Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> new update on the porscharu
scotty914
post May 10 2005, 09:44 PM
Post #1

suby torque rules

Group: Members
Member No.: 924

well it looks like it was not my alt that went bad, but my 3 month old battery. when i thought the alt went up i disonnected the wire for the dash light, which i thought was the exciter wire as well. it turns out that the wire is not needed for the alt to charge.

tonight i tried to charge the battery with a charger. after an hour at 6 amps the battery still had no charge, and the charger was hot to the touch. i mean showing below 0%.

when it started acting funny was after i slowed from 75 to 0 on an off ramp, i thought before it was just a chance or maybe the brake lights did it. i wonder if my wally world battery did not enjoy a 6500 mile ride in a 914
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
redshift
post May 10 2005, 10:02 PM
Post #2

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

That sure is a nice install you did.

M
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post May 10 2005, 10:03 PM
Post #3

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5
Region Association: None

Get a known good battery that tests 12.5v at rest....hook it into the system and start it up....13.0v at idle.....2500 rpms, no more than 14.5.....

Sounds like you may have cooked it...my guess your alt is putting TOO much out....
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post May 10 2005, 10:13 PM
Post #4

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

I had a stuck regulator and cooked 3 batteries last year.
+Quote Post
scotty914
post May 10 2005, 10:45 PM
Post #5

suby torque rules

Member No.: 924

well at rest i only had 12.1 volts running i had 12.5 when i reved it, it went up to 12.6. that is what made me think the alt was dead, but after a time ont eh charger it did not take any charge

and i had to bump start it the last time, i tried jumping the starter out and only got little sparks, from either the battery being discharged or dead totally. also i dont have a voltage reg on the relay board. when the tow truck showed up he put a booster pack on it to try to start it and it only sparked real big when he hooked it up and still no start, i think the battery is shorted

and z i will be returning the battery in the next few days so i will have a good battery to test with.

also miles thanks
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post May 10 2005, 10:57 PM
Post #6

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

I don't have the regulator on the board either. I have a Bosch unit from a Volvo. The regulator is built in. Your Suby unit most likely has a built in reg too. Could be fried. In any event you'll know more after you get a fresh battery. Good luck. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wavey.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 03:35 PM