Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Window adjustments, Seals not aligning with the window
North Coast Jim
post May 22 2017, 02:55 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,450
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

The project Scarecrow is coming down to the finish line. Being a Scarecrow we've had to source many parts that were not on the car as sold originally. The Barn Find having been picked clean as a parts donor over the years. Couldn't pass up a 25 year old rust free shell, a 74 2L, and the rest is history. There was No rust on this shell and all the original seam sealer is intact. Original battery tray too. Hell hole is a sight to admire nothing but dust here. I see no evidence of any sheet metal work having been done. Car is straight in all respects.

Car is running but one of the last items to complete is to add the seals around both roll up windows inclusive of the seal at the top as part of the removable targa top. I've been at this for over a week now and no amount of reading posts on World, reviewing the Haynes manual or other sources of information has gotten me any closer to a solution. I provide a few pics. The B pillar seems to be too forward at the base and not tall enough at the top. I can see light at the rubber cap fitting at the top. Tried to capture it one of the pics. With the window rolled up all the way there is a gap to the targa top seal of about 1/4". It doesn't even come close. No amount of adjustment gets me any closer. I'm using 914 Rubber seals exclusively.

I've read where are there are a couple different targa top types. Are there differences in the top at to the top of the door window ?? Has the track that hold the seal ever been shimmed moving it down toward the top of the window. What about the B pillar ?? Are there different lengths and mounting styles ?? Top of door gap is larger then elsewhere. Don't think plays in the problem and again no amount of adjustment gets this gap minimized.

Any other suggestions for me. This is frustrating. By the way I hope to have this car at the Stoddard's swap meet June 4th. 100 mile drive an a fresh rebuild. Hope it doesn't rain. Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 09:29 AM