Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Window adjustments, Seals not aligning with the window
North Coast Jim
post May 22 2017, 02:55 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,450
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

The project Scarecrow is coming down to the finish line. Being a Scarecrow we've had to source many parts that were not on the car as sold originally. The Barn Find having been picked clean as a parts donor over the years. Couldn't pass up a 25 year old rust free shell, a 74 2L, and the rest is history. There was No rust on this shell and all the original seam sealer is intact. Original battery tray too. Hell hole is a sight to admire nothing but dust here. I see no evidence of any sheet metal work having been done. Car is straight in all respects.

Car is running but one of the last items to complete is to add the seals around both roll up windows inclusive of the seal at the top as part of the removable targa top. I've been at this for over a week now and no amount of reading posts on World, reviewing the Haynes manual or other sources of information has gotten me any closer to a solution. I provide a few pics. The B pillar seems to be too forward at the base and not tall enough at the top. I can see light at the rubber cap fitting at the top. Tried to capture it one of the pics. With the window rolled up all the way there is a gap to the targa top seal of about 1/4". It doesn't even come close. No amount of adjustment gets me any closer. I'm using 914 Rubber seals exclusively.

I've read where are there are a couple different targa top types. Are there differences in the top at to the top of the door window ?? Has the track that hold the seal ever been shimmed moving it down toward the top of the window. What about the B pillar ?? Are there different lengths and mounting styles ?? Top of door gap is larger then elsewhere. Don't think plays in the problem and again no amount of adjustment gets this gap minimized.

Any other suggestions for me. This is frustrating. By the way I hope to have this car at the Stoddard's swap meet June 4th. 100 mile drive an a fresh rebuild. Hope it doesn't rain. Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mgphoto
post May 22 2017, 03:25 PM
Post #2

"If there is a mistake it will find me"

Member No.: 10,225
Region Association: Southern California

Look closely at your first photo, the rubber cap on the vertical guide is not sitting flush on the front of the guide, seems the cap is tilting and not letting the seal sit flush. The lower guide attachment, the one that allows you to move the top of the window in or out is slotted, so fixing the position of the cap and pulling the guide lower adjustment rearward should make the vent window fit flush with the seal.
Do you have a photo of the window and seal at the sail plane?
Mike
+Quote Post
Rand
post May 22 2017, 03:47 PM
Post #3

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

There are definitely differences in fit between the early and late targa tops. Not sure that's your issue, but throwing it out there in case.
+Quote Post
914_teener
post May 22 2017, 04:18 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
IIRC...the cap is retained by a screw.

+Quote Post
SirAndy
post May 22 2017, 05:50 PM
Post #5

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Rand @ May 22 2017, 02:47 PM) *
There are definitely differences in fit between the early and late targa tops.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=73129

Also, there is adjustment in the windows (both main and triangle) as well as in all of the seals.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
+Quote Post
basenji7
post May 22 2017, 09:10 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 1,953

I have what looks to be an early top that is in excellent condition on my '74 and I need to trade for a late model top in like condition. I can add some better pictures tomorrow. I just did a quick wipe down as it's been sitting collecting dust for some time.

Attached Image Attached ImageAttached Image
+Quote Post
North Coast Jim
post May 24 2017, 10:18 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(mgphoto @ May 22 2017, 05:25 PM) *

Look closely at your first photo, the rubber cap on the vertical guide is not sitting flush on the front of the guide, seems the cap is tilting and not letting the seal sit flush. The lower guide attachment, the one that allows you to move the top of the window in or out is slotted, so fixing the position of the cap and pulling the guide lower adjustment rearward should make the vent window fit flush with the seal.
Mike

Thanks Mike for the input. To answer your question I had one hell of a time getting the triangle windows into the seal and then get them into the door/B pillar. Ended up using packaging tape wrapping the window around the B Pillar and assy the cap with the screws in an attempt to hold it in place. The cap has two screws and they fit into thru holes on the top of the B Pillar. There are no slots for any vertical adjustment. The slight difference between the cap and the top of the B Pillar is the result of the assy of the window seal at the base, that is into the top of the door. The window wants to move vertically upward. It took massive muscle and a ton of soapy water along with Mother Natures abundant sunshine to heat everything up to get to this point. The assy tends to push the triangle window up putting stress on the cap - as you see. I've seen many 914's with the cap askew like this one. Don't know if it is a cause of my current situation but don't believe so.
Still fighting this issue
+Quote Post
North Coast Jim
post May 24 2017, 11:29 AM
Post #8

So a review using Sir Andys posted pictorial description

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=73129

shows that I have an early top on a late car. Worse yet also have an early rubber "bumper" on the pass side and a late on the other. Also and this didn't show up in the early/late Targa top post but there seems to also be different receivers/catches that are mounted on the roll bar top. I measured about .150" difference in the two (.300"-.150"). This is measuring just the depth to the two sides of the catch. Seems this hoghe podge of parts are not compatible. Also it shows that the top is too high especially in the pass side where the early rubber bumper is, therefore not meeting the window producing gaps and not making the seal.
It still seems probable that the later tops "step" as called out in the post also helps to produce the gap and hence no seal.
Now if only I knew the "step" height I could make a spacer under the channel for the top window seal. Hmmm.
+Quote Post
914_teener
post May 24 2017, 12:01 PM
Post #9

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489

QUOTE(North Coast Jim @ May 24 2017, 09:18 AM) *

Mike

Thanks Mike for the input. To answer your question I had one hell of a time getting the triangle windows into the seal and then get them into the door/B pillar. Ended up using packaging tape wrapping the window around the B Pillar and assy the cap with the screws in an attempt to hold it in place. The cap has two screws and they fit into thru holes on the top of the B Pillar. There are no slots for any vertical adjustment. The slight difference between the cap and the top of the B Pillar is the result of the assy of the window seal at the base, that is into the top of the door. The window wants to move vertically upward. It took massive muscle and a ton of soapy water along with Mother Natures abundant sunshine to heat everything up to get to this point. The assy tends to push the triangle window up putting stress on the cap - as you see. I've seen many 914's with the cap askew like this one. Don't know if it is a cause of my current situation but don't believe so.

