Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Horn Problem, Horn doesn't work
capitolatim
post May 21 2017, 05:53 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,841
Region Association: Northern California

My car has a after market Carrera wheel. Horn tests good on a battery, power is there to the horn lead, ground test good to connector #5, when I ground the horn pluncher wire to the wheel the horn sounds , weak, and the wire sparks...any ideas?

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post May 21 2017, 06:20 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Bad horn.
+Quote Post
capitolatim
post May 21 2017, 06:36 PM
Post #3

No horn tests good, and the new horn didn't work.
+Quote Post
Rand
post May 21 2017, 06:39 PM
Post #4

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

He said horn tests good on battery. Has to be wiring. That sounds too obvious, I know. Sorry.

This is where my first 10-second shot would be running jumpers from the hot wire and ground point in the column to a horn on the side and see if it works differently. Process of elimination, then wire tracing.
+Quote Post
oakdalecurtis
post May 21 2017, 08:15 PM
Post #5

Oakdalecurtis

Member No.: 18,802
Region Association: Central California

I would be concerned that in your picture, the wire from your horn relay to your horn button is red. On my car and on the Pelican wiring diagram, the wire from the horn button, H, to the horn relay, J4, is shown as brown with a white stripe . What color is the wire at pin 85 on your horn relay, should be brown with white stripe? If it's the same red as at your wheel, check it's continuity to the horn button. If that wire is correct, then check continuity on the black wire with yellow stripe that goes from the pin 87 on the horn relay to power the horn. The brown wire on the horn itself is ground.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
r_towle
post May 21 2017, 09:50 PM
Post #6

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

I believe its a grounding issue behind he wheel.
Take it off and take a look at the contact that the red wire is using on the metal ring on the back side of that wheel hub.

That is how it gets its ground, so it needs to be a great connection, and super clean.

its two rings, one wire from below (brown/white) to the lower ring, and your red lead is connected to the upper ring.

rich
+Quote Post
porschetub
post May 21 2017, 10:49 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

QUOTE(r_towle @ May 22 2017, 03:50 PM) *

Take it off and take a look at the contact that the red wire is using on the metal ring on the back side of that wheel hub.

That is how it gets its ground, so it needs to be a great connection, and super clean.

its two rings, one wire from below (brown/white) to the lower ring, and your red lead is connected to the upper ring.

rich

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) appears to be a short there,maybe the contact ring isn't right,but we don't know if its a stock one or Lecarra one depends on the boss used of course.
Just fitted momo adaptor and other aftermarket wheel,touch the horn wire to the wheel and all is load and clear.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
capitolatim
post May 22 2017, 09:04 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ May 21 2017, 06:15 PM) *

I would be concerned that in your picture, the wire from your horn relay to your horn button is red. On my car and on the Pelican wiring diagram, the wire from the horn button, H, to the horn relay, J4, is shown as brown with a white stripe . What color is the wire at pin 85 on your horn relay, should be brown with white stripe? If it's the same red as at your wheel, check it's continuity to the horn button. If that wire is correct, then check continuity on the black wire with yellow stripe that goes from the pin 87 on the horn relay to power the horn. The brown wire on the horn itself is ground.
Attached Image

Thanks for reply, I don't think 1970's have a relay. Here's a photo of the contact ring.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
capitolatim
post May 22 2017, 09:07 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(porschetub @ May 21 2017, 08:49 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ May 22 2017, 03:50 PM) *

rich

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) appears to be a short there,maybe the contact ring isn't right,but we don't know if its a stock one or Lecarra one depends on the boss used of course.
Just fitted momo adaptor and other aftermarket wheel,touch the horn wire to the wheel and all is load and clear.

Thanks, better photos here;
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-914...ring-wheel.html

+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post May 22 2017, 11:12 AM
Post #10

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

Up through 72 or 73 the horn does not have a relay. Power gets sent to the horn full-time, and the wire in the center column provides the ground.

Getting a spark from the connection says that some wiring is very funky, but I don't know how that wire is run. Trace it and look for connections. Those could be weak or dirty.

--DD
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:31 PM