Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Reverse grinding, please confirm the cause
malcolm2
post May 21 2017, 06:06 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,139
Region Association: South East States

IIRC when reverse grinds, it is probably caused by the clutch cable, right?

Stretching a bit or the nuts loosened up? And of course the dreaded tube.... but lets not go there yet.

Have I remembered correctly?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
ejm
post May 21 2017, 07:30 PM
Post #2

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel

Member No.: 224
Region Association: None

Grinding in reverse happens because either the car is still rolling or the mainshaft is still turning. Mainshaft turning could be due to several things including bad clutch adjustment for one mentioned reasons, a warped clutch disc, pilot bearing seizing or not waiting for thin gear oil to slow the mainshaft before trying to engage reverse.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Peashooter
post May 22 2017, 07:49 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 13,903
Region Association: None

QUOTE(ejm @ May 21 2017, 09:30 PM) *

Grinding in reverse happens because either the car is still rolling or the mainshaft is still turning. Mainshaft turning could be due to several things including bad clutch adjustment for one mentioned reasons, a warped clutch disc, pilot bearing seizing or not waiting for thin gear oil to slow the mainshaft before trying to engage reverse.

All true. Check you're adjustment first, then check that the clutch pedal travel limiter hasn't slipped down limiting the travel. My car needed the clutch release arm shimmed out due to the arm hitting the case. You have to pull the gearbox but it is an easy fix. Hope it isn't the clutch tube but I think that is not the norm.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 01:37 PM