I had this same problem when I did my drivers side vent window seal.

While Mark did a great job producing this part....the assembly of this is TOTALLY logic dependent for a good outcome.

I too had to wait until it was warmer to fix it. I"m going to do a thread when I do the passenger side for others. When the top cap wouldn't align correctly with the Targa seal I'd found that I had installed the adjustment nut on the wrong side of the door and had to do the whole thing over again.

I don't know if this helps you now, but I installed everything including the metal brackets with the vent window and seals as an assembly, and like you, used packing tape to hold the whole mess together. I tapped the assembly in slowly from the rear corner and once seated used a pilot to line up the retainer brackets for the window. Once the B Pillar was bolted in correctly ( 2nd time was the charm) I could adjust it so that the corner would seat correctly on the top seal. It should adjust in an "arc". This is a concurrent....meaning before you tighten the retainer brackets completely. That is important to know.

Maybe the adjustment nut is installed incorrectly? Post a pic.

Hope this helps.
+Quote Post
North Coast Jim
post May 25 2017, 10:37 AM
Post #10

QUOTE(914_teener @ May 24 2017, 02:01 PM) *

QUOTE(North Coast Jim @ May 24 2017, 09:18 AM) *

Mike

I had this same problem when I did my drivers side vent window seal.

While Mark did a great job producing this part....the assembly of this is TOTALLY logic dependent for a good outcome.

I too had to wait until it was warmer to fix it. I"m going to do a thread when I do the passenger side for others. When the top cap wouldn't align correctly with the Targa seal I'd found that I had installed the adjustment nut on the wrong side of the door and had to do the whole thing over again.

I don't know if this helps you now, but I installed everything including the metal brackets with the vent window and seals as an assembly, and like you, used packing tape to hold the whole mess together. I tapped the assembly in slowly from the rear corner and once seated used a pilot to line up the retainer brackets for the window. Once the B Pillar was bolted in correctly ( 2nd time was the charm) I could adjust it so that the corner would seat correctly on the top seal. It should adjust in an "arc". This is a concurrent....meaning before you tighten the retainer brackets completely. That is important to know.

Maybe the adjustment nut is installed incorrectly? Post a pic.

Hope this helps.

If your talking about the adjusting screw at the bottom of the B pillar yes I have the screw assembled correctly with the slotted end thru the door and a nut washer on the outside. I can then adjust the bottom of the B pillar in or out with ease with a screw driver after loosening the nut. Ask me how I know this. Did the same thing you did once.

Funny thing I took the chance to move the B pillar with the adjusting nut inward at the base (toward the middle of the car) and got a better result for both the B pillar cap location and the top of the window at the targa sail area. Seems counter intuitive but it is better. Still not where I want it but getting better.

Man Mikey's rubber parts are hard to work with. Good just hard to work with.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post May 25 2017, 10:55 AM
Post #11

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

This seal is problematic to install because of the glass. It wants to slide around. It took me 2 tries to get mine straight. Even the OEM ones are no fun.
I did do a tutorial awhile back this may help

The shrink wrap really helped me.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...gle+window+seal
+Quote Post
North Coast Jim
post May 28 2017, 08:44 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(North Coast Jim @ May 22 2017, 04:55 PM) *

The project Scarecrow is coming down to the finish line. Being a Scarecrow we've had to source many parts that were not on the car as sold originally. The Barn Find having been picked clean as a parts donor over the years. Couldn't pass up a 25 year old rust free shell, a 74 2L, and the rest is history. There was No rust on this shell and all the original seam sealer is intact. Original battery tray too. Hell hole is a sight to admire nothing but dust here. I see no evidence of any sheet metal work having been done. Car is straight in all respects.

Car is running but one of the last items to complete is to add the seals around both roll up windows inclusive of the seal at the top as part of the removable targa top. I've been at this for over a week now and no amount of reading posts on World, reviewing the Haynes manual or other sources of information has gotten me any closer to a solution. I provide a few pics. The B pillar seems to be too forward at the base and not tall enough at the top. I can see light at the rubber cap fitting at the top. Tried to capture it one of the pics. With the window rolled up all the way there is a gap to the targa top seal of about 1/4". It doesn't even come close. No amount of adjustment gets me any closer. I'm using 914 Rubber seals exclusively.

I've read where are there are a couple different targa top types. Are there differences in the top at to the top of the door window ?? Has the track that hold the seal ever been shimmed moving it down toward the top of the window. What about the B pillar ?? Are there different lengths and mounting styles ?? Top of door gap is larger then elsewhere. Don't think plays in the problem and again no amount of adjustment gets this gap minimized.

Any other suggestions for me. This is frustrating. By the way I hope to have this car at the Stoddard's swap meet June 4th. 100 mile drive an a fresh rebuild. Hope it doesn't rain. Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

Still working the window seals with little success. I did notice a peculiar issue today and am hoping for Worldy insight. Each roll up window glass has a logo/part number with "Delour-1, DOT52M93 A52 LIZ.Sekurit" What is interesting is one window, the drivers side has the logo on the inside of the glass. On the passenger side it's on the outside of the glass. Did someone in the past secure window glass to the wrong slider ?? Besides tint or no tint option I see that there are two different part numbers for window glass. Is the actual glass the same for both windows and the difference is how it is attached to the lifter. My bet is there are different glass windows one each for the driver and pass side.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:29 AM