Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New ACC. Cable / Clutch Cable Conflicting, Sometimes getting gas / higher revs when depressing clutch...
MikeInMunich
post May 23 2017, 06:24 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,674
Region Association: None

That says it all. We weren't successful installing the new accelerator cable without getting it somehow twisted / conflicting with the clutch cable.

Looking for more tips beyond those already discussed here in other threads on this issue on how to avoid this. We should pull it back out to the firewall and try again, I presume, but we are 100% blind, just pushing it into the tube and looking for it to come out near the pedal. Is it at all possible or not to be SURE that there is no conflict, and if so, then please, by all means, describe how to do it.

Thanks very much!

With best regards,

M.i.M. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ljubodraz
post May 23 2017, 07:00 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 17,312
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Mike, I used a borescope camera to ensure they weren't twisted before finalizing connections. You can even position a phone or regular camera to take a few blind photos by the pedal cluster or forward access hole. Even with camera I had some difficulty seeing what was what.
+Quote Post
wndsrfr
post May 23 2017, 07:01 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 10,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(MikeInMunich @ May 23 2017, 04:24 AM) *

That says it all. We weren't successful installing the new accelerator cable without getting it somehow twisted / conflicting with the clutch cable.

Looking for more tips beyond those already discussed here in other threads on this issue on how to avoid this. We should pull it back out to the firewall and try again, I presume, but we are 100% blind, just pushing it into the Tube and looking for it to come out bearbthe pedal. Is it again all possible or not to be SURE that there is no conflict, and if so, then please, by all means, describe how to do it.

Thanks very much!

With best regards,

M.i.M. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Just did the same thing....know your pain. Takes great peace of mind...and body contortions. The throttle cable easily gets looped under the clutch fitting. I put my phone camera down in the access hole to get a picture of it....then just lifted it up by touch and then adjusted the additional slack out at the rear. Once that's done, it won't conflict.
+Quote Post
saigon71
post May 23 2017, 07:27 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 10,428

I just went through this too over the winter.

The borescope is a great idea if you have one. If not, use an inspection mirror so you can see if anything is routed wrong when making the final connection.

+Quote Post
Amphicar770
post May 23 2017, 07:32 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 11,639

+1 on the borescope. You can buy them dirt cheap these days (even the Harbor Freight unit is decent) and you will quickly find all sorts of uses for it, especially on the 914.
+Quote Post
ljubodraz
post May 23 2017, 08:27 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 17,312
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Being a CSOB, the Harbor Freight borescope was too rich for my blood. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I bought an awesome hi-def lighted borescope with a 30' USB cable that plugs into my laptop. There are many to be had in the $15 range on amazon. The head is small enough for spark plug holes. Lots of uses.
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post May 23 2017, 08:39 AM
Post #7

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

'ol skool: flashlight and inspection mirror (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post May 23 2017, 05:13 PM
Post #8

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

Why not attach a thin nylon fishing line to the pedal end before pulling the cable out of the tube ? Seems like the line could be pulled by the pedal cluster and guide the new cable and prevent twisting around the clutch cable ?
+Quote Post
LowBridge
post May 23 2017, 05:19 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 19,045
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(ljubodraz @ May 23 2017, 10:27 AM) *

Being a CSOB, the Harbor Freight borescope was too rich for my blood. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I bought an awesome hi-def lighted borescope with a 30' USB cable that plugs into my laptop. There are many to be had in the $15 range on amazon. The head is small enough for spark plug holes. Lots of uses.

I have the HF and I did not think of looking for one that would USB into a PC (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post May 23 2017, 05:23 PM
Post #10

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ May 23 2017, 07:39 AM) *

'ol skool: flashlight and inspection mirror (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
r_towle
post May 23 2017, 06:53 PM
Post #11

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

This has never happened to anyone ever in the history of 914 ownership....except maybe half the boards members.

If you unhook the accel cable at the pedal, hold it and push the clutch pedal , you will feel it get pulled, typically it wrapped once around the clutch cable and you can try going around the cable in both directions, one direction will free the cable.

When you get it all back you will need to adjust the accel cable again, it's too long now,
+Quote Post
Hine62
post May 23 2017, 07:15 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 15,000

I used my phone one video with the light on to see what was going on. I had the acc cable over the clutch mechanism.
+Quote Post
falcor75
post May 24 2017, 05:21 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 15,176
Region Association: Scandinavia

Removing the steering wheel is a great help prior to any work down in the pedal area on the drivers side..... takes less than a minute to do.
+Quote Post
MikeInMunich
post May 24 2017, 02:19 PM
Post #14

R_Towle gets my vote for best answer! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

Thank you all for your helpful feedback!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_flagge6.gif)

+Quote Post
MikeInMunich
post May 24 2017, 02:20 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(r_towle @ May 23 2017, 04:53 PM) *

This has never happened to anyone ever in the history of 914 ownership....except maybe half the boards members.

If you unhook the accel cable at the pedal, hold it and push the clutch pedal , you will feel it get pulled, typically it wrapped once around the clutch cable and you can try going around the cable in both directions, one direction will free the cable.

When you get it all back you will need to adjust the accel cable again, it's too long now,

Thanks man! Appreciate the solid tip! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

M.i.M.
+Quote Post
MikeInMunich
post Jun 25 2017, 02:00 AM
Post #16

Update: problem solved. I finally took the time to get down under there and get my left hand as far into the tunnel as possible to get the accelerator cable to go UNDER the clutch cable tube (?) whereby it had been on the top side of it. An adjustment at the throttle was not necessary. Idle speed did not change. It took 5 minutes. Note: someone with fat hands and wrists would have a hard time pulling this off, not to mention in my estimate that anyone who weighs over about 215 lbs wouldn't be able to get down under there very well anyway without taking the steering wheel off.

Glad that's now taken care of. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

M.i.M.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:00 AM