 2017, 09:47 AM
Post #1

Dog is my copilot...

Group: Members
Member No.: 207
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Took the car out for a little dawn patrol run this AM. The first time I upshift to fourth, it is really in neutral . . . that's odd. A little later, down-shifting to third got me fifth . . . weird, but it now has my attention. OK, time to head back to the barn--don't want to be stranded on the side of the road at 7AM on a SUN morning. Once I had the car back in the garage, I peeled back the boot that covers the shift linkage coupler near the firewall:

Attached Image

coupler crumbs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I guess I get to try fixing something different.

After reading the threads here, it looks like my options are using OEM bushings (with the "oblong holes"), or the after-market ("round-hole") bushings from JWest, brass bushings (not sure if these are still available), or a universal joint (by upgrading the whole linkage using Racer Chris' side-shift kit).

Right now I'm leaning towards the JWest side shift bushing kit (which includes the coupler bushings), and replacing all of the other shifter bushings at the same time. On the other hand, the Tangerine Racing spherical firewall bearing for the shift rod looks like it may be a good idea . . . .

Your thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your insights, BTDTs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 07:56 AM